Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7C-S Suspension Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Mar 31, 2014.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Combined your posts with this thread. Read from the first page. Unless you are an extreme lightweight, reducing spring preload makes things way worse. Sag is critical, and will tell you instantly if the shock on the bike is adequate or not. Likely not for all normal sized adults.
    You will no way/no how will you get a twin shock V7 to ride like a monoshock off-road machine. ;)

2. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

I’m feeling better ... ( no he’s not, he’ll be “Stone” dead in a week ! [Holy Grail quote])

Much better last night only a couple of bone jarring cracks made it to me!
    A few more cranks and out again tonight

But Todd, they said I could get the same 9” of travel on this bike as the Honda ( not)

I think I’m learning - the spring force/rate has to work with the damping of the shocks,

Spring too soft - hit a pothole/expansion joint the bike drops, shock compresses quickly and I get the Jolt
    Stiffer spring/more preload - same circumstances the event occurs the spring slows the compression the shock slows the rebound .
    ( I’m asking if I’m “getting it” Not stating ...)

Thanks,
    Don

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  3. DeadEye

Much better now, and the difference between highway driving and bad local road is significant.
    It’s great on regional back roads !
    I can put the thought of having to look for new suspension on the back burner for a while.
    But I did find these beauties ! Only 189$ for matched GOLDEN paper weights !

CheapieChina-PBShks.JPG

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

NOT.
    It does, it all revolves around available travel and damping. Most above Italian average weights, use a great deal of available travel, and the twin shock bikes are nearly 1:1, meaning the wheels moves 1", the shock nearly compresses 1". If you have 2" of shock travel, and use 1-1/2" just sitting on it, you can see the dilemma, and add compressing the oils/gas in the shocks to ~75% and it's a disaster. Softening the spring preload means you will use more base travel when simply seated.
    There's a TON of good info online, so I can't expand much further here.
    Those garbage Chinese shocks are indeed $189 paperweights(!).

Poppe and Mayakovski like this.
  5. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Shocks are the FIRST thing to get right on any motorcycle. $189.00 crap Chinese stuff is an insult to paperweights everywhere.

DeadEye likes this.
  6. DeadEye

This rock contacted me about filing a suit claiming It was a Better Suspension component than those Pictured above
    images.jpg

I had to refuse as I'm not a lawyer, I was a geologist...
    I think it was Loosing its Marbles... :nerd:

( I couldn't think of a Granite pun... )

Mayakovski likes this.
  7. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I recently installed the Matris Standard rear shock to replace my stock BiTubos. Noticeable improvement on first ride with only doing basic pre-load and damping adjustment. I'll post a better review after I get things dialed in. I really tried to make the BiTubos work for me. I replaced the stock springs with weight-rated Race Tech springs (and lots of adjustments) and it helped but it didn't solve my issue. I can't believe they sell the BiTubos for 1K, it makes the 190.00 knock-offs look like a reasonable option.

After nearly being launched (not the first time) on a ride this spring, I said to myself I'm done screwing around and ordered the Matris shocks from the Store. Thanks for offering real solutions to our bikes GuzziTech! I did the Matris pre-load kit on the front in 2015. After 8 years and 18K miles I can now say my bike is fully sorted. My only question is why did I wait so long? (Oh I know, I'm a tightwad) Don't be like me, just do it and be happy you did.

Mayakovski and GT-Rx® like this.
  8. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

The Öhlins suspension units on the 2017 V7III Racer were definitely a big part of the draw to this bike for me. Once fitted with the correct weight springs for my weight and dialed in, they do a perfect job. :D

9. tikimatic

tikimatic Just got it firing!

Hello. This might be a silly question but : Is it doable to install new shocks without a bike stand ? Switch the right side then left side while the bike is leaning on the bike leg stand)

Mayakovski likes this.
  10. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

yup not a problem

Mayakovski likes this.
  11. tikimatic

tikimatic Just got it firing!

Just in case someone wonders the same as I : I confirm TonUpRacer"s comment : It's not a problem at all. Very easy. Thanks TonUpRacer.

Mayakovski likes this.