Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7C-S Suspension Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Mar 31, 2014.

1. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

In my case it was pretty obvious, getting thrown from the saddle on hard bumps, losing grip in corners, generally uncomfortable. I tried every adjustment with stock gear and found I need to make some changes and as rbm states you are in the optimum weight range so it may be just right for you. I'm a lightweight, so new springs front and back were the ticket. Put more miles on and see how it works, if its good great, if not there are solutions.

2. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

As well as changing with rider weight I have found that the suspension also changes with temperature. I am 75kg kitted up (165lbs) and find the suspension at both ends too rigid when it is below about 20C - but better when it is warmer. On warmer days the fluids must be less viscous and the damping reduced.
    Unfortunately the bike is in UK and this year it has not often been above 20C......

Two up the standard suspension works much better - on the softest rear setting preload - so to my mind both the springs and damping are too hard for me.

My bike only has 1200 miles on it so I am hoping that the suspension may loosen up before the fillings in my teeth do.

AndyB

3. organfixsing

organfixsing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I tried to adjust the rar shocks on a new Stone II. The right hand shock was very stiff and hard to adjust (I had previously backed off the grub screws).
    The thing got so bad, I took the shock off the bike to be able to put it in the vyce and operate on it.
    The outcome of this was that I managed to remove the adjustment ring with some difficulty, but, the thread on the shock was mangled.
    Looking at the thread on the adjustment ring, it had some sort of clear (relatively) goop on the thread where the locking grub screw hole was. It did not seem to contain aluminium, nor did it appear to be Locktite,
    The thread on the adjustment ring appeared to be OK, but, the thread on the shock was rather worse for wear.
    I purchased a thread file (at no small expense) and proceeded to clean up the shock threads by hand ( the 'goop in the adjustment ring flicked out with a little persuasion) and eventually had the threads clean enough to be able to put the adjustment ring with little hand pressure.
    I then proceeded to adjust the sag (which I think skould be around 28mm) and achieved 30mm.
    I decuded that was near enough.
    One of my points here is that the bike, (as delivered) had the adjustment ring about halfway up the threaded portion of the shock. I have achieved 30mm sag with about 6 - 8 mm from the bottom to achieve 30mm sag.
    I had been looking at Matris fork solutions, but, I want to try thing further before I commit to that.
    The ride is so much better than it was as delivered which makes me wonder about pre-delivery?
    I am 83 Kg, add to that 5Kg for gear, so about 85Kg or 187lb.
    Hope thi helps,
    Cheers
    Brian

4. Clancy

Clancy Just got it firing!

I had EXACTLY the same problem with my new Stone II.
    The aluminium adjustment ring now looks mangled from trying to back off the preload.
    Although I considered returning the shocks on warranty, I decided I wouldn't be putting them back on the bike anyway.
    But I did advise the dealer & Pete Roper about the problem.
    (I had hoped that my being only 70kg would mean I could get the stock shocks to work for me, but no, I hate them).

5. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

Same as Clancy - I am 68kg naked and have the rear shocks set at their softest setting which is still too hard, particularly in UK tempertures when the damping oil is stiffer ......OK with a pillion so I may just get a sack of potatoes to carry on the rear seat
    When I get time I want to try a lighter grade of oil in thefront forks to ease that end of the bike

AndyB

6. organfixsing

organfixsing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I must add that since the threads on the shock are mangled and therefore weaker than before, I have added a wormdrive clamp on the threads below the adjusting ring to perhaps minimize problems should the weakened threads let go. I put one on the other side also just for symmetry.
    Cheers
    Brian

7. mnguzzi

mnguzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

Spray some dry lube on the threads prior to adjustment, that will help. Also spraying some dry lube on the bottom of the spring where it meets the adjustment ring helps it slide and twist if need be.

8. adan

adan Just got it firing!

I've read this entire thread with great interest because I'm contemplating getting a V7 II. I had a V7C, which I upgraded to Ikon shocks, stock forks. That upgrade was necessary, in my view, just to make the bike tolerable. But I've always wondered whether the V7 could be transformed into a really decent roadster with the right suspension. I have no serious complaints about the engine -- sure I'd like a little more power but given my riding style it doesn't matter that much. I always felt like it was the suspension (and probably the bias ply tires) holding me back on twisty roads.

So my question is, how good is the V7 once it has good suspenders? Is there another bike you can compare it to as a reference point, like say a Monster?

It's either going to be a V7 II for me, or a Griso (which I have also owned in the past).

Thanks,

Adan

9. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Hi Adan, no twin shock bike is going to match the action of a rising-rate mono-shock. My RentAGuzzi.com V7 Racer (the test mule for most of the products here) is REALLY good with the RT piggybacks and Mupo fork kit; But compared to stock, not to a Griso. My RentAGuzzi.com Griso has a Mupo Evo1 Mono and Matris cartridge kit. It is down right amazing. If you're in the area, you can come ride either for 4 hours mid-week for almost half price, and see for yourself.

scudracer likes this.
  10. Joe Kletch

Joe Kletch Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I think it's a great bike once you get it setup. But it is a small lightweight bike, the sort I haven't ridden in many years so I am still getting used to it. Running the gauntlet on the freeway for a 30 minute commute leaves me a big more shagged than doing the same on my previous giant BMW GS. That activity is pretty low on my riding priorities these days. I had it out on the twisties a week or so ago and absolutely sure I got the right bike. Now if I can make some time to load it for a camping trip...

11. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I think a better comparison would be a Triumph Bonneville/Thruxton or HD 883 Sportster. I've owned the Sportster and ridden a Thruxton and I prefer the Guzzi to both. It's lighter than both, and is more unique. The Thruxton was smoother, faster, and maybe even a bit more stable at speed but I still like my Guzzi better. The Guzzi does everything better than the Sportster except for dealer support. I've also owned a Monster and like Todd says it's not a fair comparison especially the newer Monsters. Since you've owned a V7 you know what to expect. My upgrades made a big difference in handling and overall riding comfort. At the same token, don't expect miracles, if you want a bike with more power and better handling there are many bikes that will outdo the V7. For my riding style and body type it's a perfect match. My question is why did you part ways with the V7 in the first place? You may not find a "do-over" the right answer.

12. adan

adan Just got it firing!

Thanks for the replies. My story is that I started on the V7, then had both the V7 and the Griso for awhile, then sold the V7 because the Griso was did much more for me both from a riding perspective and just pride of ownership. Then financial hard times hit and I sold the Griso. Now I really want another Griso (we've recovered financially), but the question persists whether a sooped-up V7 might be enough for me. But I tend to think Todd is correct, that there's only so much improvement one can expect given the chassis design.

I drive from SF to SD a few times a year, so I actually could stop in and try Todd's bikes. I'll be looking at suspension upgrades regardless of whether I get a V7 or a Griso. The stock Griso suspension is pretty good, but at the same time you can feel the bike has so much more potential.

13. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

Late Mk I Stone with Kaifa forks. Rider 75kg kitted up.

I removed the forks and drained the oil - 280ml in one side and 320ml in the other. Nice to know that MG don't consider the volume to be critical! I replaced with 280ml of SAE 4 Aeroshell (as used in old BMW Airheads). Now the front suspension works. Over bumps the rear end is still too rigid but the front end softens the bumps which it did not before. I have not altered the preload so there is no extra dive when braking hard.

Head bearings seemed tight so I loosened those slightly - and the weave I had at very slow speed is now not there.

A good morning's work.

Sorting out the back end will not be so straightforward! Unfortunately we don't have easy access to the parts that Todd sells this side of the pond.

AndyB

14. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

Well as explained with another posting that was taken down I have my front end sorted out very well using pre load adjustment (PCV pipes and self made adjusters) and a lighter 5 weight oil. No more jolt at all from the front, very smooth and still get a very well controlled ride on all road surfaces.

Rear shocks Hagon offers many options. Have a set with pre load adjusters and dampening adjusters and springs matched to my weight and riding style. Those guys are great helping you get it right the first time.

The on line fit chart need to be up dated but any shock that fit the earlier V7 line still fit the new V7's all the way out to the new V7-2. So on that chart anything that will say 2010 V7 will fit, they just for some reason have not up dated that chart. I made them aware of it but for some reason they have still not up dated that online fit chart. You can call them to confirm and it's best to call them to get the proper springs for your weight.

The prices are very reasonable and competitive with anything else out there. None of this $1000,00 or $1,500.00 dollar a pair thing going on with the pricing. You can get high end shocks for under $600.00 or even something better then OEM for under $250.00 that compare to anything else offered up for this bike.

All that being said I no longer get jolted, nice on the back and a very comfortable ride. Best 500 bucks I ever spent.

15. GT-Rx®

Glad to hear you have your bike sorted. As I said before, there's all kinds of band-aid fixes. For those who don't mind spending money on well-engineered products, I've done all of the homework, and I offer the products on the online Store linked above.
    Most decent companies won't update years of bikes until they see them personally. Makes good business sense.

There's tons of products out there, and Hagon is a known brand. The offerings I have in the Store are ones that I personally have bought and worked with the vendors to insure they work and fit properly, and in turn have begun offering them here. I'll be taking my V7 II to RT on August 10th, for them to build shocks and a fork kit (so that most anyone can even go around me to order - which happens often). The below shock can be had for $699 with preload adjust only - contact me direct. They are 100% Made in the U.S. CNC, custom-built shocks. Nothing cast, nor are they mass produced and put on the shelf, with (even more rare) simple spring swaps to suit; Valving and springs work hand-in-hand. You get what you pay for.

I'm working hard at not taking posts like this personally, as I invest a HUGE amount of time and money in what I offer here... and in fact, MOST of the products that are available for Guzzi here only exist because of this. I've levered my connections in the Industry, and journalistic connections to get this done.

[​IMG]

Jorge Sarse likes this.
  16. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I understand completely!

17. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

One thing I can say you direct people in the right direction. Have never heard a complaint about the products you offer. Everything you sell obviously is well checked out and that is what you offer. Makes good sense and takes the trial and error out for folks. Keep up the good work.

18. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

Well damned those shocks are not that much more then what I paid and they look very nice indeed.

You should have pulled me aside a bit more with an e mail and talked me into those.

19. rbm

rbm Cruisin' Guzzisti

Realm Engineering is also offering high quality emulsion rear shocks for the V7, and at very attractive prices. The series being offered is RAM shocks. The shocks are manufactured to spec -- rider weight, riding style, colour, etc. -- and are highly adjustable. It's good to see that V7 owners have product choices and product support like that offered by Todd for his product range.

20. GT-Rx®

Mupo just informed me they are now offering their V7 Fork Kit for the Kafia fork; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/mupo-v7-v7ii-full-fork-kit/
    However, what I will be putting together to offer here soon, is a hybrid kit using the Mupo emulator valves (since I'm a big fan of them per the video at the start of this thread), along with the Mupo preload caps, with or without springs as needed. I'll post again once I have the kit online.
    Stock springs in the Kaifa forks are .68kg, far too soft for almost every V7 owner.

volloy likes this.