• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 C-S Suspension Thread

Are the shock on the V7 Racer a decent upgrade for the V7 Stone? I'm 185 - 190 Lbs and looking to improve my suspension. This is what the dealer is offering.

Are the shock on the V7 Racer a decent upgrade for the V7 Stone? I'm 185 - 190 Lbs and looking to improve my suspension. This is what the dealer is offering.
No they are not unless custom made to order, which is not likely. If they are ordering the part # from their system, they are all set up for lighter riders. See my first post of this thread regarding your weight range.

Wow, just wow. Got a package today with some Racetech shocks in it. Got them installed and went for a ride. Sheesh. Another huge improvement. I was under the impression that my forks were as good as they could get, they rode so well. Now the back of the bike rides better than the front! I have a little dialing in to do, set up the sags and rebound dampener, but it is really close to perfect just bolting them on! Worth every penny. I'm finally getting this bike to be the one I wanted all along....if that makes sense..LOL. Image Image

Hi,

That's exciting news. Please let us know how the tuning goes. If this bike, 'stock', rides poorly, which is to say that title doesn't just ride vintage (which is kind of what I'm looking for for to run the errands and putter around on), I may have to do the suspension upgrades that are being recommended here. It's as important to be able to predict a bikes behavior as it is to control it.

Timothy.St. John

Wow, just wow. Got a package today with some Racetech shocks in it. Got them installed and went for a ride. Sheesh. Another huge improvement.
Right? Thanks for the purchase and post Mike.
So that history doesn't repeat itself... I've invested a huge amount of time and money to have these developed with RT, and offer them in the online Store; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/suspension/rt-twin-shocks/v7-rt-twin-shocks/ -- Thanks for the orders here, instead of RT, as I don't get a penny or credit if purchased direct.

Mike, Are the RT's mounted upside down (given the reference picture in the first post)? Or does it matter?

Are the RT's mounted upside down (given the reference picture in the first post)? Or does it matter?
They are IFP (Internal Floating Piston), so it doesn't matter. My set shown was inverted per my request.

Hi,

That's exciting news. Please let us know how the tuning goes. If this bike, 'stock', rides poorly, which is to say that title doesn't just ride vintage (which is kind of what I'm looking for for to run the errands and putter around on), I may have to do the suspension upgrades that are being recommended here. It's as important to be able to predict a bikes behavior as it is to control it.

Timothy.St. John
I was at the point where I had to do something with mine. The road I live adjacent to is so rough, and the stock suspension so lacking, it was a bad combination. I was feeling the effects in my lower back and shoulders.
The original shocks would bottom out, as well as the forks. Now the suspension works over the entire travel range, without bottoming. The bumps are dampened enough, that I am more aware of them as I hear them, rather than feeling them.

I bought new set of koni shocks (7610-1623 Ikon Spring and Body Code: SP14 (Black body, black spring). Was wondering if anybody recommends changing the front fork and if it will make a difference.

I bought new set of koni shocks (7610-1623 Ikon Spring and Body Code: SP14 (Black body, black spring). Was wondering if anybody recommends changing the front fork and if it will make a difference.
This is for your V7, correct? I merged this with the V7 suspension thread, so start from the beginning here. Ikon bought Koni many years ago, so do you have Ikons or Konis? Unless they were sprung and valved to your weight, they really aren't much better then stock. I bought a new set to try in '00, and they were terrible. It is very important for the bike to compress and rebound equally, as well as the sag set correctly. The Matris Fork kit allows adjustment for this, on top of providing a superior ride.

Going to Install the matris Kit soon. So, the springs have to be compressed while finding the oil level? Was that the final consensus?

are There any special tools needed like a oil level gauge or compressor tool?

The directions that came with the Kit have some iffy sections. Like when it says step 7 in the pic. What crossbar?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 26
Install the flow valve, and spring. Compress the tube until lightly seated, then add/bleed the oil then measure the level. Once done, pull the fork tube up, install the spring spacer and top cap. Pretty easy stuff.

This is for your V7, correct? I merged this with the V7 suspension thread, so start from the beginning here. Ikon bought Koni many years ago, so do you have Ikons or Konis? Unless they were sprung and valved to your weight, they really aren't much better then stock. I bought a new set to try in '00, and they were terrible. It is very important for the bike to compress and rebound equally, as well as the sag set correctly. The Matris Fork kit allows adjustment for this, on top of providing a superior ride.
Thanks for your advice. I meant Ikons. I gave the distributor my weight. Have not received them yet. hope I didn't make a mistake. Will try the Matris Fork Kit. Is it difficult to set up the compression and rebound?

On which? For the fork kit, everything is pre-set... the only variable is spring preload.
Thanks Todd. I'm under 175lbs.. I see the kit for my weight without springs. Do I use the OEM springs or do you recommend purchasing a different set of springs?

Last edited:
Thanks Todd. I'm under 175lbs.. I see the kit for my weight without springs. Do I use the OEM springs or do you recommend purchasing a different set of springs?
If you're over 170 in gear, you should get the kit with springs. If you want the Kit without, you would use the stock springs.

Just got out for my first ride with my newly upgraded suspension. Me 135lbs street clothes, bike 2013 V7 Racer, I'll add more specific data points when I get to doing some tuning. Right now I just put some seat of the pants guesses for preload because I was so anxious to go for a ride after a long winter. Upgrades were: Race Tech springs front and rear with the Matris fork kit. Much improved ride quality. Hard hits such as RR crossing and sharp bumps at speed no longer result in me being launched from the saddle. Washboard pavement easily soaked up. Bumps . Mid corner bumps easily mananged and front felt planted. I suspect with a day or two of "tuning" I'll have a bike that will do everything I want it to. My cost was just north of $600 for everything.
NIKON%2B003.JPG
NIKON%2B004.JPG
NIKON%2B006.JPG

I'm becoming more and more ready to pull the trigger on upgrading suspension for my '15 V7S. I'm around 165 geared up.

I have been looking at matris in the GT store, but I'm not sure if I should try to find a less expensive option for my weight. Any advice is appreciated :)

Back