Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7 vs V9?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by mrkabam, Sep 15, 2016.

1. mrkabam

mrkabam Just got it firing!

I am new to moto guzzis. I think the V9s are quite nostalgic looking and want to buy one. But then i see so many variations of the V7 line..

I am not a MG expert but from the numbers it seems the V7 grossly outsells the V9.

What are some reasons people favor the V7 over V9? Besides the look (which is personal preference) is there something about the V7? The lighter weight improves handling?

Is it just a cost benefit? (I cant see how $2000 would sway someone to a V7 vs. V9 when you can just go buy used and save a ton more).

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

The V7 has been around much longer than the V9. The V9 is a new model introduced this year. Give it time and plenty of V9s will be around. A friend of mine in Colorado just traded in his very high mileage (somewhere between 300 and 400 thousand miles) Jackal for a V9 and he likes it.

3. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

I think a lot of people prefer the more traditional Guzzi look of the V7 along when practical features like the 5.8g tank.

That said, there's a lot to like about the V9. I would happily own one too.

4. jkristjan

jkristjan Tuned and Synch'ed

Both of the bikes sell on looks and vibes mostly and as such, V7 and Roamer seem quite redundant. The Bobber however is a territory completely uncovered by Guzzy so far, it's competing with Harley Street Bob/48 kind of things. It's not without a reason it has he fat front wheel and blacked out design. It attracts different buyers, people like me who would have not bought any other Guzzy and who didn't and will not know anything else about Guzzi than just coming across that V9 and loving it. And that very same state of affairs explains why the V9 is not received well by the existing Guzzi enthusiasts - it just isn't supposed to.

5. Dale Baker

Dale Baker Cruisin' Guzzisti

6. Clayton Sietsema

Clayton Sietsema Cruisin' Guzzisti

Great video, wish they would have included a R9T and of the bikes they do show I'll stick with my Griso. Those of you that haven't ever ridden one with one of Todd's tunes in it are really missing out.

7. motoguzziman

motoguzziman Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Has anyone done a power comparison ?
    Its all right going on about bits & bobs, but , as I have previously stated : While touring on the Breva 750 , I have sometimes wished for just a bit more power.
    So, assuming the V7 750 cannot be much different to the Breva 750 .... How much more true power , does the 850 roamer have ?

As I have stated before, the only thing that stopped me frrom rushing out & getting one, was that the tank , was only 15 liters !
    For an 850 , that is a joke !

I am busy with the boat at the moment, but once that is sorted, I will be looking into one of Todd´s Roamers w a 22 liter tank.
    Cheers
    Happy New Year to All

8. GuzziV65TT

GuzziV65TT Cruisin' Guzzisti

V9 are lovely, used our bobber demo a lot this year and it's a nice machine. Fuel economy is stunning , got that little extra grunt that the v7 needs

Now hepco have released some racks the v9 looks even more attractive

V7 feels a shade small and underpowered after the v9

I'd be quite happy with a v9 roamer and a rev counter

9. GuzziV65TT

GuzziV65TT Cruisin' Guzzisti

I was averaging 60mpg on our new demo .. that's 180 ish miles on a tank ... I'm sure petrol stations come up in less miles than that and I for one cannot sit on a bike for that long without a break!

10. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

It's significant.

The 2TB smallblocks like the Breva we rated for something like 48 HP at the crank, but only dyno'd around 38-40 rwhp.

The 1TB Heron head V7 models were rated around 50 at the crank and dyno'd around 40-42 rwhp.

BUT THE V9 is rated at something like 55 at the crank, but has dyno'd around 48-50 rwhp.

That's like nearly 20% at the wheels.

That's significant. And the owners of V7 models I know who have demoed the V9 agree it's noticeable.

Poppe likes this.
  11. Joerg Stoeckner

Joerg Stoeckner Tuned and Synch'ed

After this year's disappointment on EICMA, though, I am not giving up and now hoping for 2017 EICMA to reveal a V7 styled bike with a 850 ccm (or more) engine.

I know power aint anything and most of my driving time I am really more than happy with the V7 but I cant deny
    I am missing that specific punch from time to time ....

Anyway, for now I keep customizing and driving my lovely 2011 Classic since the V9 is of a style that an old fart like me would never buy.

12. Mr Pootle

Mr Pootle Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm with you there, Joerg. I can't look at a V9 and find it attractive in its standard form. The V7, on the other hand, looks good to my ageing eyes.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  13. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

Another report from a long time Guzzi rider (with an impressive stable) who thinks the power increase on the V9 is significant (in his words "very noticeable").

His current stable:

16 XL1200 Roadster
    '15 V7 Custom
    '15 Monster 821
    '14 Cali Custom
    '06 Griso
    '04 Ballabio
    '14 Vespa GTS300 Super

So he's no newbie or stranger to much more powerful bikes.

14. Joerg Stoeckner

Joerg Stoeckner Tuned and Synch'ed

that seconds my desire to get the v9 engine in a v7-styled model.

I know it's "Ceterum Censeo", sorry for that

Poppe likes this.
  15. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

GT-Rx® 820-2V kit??

16. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Why not GT-Rx Roamer kit (when it comes) dropped into a V7! Ha

17. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

What's that?

18. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Nothing yet I don't thin, but I figure Todd will do some kind of big bore kit to the V9. Then have that in your V7.

19. MJPTexas

MJPTexas Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have about 150 miles on my Roamer. I've made detailed comments in other forums so let me summarize here:

V9 is a better bike in every way than the V7. I traded in my 2015 V7 Special with 3,000 miles so do have a fair comparison:
    - Feels substantially more powerful.
    - Roomier.
    - Smoother.
    - Feels more 'planted', which was my only real complaint with the V7.
    - The tank is 1/3 of pint short of 4 gallons. It's bigger than the tank on the new Bonneville T120s. Given the mileage I'm seeing 150-180 miles will be easily attainable on a tank of gas. My old butt and bladder usually needs a break before then anyway.

That's the summary for now. I'll be happy try and answer any specific question.

Poppe likes this.
  20. Cylvabirch

Cylvabirch Just got it firing!

Just before they closed for business, Corsa Italiana here in U.K. showed a lovely V9 fitted out with a V7 tank. It looked fantastic.