• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 C-S Suspension Thread

The Matris can be dialed in to give a smooth freeway ride (over the typical expansion joints?). I have to say I am spoiled by my longer travel dual sport / adventure bikes. I put Traxxion (branded as touratech) shocks on my old GSA 1200 about two years ago and it just soaks up bad roads. Same with my KTM 690 enduro, which I believe has 10 inches of travel.

I intend to keep the V7iii a long time, so really looking for quality at this point. The bike has about 250 miles on it right now, and it is breaking in with regards to the suspension, brakes, and overall smoothness. I actually want to ride it stock for a while to see what is what.

The rear shocks have a damping adjustment. I have not adjusted that or the preload. They seem a bit stiff, I weigh about 220 with gear.

Previous owner of my Stone II has replaced stock suspension(back) with ORAM shocks. I believe they are these: oramsospensioni.it/moto-twin-mtwin

I have no clue are they better or worse than originals. Feels pretty soft. Has anyone experience about these ones? Should I replace stock shocks back?

I think the general consensus is that any aftermarket shocks are better than stock unless you weight like 140lbs

I weight 165 lb and I feel every single bumps on the road with my stock shocks...including the pebbles the size of 3/8" nut...

Makes me wonder if this bike was supposed to be a dirt bike to begin with...

So yes, I would say majority of the aftermarket shocks will be better than the stock ones.

I am starting to like my soft orams. I will keep them installed because the main reason I changed away from custom bikes was tailbone pain issues.

Todd just delivered (well, UPS helped) my new Matris piggy back shocks custom sprung, to my office,

Under two weeks order to at my door. How in the world he managed that I don't know. Chrome springs to match my Anniversario to boot.

Hope to mount them up this weekend.

Now am looking what to do with the forks. Love this bike and am not against spending some coin on her, but the Ohlins front fork Todd is working on is likely too much for me, not that it would not be worth it I am sure. Darn.

I didn't know chrome spring were an option.... thanks for that.
My dealer has installed Race Tech springs and emulators in the forks of my V7 Special III. Sorry I can't provide an evaluation, I take delivery next Tuesday.

Paul

Under two weeks order to at my door. How in the world he managed that I don't know. Chrome springs to match my Anniversario to boot. Now am looking what to do with the forks. Love this bike and am not against spending some coin on her, but the Ohlins front fork Todd is working on is likely too much for me, not that it would not be worth it I am sure. Darn.
Your timing was perfect on getting them before Matris closed for August (they rushed them to collect the $ I'm sure on this order).
As a minimum, I recommend the base FKE kit; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/matris-v7-full-fork-kit -- but from there, you are pretty close $ wise for the full adjustability of the F15K; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/matris-v7-f15k-full-cartridge-kit -- which is a no brainer in my book. Drop in, no machine work necessary like the RT offerings.

Got the shocks on and took about a 15 minute spin over some bad pavement freeway areas that have been beating my but. Much more compliant. Can't wait to dial them in.

The sections where I would wince at and feel the need to rise off the seat are just ordinary bumps that don't bother me.

I notice when I sit on the bike the suspension actually moves a bit now.

I have the RT springs and emulators in my V7ii. Yes, not drop in, some drilling is required to fit, but I can confirm it works well when set up properly.

The stock fork set up is crap.

After the first 1000 miles of punishment on my stock suspension (200 lbs.), I decided to bite the bullet and choose one of the many suspension upgrade options curated by Todd for my V7ii. It took me a while to warm to the idea of spending an additional $1000+ after purchasing the bike and highly-recommended re-flash tool, but I just couldn’t stop riding it, and every time I went out, the spine-rattling experience slowly convinced me that the upgrade was needed.

After reviewing the options in this thread, I settled on RT IFP shocks and RT springs. Immediately after placing my order, I started researching all of the other options in greater depth, and quickly came to the conclusion that I’d better buy the hybrid kit that Todd put together for the front forks. Luckily, I caught him right before they shipped, and he happily added the kit to my order.

Since it was the height of the riding season when I ordered (late May), and demand was high, it took longer than advertised to receive the shocks, but after installing them along with the fork kit, I can say that it was well worth the wait. With stock suspension, I was rattled and jolted constantly, and the bike didn’t hold the road well on anything other than perfectly smooth pavement. Riding was literally painful. Now, after less than 100 miles on the new set-up, as so many others have said, I’ve found it to be confidence-inspiring in most every situation – most notably on rough pavement around corners, where previously I’d have to scrub speed to maintain control. Though not quite a magic carpet ride, it’s heaps better than stock, and feels like the bike I wanted all along. A quick note here; when I first took her out after installing shocks and the fork kit (or rather, after having them installed), I was worried that that the new suspenders might be a little stiff. After the first 50 miles or so though, it’s loosened up and feels great. I understand in reading through this thread that this is to be expected with new suspension. Also, as delivered, sag was close to the recommended lengths at the beginning of this thread, so I haven't bothered fine-turning it yet.

The only downside I can see so far is that the vastly-improved suspension is now highlighting my desire for more power... and more upgrades. But, I guess that’s not such a bad thing. A big thank you to Todd for putting these bits together and helping to make my bike a true joy to ride!

I think the general consensus is that any aftermarket shocks are better than stock unless you weight like 140lbs
Actually no, its worse. I'm a lightweight rider 135lbs and stock suspension was horrible. The stock springs are rated for #175lb riders.

I'll have a few sets of lightly used RT shocks available soon. Rider weight 175-200 lbs. contact me direct email, or I'll post them on the Auction page soon.

Last night I found where someone gave the centre to centre length of the Kayaba rear shocks on the V7iii Special. I mis-copied it as 850mm, which is clearly wrong. Now I can't relocate the info. The post also warned about the series 3 shocks being shorter than the series 2. I'm assuming that I meant to write down 350mm, but I must be sure because I'm buying new ones. Can/will a kindly person please tell me what the length really is, and the diameter of the mount holes would no doubt be handy too.

I don't have access to any Guzzi to measure for myself.
Ta!

Anybody had any experience with Wilbers shocks? I've ordered a pair of these for the right price.
wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcycle/Moto-Guzzi/V7-II-Stone-LW-wilbers-1/Shock-absorber-type-630-TS-Road.html?cur=5?manufacturer=dl91e05422dc5692c4ca327051a98bad&year=2017&catname=dfe3102bcfe7ce8c37427cf7614a7d74
They're custom made for my bike, weight, usual riding style etc. The only person I've spoken to who's used them was very impressed.

Anybody had any experience with Wilbers shocks? I've ordered a pair of these for the right price.

A few months ago II replaced the OEM shock on my 2016 Honda CB 500X with a Wilber's unit. I'm very happy with the results and it appears to be a quality built item. They're very popular with the BMW crowd too. They can be sourced in the US from Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop. He's one on the best suspension guys for BMW's in the business and can get components for any marque.

OEM shock on that Honda wa only marginally better then th OEM unit on the Guzzi, in other words it sux too.

Paul

Back