Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7C-S Suspension Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Mar 31, 2014.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yes, compress the tube fully to set the air gap. Top of the spring sounds about right.

volloy likes this.
  2. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

ok makes sense now, yea it was just under the spring half an inch or so. Thanks Todd. been sitting on this kit forever and the winter is a good time to get it done.

3. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

had another question which I can't seem to find an answer for. Folks talked about pushing the forks up in the triples 10-20mm for better handling. Once that is done, what is protocol for height adjustment in the rear shocks to coincide with the front?

4. GT-Rx®

Email me for the quickest reply... but the bike benefits from raising the forks 20mm, and leaving the shocks set to as delivered length.

francod123 likes this.
  5. A*D*A*M

A*D*A*M Just got it firing!

I tried this to get the frame more parallel to the ground and was a bit worried bout how handling was to be changed. Bike just got a bit quicker in the steering, but not nervous at all.

6. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

I had my forks at 15mm above the top T, but put them back to flush. I was occasionally getting a bit of a shimmy on the freeway at 80-90mph. Since going back to flush, this doesn't happen anymore. Of course, it may have nothing to do with how high the forks are in the T's because I also put LSL speed bars on the bike. Since I'm no longer in the "sit up and beg" position, my body is no longer acting like a sail and trying to pull the front end off the ground. That's what I get for doing two things at once.

7. GT-Rx®

Decreasing the rake would make the bike turn quicker and add to the stability. It's in the opposite direction where it would get nervous (think chopper vs. MotoGP bike). Look at my pics below for reference. The MGS-01 steep rake, and the Dondo long rake. The MGS is rock solid, the Dondo quite nervous.

A*D*A*M likes this.
  8. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Uh, I think you might be missing part of the story. Perhaps it is your verbage. Steeper rake vs less steep rake, or perhaps shallower rake, might be better.
    Dropping the triples / sliding the fork tubes up steepens the rake but reduces the trail. Steeper rake means quicker steering. Less trail can mean lighter steering but if you don't have enough trail it also can mean instability.
    Raising the triples / dropping the fork tubes gives you a shallower rake and more trail. Shallower rake does mean slower steering, but more trail means more stability. If you were to take the shallow rake thing to the extreme you could end up in chopper land, but that is way past what we are talking about here and not really relevant in my opinion.

sturgeon likes this.
  9. GT-Rx®

scudracer likes this.
  10. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

I guess I should've been patient. That's a nice looking kit and the forks don't need to be modified to use it (like mine were).

11. Kyle Lamson

Kyle Lamson Tuned and Synch'ed

I should have been patient as well. Have an order in for the Mupo kit and RT shocks. Probably would have gone for these instead.

12. motoangler

motoangler Just got it firing!

Has there been a road test of this fork kit. What is the level of adjustability in the damping? I have a GT hybrid kit waiting to ship when the GT twin shocks are ready. Would this kit offer much if any ride improvement over the mupo cartridge and matris preload adjuster?

13. GT-Rx®

There have been no tests yet. I've ordered a kit for the V9 as I hope to land one soon for RentAGuzzi.com duties. I'll post on it when I do. I have installed this kit on a Triumph Thruxton, and it is impressively better then the stock set up on those. I'll post more as I have it.
    For those who have ordered the hybrid kit and are still waiting, I will be happy to provide these at a minimal cost increased for the wait. Just let me know in advance/before I get close to shipping everything as I have to order these in built to your spec.

14. Mick Simmons

Mick Simmons Just got it firing!

Hi, I'm a new Guzzi owner, V7 STONE. In the owners manual it says the suspension height can be adjusted but it doesn't say how. I'd like to lower the bike a bit, maybe an inch. Can it be done? Thanks.

15. GT-Rx®

Mick, merged your post with this thread. The preload can be adjusted with the threaded lock rings on the rears shocks only. You can not alter the length/ride height. I strongly advise against sagging the springs to lower the seat height. I sell custom length shocks to do it properly, and can be of help with the front, though some just slide the forks up in the triple trees, which I recommend doing any way.

16. mwrenn

mwrenn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I installed my hybrid fork kit in the 2016 Racer today. Thought I would give a quick review. The kit is so much better than the stock forks, it is a night and day difference. The biggest thing I've noticed is that I am able to control the bike much better on rough roads, or while crossing rutted intersections. The suspension gives good road feel, while soaking up the more egregious bumps.
    All in all a huge improvement!
    Thanks to Todd for developing the kit and making it available!

GT-Rx® likes this.
  17. MotoPete

MotoPete Just got it firing!

Yes, contact eBay user mecadata-france

ohlins.fr/amortisseur-moto-moto-guzzi-v7-stone-2009-mg-760-pfp.html

18. dabrucru

dabrucru Cruisin' Guzzisti

hi all

i have a question re rear shocks. if i unscrew the top large nut of the shock, will the bike lower itself when i m on it? i like the bike lower.

thanks

19. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I'm not familiar with the adjustment for the model you are referring to, but if this is the preload adjustment, then yes the rear of the bike will go lower.

Note that despite popular opinion, this will not "soften" your rear suspension (assuming it is a linear and not a progressive spring). But this adjustment may increase the likelihood of the suspension "bottoming out" when the shocks reach the end of their travel, especially when carrying a pillion passenger or heavy panniers, etc.

20. Trout

Trout GT Reference

If you want to lower the back you will need shorter shocks.

If you lower the rear then you will also need to lower the front to maintain handling.

Not hard to do & if you decide to go that route we can walk you thru it.