• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7111 suspension and misc mods

Rzr

Just got it firing!
I’m new to forum but have had my Stone for two seasons and 30,000 Kim’s . Here are some of my mods .
Givi windscreen . Looks good,fits good but works not so good. Too much buffeting. Added MRA deflector shield I already had and made big difference. Not perfect but I can live with it. Givi luggage and side racks . Nice but overbuilt when used together. Got Triumph bags cheap and mounted them to 1/8 aluminum plates with notches on bottom that mount on bottom spools on rack . I put a bolt on top that goes through existing hole on rack and fastened with wing nut I have way of securing. Easy on and off .
Emgo top box . Cheap,nice size for bike with good mounting system. Seams flimsy but has stood up well with no leaks despite not having any gasket. Metzeler Roadtec 01. Great tires ,especially in rain . Got twice as many miles as Sport Demons . I use heated jacket a lot without any significant voltage drop . At 268 watts alternator output I think you would need to use LED headlight to be able to use heated grips .
Did a lot of work and measurements for new shocks . My goal was to increase stroke as much as possible without raising ride height too much. I took accurate measurements of weight with full tank of gas and rear and side racks . Came up with 267 lbs on rear wheel and 213 on front . Could probably deduct 15 lbs from rear without racks on . I’m 5-7 and 180 lbs with all my riding gear on. This weight is distributed exactly
2/3 on rear and 1/3 on front . I made full scale drawing of rear suspension with movable swing arm and mapped out every combination of shock length and stroke . One interesting note is that wheel travel to shock travel ratio is constant so you can accurately measure sag at shock . I settled on 20 mm increase in length of shock for total of 370 mm and increased stroke by 25 mm to 105 total . This increases wheel travel by 29 mm while only increasing ride height by 14
mm. I shaped hockey puck for bottom of side stand . The Givi luggage rack tube behind shock had to be eliminated because new shock body is at top . I welded top rack to side racks where they mount to rear subframe. Lots of heavily loaded miles with no problems.

Because of COVID lockdown in Canada I ordered shocks in Canada . The forum store has similar shocks that would have been cheaper and easier to figure out. If looking for used shocks here’s some info you need . Mounting bolts on bike are 12 mm . Shock width at eye is 20 mm with bushing sticking out one mm each side for total bushing width of 22 mm . 22 mm is critical because of way left shock bolt is on inside at top and outside on bottom. Any difference will tilt shock sideways. You can also find different bushings to adapt . Also just because a shock is longer ,if stroke is to long it could hit fender .
I’ve done three valve checks and have not had to adjust them yet . I switched to CR8EIX iridium plugs . I checked with NGK on this . No difference in performance or fuel economy but should last way longer .
If you haven’t replaced plastic fuel filter do it ASAP. Mine left me stranded the first season I had the bike .
Photo with bags on has old shocks with tube running behind . Other pic shows new shocks with tube removed . Sorry about long post . Hopefully there’s some useful info for someone. E7422451 940F 49B9 89E0 0C6EE1895AEA 4A781783 835F 4AA8 875B 466E0B16E1EA

Last edited:
Nice work!
I'm going the opposite way, as far as windscreen. Going to try the smallest one I could find, the Piranha.
Those bags look excellent!

If I didn’t ride in such crappy weather all the time I’d go with a smaller screen too . The deflector screen in sport version works well with a short screen. Even in lowest position it really cleans up airflow.
The bags took some getting used to after my last set which could hold all my camping gear inside and not leak .
Now everything goes in baggies before going in saddlebags and the rest goes in dry bag on the seat .
It used to drive the BMW guys crazy that I’d put aluminum panniers on a sport tourer.

0EDA7CCD 780F 4C1D 805E 00DF6D2C3388

Thanks! Here's a different view. I would like to give it some more rake to better align with the lines of the bike- but that would reduce its effectiveness. And, it would take some fabrication to ease fitment around the headlight and to adjust the brackets and/or mounting points.
Also, I overstated in saying that I went the same route. I did get the Givi saddlebags but haven't installed them. I think your Triumph set looks terrific- better than the Givi's would. I also didn't try a top mount- it's been my commuter/skedaddler rather tan touring or distance riding. I picked up shocks from here and a lot lot of other kit- rhizoma tail tidy and brake resevoir cover, did the fueling to complement the Zard exhaust, picked up a used tank strap etc etc. It's been fun. Took it out for the first time in a few months last Sunday, and appreciated the ride. Still wish I could slap on a turbo or something, haha, but I'll have to keep some other toys to scratch that itch.
Anyway, thanks for sharing the specifics on your shock engineering, I'm sure that will help some folks out when they weigh options!

Parking Side

Back