• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT axel wrenches and rear brake

Grabcon

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
One post two questions.
First: I am looking for a couple of spanner axel wrenches for my 2020 V85TT, a 30mm and a 26mm. I know I can use socket wrenches but they are awkward to carry. I can't seem to find a 26mm that has an offset to get to the rear axel nut. My wife and I are taking a 35 day 6000 mile trip in June and July and I just want something to take with. Light weight would also be good.

Second: The rear brake seems to take a lot of foot pressure to feel it working. It doesn't seem to matter if ABS is on or off. with ABS off it still takes a lot of force to lock the wheel on dirt. I have removed the rear caliper and check pads which seem okay and made sure that the caliper slides and is not seized. I also have bled the brakes and that did help up front but didn't change how much pressure it takes on the rear.

I should also say I have put about 6k miles on the bike since August 2023, and the rear brake really hasn't changed. Is this normal operation for this bike? Any thoughts would be helpful.

I had a machinist make the needed wrench for my 1100 Breva out of flat stock. I had the wrench made short, then use a flatted pipe section for an extended handle. Since they will be made from flat stock, the required bends can be made. As for the rear brake, well covered here. Bleed it and it will improve. Look for posts on bleeding rear brake.

The rear brake on my Special isn't too strong either. I would try some more aggressive pads. Good selection available from EBC and not too expensive.
kk

Thanks, interesting way to solve the axel issue. As far as the brake pads. When I rode Hondas for many years all of those in the knows always said use OEM brake pads. The EBC pads are not expensive so I will have to give that a show. I just really want to feel the rear brake working when I press the peddle.

One post two questions.
First: I am looking for a couple of spanner axel wrenches for my 2020 V85TT, a 30mm and a 26mm. I know I can use socket wrenches but they are awkward to carry. I can't seem to find a 26mm that has an offset to get to the rear axel nut. My wife and I are taking a 35 day 6000 mile trip in June and July and I just want something to take with. Light weight would also be good.

Second: The rear brake seems to take a lot of foot pressure to feel it working. It doesn't seem to matter if ABS is on or off. with ABS off it still takes a lot of force to lock the wheel on dirt. I have removed the rear caliper and check pads which seem okay and made sure that the caliper slides and is not seized. I also have bled the brakes and that did help up front but didn't change how much pressure it takes on the rear.

I should also say I have put about 6k miles on the bike since August 2023, and the rear brake really hasn't changed. Is this normal operation for this bike? Any thoughts would be helpful.
Sidchrome make a 26mm & a 30mm sockets. Not sure if avail there, "Bunnings" stock them in Australia. Just carry these & maybe a 1/2" handle (optional as can find a 1/2" handle almost anywhere, not so a 26mm socket!) & a tyre/pucture repair kit & a SLIME & should be good for the odd nail issue.

One post two questions.

On my 2021 V7-850 I bled the rear brakes and wasn’t happy with the results. I purchased a banjo bolt with bleeder from GTM. I installed this on the rear brake line at the ABS pump. Bleeding at this point (the highest point in the system) got my brakes working great.

FMerlino

So here is a follow up to my original post. The wrench issue first. It seems that a 26mm spanner is an odd ball size and not easily found with an offset to get to the rear axel nut. So I did find a 26mm 1/2" drive socket locally for like 8 bucks. I shortened up the well of the socket by 3/8". Not a lot but it does make packing it a little easier. Did the same thing for the 30mm for the front axel. I had a small 3/8" drive breaker bar and a 3/8 to 1/2 adaptor. I know this may seem too much for some but I now have one set of tools for home and road.

Now for the rear brake issue. First is to look at what changed. Nothing on the bike. What changed were my boots. I bought a pair of Alpinestar Tech 7. So I found that I really couldn't feel the rear brake pedal. Or how much pressure I was or was not putting on the pedal. Went back to my street boots and the rear brake feels fine. I guess there will be a bit of a learning curve with the new boots.

Back