Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above. WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V85TT Evap and Tip Info

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Aug 15, 2019.

1. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

I'm old and old school! Just push a pin hole through with a H D safety pin.

2. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

The valve has already been gutted, that's what was bugging me.

I just took the tank back off, this really is a lot easier than my 1200 Sport was.

Leaving the (gutted) valve on the motorcycle, I am able to blow and suck through it and the canister. Yes there's a bit of resistance but not too bad.

I'm also able to blow and suck through the vent hose attached to the tank. With the gas cap closed there is resistance but not too bad.

Strangely, I can "inflate" the tank a little and don't hear anything coming back out of the hose when I let it go. If I open the cap then I get a whoosh of escaping air. If I inflate the tank as much as I can by blowing into the vent hose, then I can hear a bit of air coming back out when I stop blowing.

I think everything is working as designed right now and I'm making more trouble than necessary. The temps are heating up around here so we'll see. I'm not worried too much about a bit of pressure escaping from the camp when I gas up, but the forceful blast I was getting was worrisome.

I'll check back in a couple of weeks.

3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Might be easier just to open the gas cap itself to see if the gas cap is the issue.

4. Bisbonian

Do you mean take it apart? I'm not at that point yet.
    If I open the cap and blow through the vent hose then there is zero restriction, that's to be expected since it's just a hose with a nipple going to a hole. I was initially worried they put some sort of restrictor in the hose, but I've moved past that.

5. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

You've confirmed the issue, the gas cap is preventing the venting of the tank. Warranty replacement?

6. Bisbonian

Just to update. I disconnected the check valve, the hose from the tank is free to the air (at the moment) and I capped the the end of the check valve to stop any vacuum leak.

Once in a while I get a small poof when opening the gas cap but it is minimal and I'm calling this sorted. The bike has had a chance to sit out in some higher temps with mixed use and has not had any problems.

Prior to this, with everything hooked up as from the factory, it was a bit disconcerting when opening the tank to fill up with gas.

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Just be careful not to fill up too far and then put the bike on the sidestand. You may find a puddle of gas beneath the bike.

Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

Bisbonian likes this.