• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 C-S Suspension Thread

Same as Clancy - I am 68kg naked and have the rear shocks set at their softest setting which is still too hard, particularly in UK tempertures when the damping oil is stiffer ......OK with a pillion so I may just get a sack of potatoes to carry on the rear seat
When I get time I want to try a lighter grade of oil in thefront forks to ease that end of the bike

AndyB

Same as Clancy - I am 68kg naked and have the rear shocks set at their softest setting which is still too hard, particularly in UK tempertures when the damping oil is stiffer ......OK with a pillion so I may just get a sack of potatoes to carry on the rear seat
When I get time I want to try a lighter grade of oil in thefront forks to ease that end of the bike

AndyB
I must add that since the threads on the shock are mangled and therefore weaker than before, I have added a wormdrive clamp on the threads below the adjusting ring to perhaps minimize problems should the weakened threads let go. I put one on the other side also just for symmetry.
Cheers
Brian

Spray some dry lube on the threads prior to adjustment, that will help. Also spraying some dry lube on the bottom of the spring where it meets the adjustment ring helps it slide and twist if need be.

I've read this entire thread with great interest because I'm contemplating getting a V7 II. I had a V7C, which I upgraded to Ikon shocks, stock forks. That upgrade was necessary, in my view, just to make the bike tolerable. But I've always wondered whether the V7 could be transformed into a really decent roadster with the right suspension. I have no serious complaints about the engine -- sure I'd like a little more power but given my riding style it doesn't matter that much. I always felt like it was the suspension (and probably the bias ply tires) holding me back on twisty roads.

So my question is, how good is the V7 once it has good suspenders? Is there another bike you can compare it to as a reference point, like say a Monster?

It's either going to be a V7 II for me, or a Griso (which I have also owned in the past).

Thanks,

Adan

So my question is, how good is the V7 once it has good suspenders? Is there another bike you can compare it to as a reference point, like say a Monster? It's either going to be a V7 II for me, or a Griso (which I have also owned in the past).
Hi Adan, no twin shock bike is going to match the action of a rising-rate mono-shock. My RentAGuzzi.com V7 Racer (the test mule for most of the products here) is REALLY good with the RT piggybacks and Mupo fork kit; But compared to stock, not to a Griso. My RentAGuzzi.com Griso has a Mupo Evo1 Mono and Matris cartridge kit. It is down right amazing. If you're in the area, you can come ride either for 4 hours mid-week for almost half price, and see for yourself.

I think it's a great bike once you get it setup. But it is a small lightweight bike, the sort I haven't ridden in many years so I am still getting used to it. Running the gauntlet on the freeway for a 30 minute commute leaves me a big more shagged than doing the same on my previous giant BMW GS. That activity is pretty low on my riding priorities these days. I had it out on the twisties a week or so ago and absolutely sure I got the right bike. Now if I can make some time to load it for a camping trip...

I think a better comparison would be a Triumph Bonneville/Thruxton or HD 883 Sportster. I've owned the Sportster and ridden a Thruxton and I prefer the Guzzi to both. It's lighter than both, and is more unique. The Thruxton was smoother, faster, and maybe even a bit more stable at speed but I still like my Guzzi better. The Guzzi does everything better than the Sportster except for dealer support. I've also owned a Monster and like Todd says it's not a fair comparison especially the newer Monsters. Since you've owned a V7 you know what to expect. My upgrades made a big difference in handling and overall riding comfort. At the same token, don't expect miracles, if you want a bike with more power and better handling there are many bikes that will outdo the V7. For my riding style and body type it's a perfect match. My question is why did you part ways with the V7 in the first place? You may not find a "do-over" the right answer.

Thanks for the replies. My story is that I started on the V7, then had both the V7 and the Griso for awhile, then sold the V7 because the Griso was did much more for me both from a riding perspective and just pride of ownership. Then financial hard times hit and I sold the Griso. Now I really want another Griso (we've recovered financially), but the question persists whether a sooped-up V7 might be enough for me. But I tend to think Todd is correct, that there's only so much improvement one can expect given the chassis design.

I drive from SF to SD a few times a year, so I actually could stop in and try Todd's bikes. I'll be looking at suspension upgrades regardless of whether I get a V7 or a Griso. The stock Griso suspension is pretty good, but at the same time you can feel the bike has so much more potential.

Late Mk I Stone with Kaifa forks. Rider 75kg kitted up.

I removed the forks and drained the oil - 280ml in one side and 320ml in the other. Nice to know that MG don't consider the volume to be critical! I replaced with 280ml of SAE 4 Aeroshell (as used in old BMW Airheads). Now the front suspension works. Over bumps the rear end is still too rigid but the front end softens the bumps which it did not before. I have not altered the preload so there is no extra dive when braking hard.

Head bearings seemed tight so I loosened those slightly - and the weave I had at very slow speed is now not there.

A good morning's work.

Sorting out the back end will not be so straightforward! Unfortunately we don't have easy access to the parts that Todd sells this side of the pond.

AndyB

Well as explained with another posting that was taken down I have my front end sorted out very well using pre load adjustment (PCV pipes and self made adjusters) and a lighter 5 weight oil. No more jolt at all from the front, very smooth and still get a very well controlled ride on all road surfaces.

Rear shocks Hagon offers many options. Have a set with pre load adjusters and dampening adjusters and springs matched to my weight and riding style. Those guys are great helping you get it right the first time.

The on line fit chart need to be up dated but any shock that fit the earlier V7 line still fit the new V7's all the way out to the new V7-2. So on that chart anything that will say 2010 V7 will fit, they just for some reason have not up dated that chart. I made them aware of it but for some reason they have still not up dated that online fit chart. You can call them to confirm and it's best to call them to get the proper springs for your weight.

The prices are very reasonable and competitive with anything else out there. None of this $1000,00 or $1,500.00 dollar a pair thing going on with the pricing. You can get high end shocks for under $600.00 or even something better then OEM for under $250.00 that compare to anything else offered up for this bike.

All that being said I no longer get jolted, nice on the back and a very comfortable ride. Best 500 bucks I ever spent.

Glad to hear you have your bike sorted. As I said before, there's all kinds of band-aid fixes. For those who don't mind spending money on well-engineered products, I've done all of the homework, and I offer the products on the online Store linked above.
Most decent companies won't update years of bikes until they see them personally. Makes good business sense.

There's tons of products out there, and Hagon is a known brand. The offerings I have in the Store are ones that I personally have bought and worked with the vendors to insure they work and fit properly, and in turn have begun offering them here. I'll be taking my V7 II to RT on August 10th, for them to build shocks and a fork kit (so that most anyone can even go around me to order - which happens often). The below shock can be had for $699 with preload adjust only - contact me direct. They are 100% Made in the U.S. CNC, custom-built shocks. Nothing cast, nor are they mass produced and put on the shelf, with (even more rare) simple spring swaps to suit; Valving and springs work hand-in-hand. You get what you pay for.

I'm working hard at not taking posts like this personally, as I invest a HUGE amount of time and money in what I offer here... and in fact, MOST of the products that are available for Guzzi here only exist because of this. I've levered my connections in the Industry, and journalistic connections to get this done.

One thing I can say you direct people in the right direction. Have never heard a complaint about the products you offer. Everything you sell obviously is well checked out and that is what you offer. Makes good sense and takes the trial and error out for folks. Keep up the good work.

Well damned those shocks are not that much more then what I paid and they look very nice indeed.

You should have pulled me aside a bit more with an e mail and talked me into those.

Realm Engineering is also offering high quality emulsion rear shocks for the V7, and at very attractive prices. The series being offered is RAM shocks. The shocks are manufactured to spec -- rider weight, riding style, colour, etc. -- and are highly adjustable. It's good to see that V7 owners have product choices and product support like that offered by Todd for his product range.

Mupo just informed me they are now offering their V7 Fork Kit for the Kafia fork; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/mupo-v7-v7ii-full-fork-kit/
However, what I will be putting together to offer here soon, is a hybrid kit using the Mupo emulator valves (since I'm a big fan of them per the video at the start of this thread), along with the Mupo preload caps, with or without springs as needed. I'll post again once I have the kit online.
Stock springs in the Kaifa forks are .68kg, far too soft for almost every V7 owner.

On my 13 the stock springs are soft but then the 10w fork oil was too heavy which caused hydraulic lock or dampening fade. Put in 7.5 weight which helped free up the front end then added pre-load adjusters (home made), working with pre load and oil weight helps but these damn springs are just too soft to start off with.

This kit could be the ticket. About time somebody came out with a progressive style spring for these "K" front ends.

I've been saying all along this front end need progressive front springs.

Somebody said you can't use progressive springs in this front end, I knew that was not correct.

But should you?

Straight-Rate Springs vs. Progressive Rate Springs
Over the last 20 years, one of the biggest changes in the aftermarket motorcycle suspension world has been the virtually complete switch from progressive rate springs to straight rate ones. I think it’s safe to say that there’s not a single reputable suspension tuner who advocates progressive springs. The question is why? What’s the problem with a progressive rate? Why are straight rate springs better?

One of the problems is that bikes, street bikes anyway, just don’t have enough travel to take advantage of progressive rates. The soft initial portion gets blown right through, leaving a limited amount of travel for the stiffer portion to deal with. This results in less compliance, less traction and a harsher ride. Another issue is damping; Damping rates, particularly rebound damping, need to be matched to the spring rate. With a progressive (i.e. variable) rate, that’s impossible. Damping is always a compromise and a progressive rate just makes the balancing act that much more difficult. Adding to the problem is that modern forks actually have 2 spring mediums, the steel coil and the air trapped inside. The air is intrinsically a highly progressive spring. Adding a progressively wound steel spring to the mix is just making a bad situation worse.

That was one of many statements I found searching for info on the subject. My exposure to progressive springs is limited to the time I owned and rode a Triumph Scrambler. Almost everything my fellow Bonnevillians professed turned out to be a bad idea. Progressive springs, Hagon or Nitro shocks, etc. Their approach to everything was comfort related. Unfortunately, if you didn't ride in a straight line, handling continued to be pretty poor. I had no idea my bike was so bad until I traded it for a Street Triple with a fully adjustable suspension (linear springs, btw). I sold that bike and bought my first V7. It handled about as well as my Scrambler. Unfortunately, Moto Guzzi doesn't share the large aftermarket that Triumph has. Finding anything that would help was a chore. Todd has done more to help the V7 suspension than anyone else out there. He's put a lot of work into finding and offering good products. The fact that he does not offer progressive springs and Hagon shocks only confirms his commitment to offering quality upgrades for your bike.

Do what you want. Your bike. I can guarantee that it will never handle as well as a bike Todd has influenced.

^ +1. Racetechs on back and the Mupo kit up front on my V7C....worth every penny. I could tell the difference in the first 100 yards....

I'm fortunate to have a shop where the owner is also a close friend. His shop is both RaceTech and Ohlins certified. In fact, for a few MG bikes and several of another brand he's one of the folks who supply field data and calibration settings to the factories, which are then passed on to consumers.
Every year I assist in installing front and/or rear suspension components on different motorcycles. This includes fork rebuilds (the fluid is almost always really nasty). Point is at this shop progressive springs are never used as per the quote above.

Back