Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a pay to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the opinionated negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

V85TT Evap and Tip Info

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Aug 15, 2019.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

First service done yesterday on the RentAGuzzi/RideMalibu.com V85TT, which included some exploratory investigation on the inner workings. Below is info on the evap and tip valve to eliminate the fuel tank pressurization and future running issues, like all other V7/V9s. I ran out of time to see if they used the half plastic/half metal filter, but I will do it when I can dig into the ECU fueling. It also looks like they shared the air box with the 1400, so opening that up will be done also.
    Tank removal is fairly easy. Under the key cover is two front bolts, and one in the rear, unplug the connectors/fuel lines, and off it comes. I will post again also on the SAS Kit, which is also the same as the V7/V9s.

1. Key cover, one bolt on each side, slide forward and lift.

CA55F4E2-937C-48D2-A5B1-A4E5A8E88971.jpeg

2. This exposes the two tank bolts (one shown missing below), and the grey/green valve is the infamously notorious tip-over valve:

BB79A650-619F-4185-9A4D-BCE83E28E141.jpeg

3. Fuel line and rear tank bolt arrowed:

F7D069F9-4ED3-4686-9C72-3999A62EB107.jpeg

4. L to R, fuel pump connector, breather/overflow and fuel line disconnect. These all can be done prior to tank removal via easy access under the tank frame mount bracket shown.

0B7FB691-23D8-45B1-8B69-731A8AB90110.jpeg

5. With the tank removed looking forward, the tip valve shown apart and gutted (use heat from a hair dryer or eq, and a small screwdriver to pop apart, then can be snapped back together), and red arrow is the evap can. You can snip and plug the line partially hidden (arrowed) line to resolve the intake leak.

7A2919D8-3325-4957-865E-0D30B329DD09.jpeg

2. exit27

exit27 Just got it firing!

Thanks for the info but, What problems can happen If it stay as a factory ?

3. Jayell

Jayell Just got it firing!

Hi Todd!

I was going to remove my tank tonight to facilitate installation of straps for a tank bag. I got everything disconnected except for the tip over valve. I tugged on it, but stopped when I saw no progress and figured I was going to break it. It looks as if you've split your valve in half? I didn't think of that. Is the valve then simply pressed back together?

I also considered breaking the clamp at the evap can and then putting it back together with a tie strap, but thought perhaps I should leave well enough alone.

My tank has the pressurization problem you mentioned. There's a distinct whoosh of air when the tank is opened. So, I should nip and plug the line you've mentioned above?

BTW, I got my straps installed simply by lifting the tank.

Thanks a lot! :)

4. Uncle Tony

Uncle Tony Just got it firing!

This is basically what I did when removing the tank though the hose lifted off the evap can easily with a gentle pry from a screwdriver.

5. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

I'm old and lazy, I've always pulled off the hose and jammed a safety pin or big needle through the diaphragm. problem solved.

6. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Annoying things.
    Basically what happens is the tank does not vent properly which causes a fuel issue.
    I had a California Black Eagle that would "run out of gas" until I opened the fuel cap.
    Did the above fix & never had the problem again.

exit27 likes this.
  7. exit27

Ok, thanks.

I until now I don't feel nothing of that. Yes, it's correct that is there overpressure, in my bike this issue distorts remaining mileage.

I know that some people have asked to Piaggio about this overpressure, the answer of the brand is that isn't an issue.

But I'll keep that in mind, ;)

8. GT-Rx®

Incorrect... it's that they don't know how to resolve it with their constraints. There is decades of evidence as to why this is very bad for the fuel system and tank.
    Yes, well covered in this section. A little hair dryer heat and a small screwdriver to pop it apart, and snap it back together.

Jayell and exit27 like this.
  9. exit27

Ok, So I understand that cut the evap line signed by white arrow or disconnect it it's enough, yes ?. It doesn't necessary sealed of evap line cutted and evap can ?

10. Michael Heathman

Michael Heathman Just got it firing!

After fitting a Mistral crossover I’m getting a lot of popping from the secondary air injection system. Do you have a kit to block this off? Is it the same as the V7?

11. GT-Rx®

Same as the V7/9 kit, but likely you’ll also need the fueling revised as well. Working on that.

12. Michael Heathman

A couple stupid questions:
    What is the notorious tip over valve and why do I want to gut it?
    Is there any reason not to remove the evap canister entirely?

13. Michael Heathman

Got the block off kit for the secondary air injection installed last weekend. The front bolt on the right cover is a bear to get to, due to the brake line coming off the ABS controller right in front of it. Got the evap canister taken care of as well.
    Any progress on the fueling? Mine needs help at low rpm/throttle openings.

Mayakovski likes this.
  14. Jayell

Jayell Just got it firing!

Disconnect the purge line? Is that correct?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

15. GT-Rx®

Still slow going. Dealing with a big Italian company awaiting the new style plug connector and the file driver for decoding.

16. Michael Heathman

My bike seems to be running worse since I blocked off the secondary air injection. Is it possible the oxygen sensors are reading rich (causing it to run lean) because that extra air isn’t being introduced? Thinking of putting it back on until I can get a remap.

17. GT-Rx®

Very likely could be, yes.

18. Kris

Kris Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I had a Norge that had two tanks with bulging issues, I'm assuming because of this tip over valve. I just picked up a v85tt yesterday and while looking over the bike I opened the fuel lid and WHOOSH, quite a bit of pressure. Would like to nip any issues in the bud. Is it enough to just disable the tip over valve or is blocking the vacuum line also needed?

19. GT-Rx®

You need to gut the tip valve, and plug the line off of the intake manifold. The rest of the system can stay in place.

20. Kris

Kris Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Thanks for your help, will get this done soon.