• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7iii rpm adjuster location

Sharon David

Tuned and Synch'ed
I can't find any direction for the rpm adjusting screw on my v7iii...
Any help, please?
Searched all the manuals back and forth
Thank you

What do you mean, "RPM adjusting screw"? Do you mean an "idle speed adjustment screw"?

If so, this doesn't exist: the idle RPM is set by the ECU and can only be changed by revising the ECU's programming (the "map"). The throttle is controlled by a servo responding to your action on the throttle cables, not directly by the throttle cables or the lever they move.

Correct idle speed on the V7III motor is about 1250 rpm.

My contact at Moto Guzzi engine development says he doesn't know any way to clear the V7III maintenance notification icon except using the dealer's diagnostic software. There's an outside chance that the GT-Rx ECU Flash Tool might be able to clear it, but since the maintenance notification hasn't yet come up on my bike (it doesn't illuminate for the first, break-in service, first time up is at the 6000 mile service), I haven't had any way to try it.

Luckily, the little service notification is just a wrench icon on the LCD and not bothersome; it doesn't light up or flash warning messages at you. That said, the mechanic at the dealer I bought my bike from, when I asked whether they would reset the service icon if I did my own service, said, "Sure. We have lots of customers who do their own maintenance. Just bring it in and we'll connect it up and turn the icon off, if you want." I like this dealer a lot. :)

(I'm used to this stuff now. I have the same issues with my Mercedes SLK280 ... when errors come up that are not user-resettable, I take a ride over to my friendly independent MBZ shop. He checks what the computer is complaining about, tells me if it's something that really needs to be attended to, and then resets the notifications ... I usually have to beat him over the head to get him to take a little money for the pleasure.

I have no idea how much an MBZ dealer service would charge me for that nonsense...! :D)

Last edited:
Same here, only finished brake in mileage.
I consider getting the gtrx diagnostic tool to!
Have a great weekend

I can't find any direction for the rpm adjusting screw on my v7iii...
Any help, please?
Searched all the manuals back and forth
Thank you

Righthand handle grip.
When seated on the bike grip overhand and twist back toward you for increased RPMs*.
It should be spring loaded and automatically snap back to lower RPM when you release it.

* Caution: This also adjusts/increases your enjoyment at the same time!

;)

Last edited:
any reason that MG set the idle speed so high on this machine ?
  • slow servo reaction time ?
  • keeping oil pressure up ?
  • lowering average fuel consumption?
  • help noobs starting off in that very tall first gear?

sure would like to have it down around 750/800

any reason that MG set the idle speed so high on this machine ?
  • slow servo reaction time ?
  • keeping oil pressure up ?
  • lowering average fuel consumption?
  • help noobs starting off in that very tall first gear?

sure would like to have it down around 750/800

It isn't a Harley. The higher idle is better for the engine.

just watched a youtube vid of someone restoring an old v7. (early 70's)
when he fired it up, it sat there at idle around 800 RPM.

yes i know my ears arn't calibrated, but it was certainly much lower than the 1,250 my goose idles at.
oh well....If that is how M.G. designed it, then thats what it is, nice high 2 stoke idle speed.

The big block touring engines have a very heavy flywheel/clutch assembly that stores energy, small carburetors where the intake velocities and resulting mixtures at very low rpm remain stable, and softer cams, all of which together allows them to idle slowly (nominally 800-950 rpm).

The modern small block engines like the V7III, V9, and V850 have shorter stroke, much much lighter flywheel, more valve area, bigger ports, etc; they are designed to idle at 1250 rpm +/- 100.

Now comes the saying " You could have got a Big Block" . The Guzzi folks trying to promote a smallblock as the same as a bigblock is BS. You don't see anyone comparing a LM3 to a V85. It would be embarrassing.

Back