• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7ii Racer

marshie787

Just got it firing!
Hey all. So have now been ontop of my 2016 moto guzzi v7 racer for about 4500km. Not its time to tinker.
Few questions:

1. Winter Riding
A) protection of speedo and electronics:
Have had times where starter may not engage, is this because it is damp? Do I need to protect the electronics/speedo from the rain.
B) Are there any rubber (yes not the best looking but probably most practicable) tank straps available so I can store my leather one for summer looks.
C) should I be changing tyre pressures? In melbourne(australia) temps range from -10 to 25 Celsius.

2. Time to tinker
A) building pillion rack, thinking mounting points on either suspension top fixture or under seat (two frame points) also tail spot just on top of fender/frame.

20180601 115127

I went through a bit on the pillion rack notion with the V7III Racer. I found the Moto Guzzi accessory "Small Luggage Rack (pn 2S000256)" and acquired one. At first, I didn't see how it would fit with the stock rear fender, so I talked with some folks and found that it can be fitted pretty easily if I dropped the fender down first, fitted it, then squeezed the fender back into place. It requires that I remove the rear seat cowling (which I normally do anyway), and it works with both the stock seat and with the "Gel Comfort" dualseat. With either seat, it provides enough space and load capacity to fit a 22L seat bag.

It mounts on the holes at the end of the frame under the seat.

(I found the dualseat alone worked fine for that bag so didn't use the rack on my last trip. I'll fit it for the next trip as then I can use it for the bag and strap a dry bag between me and the 22L bag on the monoposto seat's hump for additional load carrying capacity, to handle the rain gear and other incidentals I didn't need on this last trip.)

The leather strap is pretty but in just 1200 miles managed to scratch the heck out of the finish on my tank's paint. I've removed it, and polished out the paint so it looks okay again. I may replace it with a simple stripe decal... similar look, no damage, and easier to deal with when I need to do maintainence under the tank. $10 from an eBay supplier.

With stock tires, I ran the OEM pressures and added two psi to the rear for long high speed travel on my trip. That worked fine at temps up to 95 degrees F at 75 to 90 mph speeds. Now running Conti RA3 radials on tubeless rims, I run 35/38 psi and they feel great, temps from the 40-100 degrees F range.

The intermittent non-start sounds like a loose connection somewhere. The standard instrument cluster and wiring harness plugs should be fine in any weather sensible to ride in, but you can always improve the weather sealing with application of a bit of dielectric grease to seal them.

I always try to protect the bike from rain, morning dew, and dust when it's parked, as much as is sensible. A lightweight cover for travel or parking even in a garage is always a plus. The one I have cost me about $25 and packs down very, very small for traveling.

G

G,
You are a gentleman and a scholar.
So no need for the tank strap in reality? Just aesthetic looks?

Fabricating my own rack since I'm low on coin. It's coming along nicely. Should be done by tomorrow. Have needed to remove tail light. But not sure how? Does the rear fender have a pop out part underneath or what? Looks like hidden bolts.
Cheers for all advice. Do keep it protected under cover when parked overnight.
Eventually will purchase a 2-up seat for added load, that humps a bit annoying, looks nice and comfy but not practical.

Pic of brackets I've fabricated so far. Love steel. Fun times.

20180606 161530

You're welcome!

The tank strap is purely a decorative item; it has no function whatever for holding down the tank and basically just gets in the way. Because it has no function, they did it as purely a style thing with no real adjustability or tight fitment to the tank... or a good, soft finish on the back. Faux stuff like that always just annoys me, particularly when it damages the finish...! :)

The rear fender has an inner, stiffening matrix, as you can see in this snap from the V7III Racer parts book:

Racer rear mudguard

I don't have the V7II Racer parts book, but it's likely pretty similar.

*** I afterwards pulled down a copy of the 2016 V7II Racer (ABS) parts book. Yes, the rear fender is constructed identically. ***

I find the monoposto stock saddle more comfortable, and I never carry a passenger. With the rack I bought fitted, I don't really need the flat passenger section of the Gel Comfort dual seat ... so if you want one of the latter, send me a note if you are interested. (I don't need the rack on the bike day to day since I rarely carry much that I can't fit in a sling shoulder bag or in the tank bag. I only put it on the bike for travel purposes.)

enjoy,
G

Last edited:
Back