Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7ii ABS brake bleeding.

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Jenko, May 28, 2016.

1. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi all
    I need to slacken off my front brake master cylinder banjo bolt to move the lever to a comfortable angle.
    Just in case I get air into the system, has anyone bled one of these brakes with the ABS system?
    In the past, I've never had problems bleeding brakes, but I've never done a bike with ABS. The brake hose doesn't just go from the master cylinder to the caliper, it goes to the ABS ECU, then to the caliper, so if air gets in at the master cylinder, in theory I'd have to drag it through the ecu and then to the caliper, which seems complicated.
    The reason I need to move the banjo bolt is due to fitting flat handlebars on my Racer, and the lever is now at a strange angle. I'll have to grind off the small lug on the cylinder that prevents rotation of the brake hose when the banjo is tightened, then move the hose round a few degrees. Just before I get someone telling me I only need to slacken the 2 8mm bolts on the brake lever clamp!
    Thnaks for any advice.
    Jenko.

2. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

I've bled a couple bikes with ABS now. It's pretty much the same drill, but, as you noted, you have a lot more fluid in the system. You don't need to cycle the ABS pump or anything. It will bleed just fine.

3. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

Ok, thanks for that. I'll keep you posted when I get round to doing the job.

4. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

I bled the rear brake on my '16 V7II ABS Stone last week, when I replaced the rear caliper (why I had to do that is another story). I don't think it would have made any difference with or without ABS, but I can tell you that with a Speed Bleeder alone I was NOT able to remove all the air from a dry caliper. After wasting most of a can of brake fluid, I went out and got a cheap vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight. That did the job.
    The problem with trying to bleed a new caliper with a Speed Bleeder alone is that air is inevitably trapped behind the pistons in the caliper. With the vacuum bleeder, you can first manually push the pistons all the way into the caliper and then pull fluid through to flush the remaining air out. In contrast, with the Speed Bleeder alone, you push the fluid through, and the pushing pressure moves the pistons outward enough to allow air to accumulate behind them. I tried orienting the caliper in all possible directions, shaking it, tapping it, etc., hoping that the air would rise into the path of the fluid and be flushed out, but to no avail. With the vacuum bleeder , bleeding was a cinch. I would conclude that, although the Speed Bleeder will be convenient for flushing the lines when all I'm trying to do is replace old, bubble-free fluid, it isn't sufficient (at least for me) for getting air out of the system, especially with new calipers.
    BTW, those aluminum crush washers that go on either side of the banjos (and should be replaced every time you loosen the banjo bolt) are wicked expensive if you buy the official Moto Guzzi part. Identical ones can be purchased in small quantities on ebay for less than 1/10 the price. The size is 10x14x1.6 mm.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  5. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  6. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

Not so economical if I need to hire an expert assistant like yours :)

sign216 likes this.
  7. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Don't skimp on shop supplies!

8. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

Wow!!
    Which shop did you get her from? I'm definitelygonna pop in there for some supplies!
    I bet those long hours in the workshop become so much more enjoyable when you have such perfect equipment to help!

sign216 likes this.
  9. sign216

sign216 High Miler

People wander into my garage, and some (most?) have no mechanical sense at all.

However for a few of them I don't mind.

Actually, it's a struggle to get "the right people" to come in. Know what I mean?

10. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

Well, even without the glamorous assistant like sign216 had to help, the job went easy enough. Little trick i used, put an elastic band on the front brake lever to apply a little pressure, but not enough to pull it all the way back to the bar. Then when I cracked the banjo bolt just enough to rotate the brake line on the master cylinder, pressure was trying to force fluid out, so no air could enter the system. Rotated the brake line (after filing the little lug off first), then re-tightened the banjo bolt.
    Overnight, used the old moto-x trick of zip-tying the lever back to the bar, just in case any air bubbles are present. Used it today, absolutely fine, no problem. Feels much better with flat drag bars.
    Whole job took about 20 minutes, and most of that was filing the lug off.

sign216 likes this.