Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V85 front end “hop”

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Sam V Napoleon, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Sam V Napoleon

Sam V Napoleon Tuned and Synch'ed

I am experiencing the dreaded front end “hop” that has been well documented on other forums. “Hop” happens at 35-45 mph. Wheels are true and balanced, suspension has been adjusted, tires have been changed...nothing changes other than how I feel the “hop”. Has anyone else experienced this? And more importantly have you solved it?? Would upgrading the suspension fix it? I want to upgrade to Matris but may not if the problem will persist.

2. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Brakes are the only culprit left. Bad rotors? Sticking caliper?

3. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

Mine had the hop and it stopped when I put on the A41 Bridgestones 90/10. Now on the second set of them. Hop, no more!

4. Sam V Napoleon

Interesting, I wonder why that would be.

5. jr1967

jr1967 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Could it possibly help to increase the damping on your rear shock. Just in case there is a teeter totter effect between front and rear with the pivot being the swingarm bearings. Just a thought and easy to try. Another quick check is front damping. I assume the springs front and back are too weak as usual but playing with damping settings cost nothing

6. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

If anything too strong. I have one turn preload on front and I’m 240

7. Sam V Napoleon

I guess I should say where I am on suspension at this point. Preload all out in the front, 12 clicks out on damping. I am second to highest notch of preload on the rear, damping one turn out. I weight 185 pounds without gear.

8. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

Well it's sounds like you've got quite a few combinations to try before you throw money at it :) . Peter

9. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

Sam, I'd go back to no preload on the rear. I can't imagine any more than 1 with your weight.

10. Sam V Napoleon

I tried that, no effect on the hop. I put it back up because that got me to target sag.

11. Sam V Napoleon

Yea I don’t want to throw money at it and still have the hop. I wanted better suspension simply to have better suspension...but not better suspension with a hop haha.

Moto-Uno likes this.
  12. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I'm wondering if the "hop" is being caused because you have too much pre-load. the shock is probably not moving (i.e. similar to a hard-tail) except on very large bumps.

I'm with Vagrant, I'm heavier than you and I have no pre-load. Remember pre-load does not change the rate of the spring, only the height (assuming linear springs).

13. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

What did you mean by "tires were changed?" Who did a re-balance?

14. GerryAZ

GerryAZ Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I agree with Vagrant and Kiwi Dave—I also have rear preload at the lowest setting and believe it would ride like a hard-tail at maximum preload without a passenger and luggage. Try reducing rear preload and then adjusting damping through entire range on both rear and front.

15. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

To give a different opinion on rear preload, I'm running second from the highest notch and am happy with it and no ill effects.

I changed the front tire recently and got a rumble from the front that felt a little hoppy, it seems to be calming down as the tire wears in though.

Sam V Napoleon likes this.
  16. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Please...

Assuming that the wheel rim and tire are both undamaged, then wheel hop is caused by one thing, improper balancing. It is quite common for the hop to become more noticeable at a particular rotational speed.

Remove the wheel and put it on a static balancing stand. I'l bet you that it has a heavy spot.

BrianR and GTM® like this.
  17. Sam V Napoleon

I took the wheels to a local shop and had them re-balance the tires. I’ll be on the road for 4 days so we will see if that solved the problem.

18. Sam V Napoleon

I have my preload that high because that’s what it takes for me to get to 50mm of rider sag. With all the preload out in the front I get 47mm of rider sag. I’ll be on the road for 4 days so I will have time to play with it and will try setting it back lower in the rear, but that would result in too much rider sag it seems. That being said...it’s a Guzzi so the rules seem to always be different lol.

19. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Just put a heavier jacket on. That should do it. :wasntme:

20. Sam V Napoleon

No luck adjusting the hop out after 4 days on the road and driving my brother mad with my suspension adjustments at every stop haha. Bike will be headed to the dealer for heated grip install and I’ll have them sort it out. I will update for those interested.