Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7C-S Suspension Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Mar 31, 2014.

1. TweeZ4

TweeZ4 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

I'm still into research about suspensions and setting up rear shocks with separate compression and rebound setting. The question is about the balance between compression and rebound damping. Whenever I buy good shocks I will have to dial them myself, thats why I seek for info.
    So can anybody comment on my conclusions:
    1) If I set up right sag (30%) and the preload is zero - does this mean that the spring is fairly firm for my weight (but still appropriate)? Or does zero preload (when the sag is correct) reflects ideal spring rate for my weight? Or should there be at least some preload on the ideal spring rate?
    2) Lets assume that the spring is fairly firm, and I seek for maximal comfort. Is it correct that I should reduce compression damping and increase rebound damping for the softer ride? Cause I want firm spring compress easier and rebound not so fast.

Do I make right conclusions about how suspension works?

2. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Tuned and Synch'ed

Working on upgrading my Stornello suspension to give a bit more ride height, longer travel and of course better stability and comfort.

I've ordered a set of Hagon Enduro/Trail shocks at 420mm, and a set of K-TECH fork springs with 7.5 spring rate and changing out the fork oil with a lighter grade (5 to 7.5) to see how the stock valving reacts to this.

Questions:

1- Draining the oil out of the front forks. I'm assuming that the drain bolts are in the center of the lower part of the fork which will necessitate the removal of the front tire. This will definitely make pumping the forks to get all the old oil out interesting, but may just let it sit and drain/drip

2- Fork Oil level and recommended weight? Is this measured by volume or physical? Factory is 10W if I recall, and am thinking about 7.5 or possibly 5. I'm tracking 120ml with inserts/emulators, but not sure about plain old spring. Of course I need to look at the owners and service manuals.....

3 - Are there spacers in the forks of a V7ii? If so I assume they are at the top of the spring? Anything I need to be prepared for when I take off the caps other than to expect the cap to pop up from being under pressure?

4. Will report back. once I get all bolted in and on. Setting sag will be interesting...... Hagon is setting up the shocks with 3 spring pre-loads, the lowest being just my weight with two higher for when loaded with luggage or a pillion. The K-TECH fork springs do not call for a spacer, and as you all likely know there is no preload adjustment on the stock front forks. Here's hoping!

3. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Tuned and Synch'ed

Much of this depends on your preferences. I prefer a bit more compression damping and less rebound, want the tire to stay planted as much as possible. Too much rebound damping and downward travel will be slowed. I don't like how this feels. But YMMV. Sag of 30% is reasonable. Where the shock is in the preload range is immaterial based on sag.

4. Erik V7III

Erik V7III Just got it firing!

hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and i am the proud owner of a V7III stone.

As i found out, i'm not the only one who is not a big fan of the stock suspension. I find that the damping is quite shitty, and that the rear starts "shaking" when I drive faster trough corners. its a mess really. I did adjust my preload. I think i did it right.. since it helped a bit, but most problems are still there.

Anyway, while reading this topic I found out that the experience here is only based on V7 I and II models. The V7III suspension topic has only like 5 messages.

So my big question, Do most of the results and experiences here also apply to the V7 III ? If not, how much better are the V7III shock. Will Ikon for example make a huge difference?

and second, when i am looking for a suspension upgrade, whats the way to go.. Fork first of shocks first? (ofc both.. but lets say the budget has to be spread)

Ciao,

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Hi Erik, congrats and welcome to the GT Forum & Guzzi Famiglia. Hope you'll add your info to the Registry here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.9108/

The MY17+ rear shocks are noticeably better than the MY09-16 versions. However, yes, they are still low OEM budget spec units. What do you weigh? Springs have a small weight range, and the valving is part of that spec. Check out the Store tab above under the Suspension section. I only offer what I consider a real upgrade, as they are built to your weight and riding style only. Off the shelf versions (like Ikon and similar) are simply OEM replacement as pricing reflects.

As to which, is like saying all of the shocks on my car are bad, which should I replace? The forks are low budget Korean Kaifa forks, so having a balanced (front to rear) ride is very important. Debates argue that the shocks is what you sit over, so up to you in the end.

Hope that helps. Write me direct email with any product questions on the Store; Todd at GuzziTech.com

6. Michael Boeglin

Michael Boeglin Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Hey, I see a number of you on this thread have installed the GT Hybrid Fork Kit. I just got mine and am planning the install. I've reviewed the documentation and it left me with some questions about how exactly to go about this. Anyone have any tips or tricks to share? Did you run into any problems or make any mistakes you would be willing to share? Is it feasible to do this with the bike on its side stand or will I need to elevate the front end? Many thanks for any assistance!

7. Joseph McDermott

Joseph McDermott Just got it firing!

Here is a comparison between fork components across the models from Breva to V7III (all data on stone models from V7 on). Not a lot of changes for a long time, looks like the most significant change is spring and stanchion (fork tube) on V7II and V7III. I need to replace my bent stanchions (minor bump) and despite the part no. change it looks to me like the earlier stanchions would be compatible as well as more common and cheaper! Given all parts except spring are the same and aftermarket springs available fit both V7 and V7II it seems reasonable they would fit. Anyone know for sure?

I'm getting delivery of a pair of Nitron R1 shocks for the rear after Christmas, I'll update this thread on how they perform. I'll be raising the front forks and reducing the oil weight to the same as the V7III to see if I can sharpen up my V7II a bit.

upload_2018-12-13_2-18-10.png

8. GT-Rx®

I sure do... and hardly anything outside of the OD is the same. Caps, spring, damper rod, etc etc... all different.
    I am a Nitron dealer, just assumed no one would spend that kind of money on them here;
    https://gtmotocycles.com/products/nitron-v7-twin-std-shocks
    https://gtmotocycles.com/products/nitron-v7-v9-twin-piggyback-shocks

Poppe likes this.
  9. Joseph McDermott

Joseph McDermott Just got it firing!

To be clear I'm referring to the front forks here not the shocks: The parts lists for the models checked against a few parts websites indicates mostly common parts, it seems unlikely they would share part numbers for different parts, e.g. cap for all models = 887894.
    wendelmotorraeder.de/fork-parts-fork-plates-v7-ii-racer-750-15-16-abs-ex-30_3003_300303_30030301_3003030110_300303011006.html

On the shocks for the rear: A bit cheaper for the R1's on this side of the pond: nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=13613&prodID=87870 (about $760). Look like a good fit for the V7 II with length adjustment =/- 5mm. I'm looking to set up my V7II as close to the V7III as possible reducing the ride height and steering angle (slide the forks up, V7 II = 27.5deg, V7III 26deg). I'll also change the fork oil from SAE 7.5W to 5W.
    [​IMG]

10. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

GT-Rx® likes this.
  11. GT-Rx®

You didn't... I just added them since our new friend Joseph brought them up, and we (GTM) are a Nitron dealer. We didn't have them listed as most complain of the high cost of the offerings here as is. Since he was violating the basic policy on hyper-linking to offsite competitors for similar products offered here, I added them. The K-Tech offerings HERE give a great bang for the $ -- then there's the Matris awesomeness from there.

Poppe likes this.
  12. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Very cool. I’m still a few months out before I can do suspension, but when I get there, I’ll shoot you another email to begin the process on what makes sense. I was looking at the ohlins, the matrix, and the gt ones, but the nitron creates a snag.

Even still it’s all a mystery to me what makes sense, which is why I’ll email you when the time comes.

13. Michael Boeglin

Here is my ‘13 V7 Stone/Special with Sato rearsets and LSL speed bars, and added the GT hybrid fork kit and Progressive shocks.

21586F1E-CFB9-4B51-85BB-3DF42269BAAD.jpeg

Poppe likes this.
  14. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

what progressive shock did you use and how is it doing? weight?

15. Michael Boeglin

Hi, those shocks came with the bike. It’s from Seattle, home of the now-gone Moto International. The old owner wrote Guzziology and had a popular link to a set of Progressives you could get from Parts Unlimited. They were listed as off-road shocks but for whatever reason they fit the V7s well. Designated as 14 Series O/R. According to the book, they are part number PS1240B plus the PS1322B 75/155 springs. I’m planning to replace with something from Todd when I can afford, but for now they are better than OEM. Guzziology is recently updated and available for free download if you Google it.

16. GT-Rx®

Question Michael, curious if the top and bottom mounts completely clear the frame? This has been a problem on some of the multi-fit application shocks.

Unrelated/related: Since Prog Susp is local to me, with a scheduled appointment, I stopped in a few years ago with a handful of twin shocks from various models. They gave me a tour, and told me how I could assemble shocks from their parts list, uninterested in anything I brought. They are focused on where the $ is (HD, rightfully so), and the few models that their owner or staff is interested in. I left really disappointed. Parts Unltd is a distributor only, not retail.

I anyone wants to throw money at trying them (stepped spring preload adjuster only dirt bike shocks, with heavy duty springs for riders over 200 lbs is the spec stated above) for $255/set, I can get them as parts to assemble from my distributor, and can put them on the online Store. Post below or best to email me direct; Info at GuzziTech.com

On a side note and posted above already, I recently added a nicely made purpose built-to-order (length also) twin shock line for $399; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/products/gtm-s2w-ifp-twin-shocks

Poppe likes this.
  17. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord Just got it firing!

I saw an article somewhere on here that dropping your forks was a good thing to do, well tried it at the weekend and the difference is massive. The handling of my V7iii Carbon was okay but didn't inspire that much confidence (could be the standard tyres) but after lowering by 15mm, amazing.

Only six screws and away you go; so if you're only ever going to do 1 thing to your V7, do this, you won't regret it (and it doesn't cost a thing? :) Before and after below.

I kept the relationship with the headlight the same as there's not a massive clearance between the clutch cable and the speedo and I didn't want to cut some new spacers, but I might have to make some for the top now...
    IMG_3179.JPG IMG_1636.JPG

18. avlis

avlis Tuned and Synch'ed

I dropped mine about 12mm but haven't ridden it since.

19. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed

I'd like to do the same to my 2013 Special, is the frame geometry the same as the 17?

20. Michael Boeglin

Hi, Todd just seeing your question from a few months ago. I have no clearance issues with these shocks. I saw quite a few V7s in Seattle with this setup, presumably because Moto I was recommending and installing them.

Disappointing to hear your experience with Progressive! Michael