• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT Evap and Tip Info

I'm old and old school! Just push a pin hole through with a H D safety pin.
The valve has already been gutted, that's what was bugging me.

I just took the tank back off, this really is a lot easier than my 1200 Sport was.

Leaving the (gutted) valve on the motorcycle, I am able to blow and suck through it and the canister. Yes there's a bit of resistance but not too bad.

I'm also able to blow and suck through the vent hose attached to the tank. With the gas cap closed there is resistance but not too bad.

Strangely, I can "inflate" the tank a little and don't hear anything coming back out of the hose when I let it go. If I open the cap then I get a whoosh of escaping air. If I inflate the tank as much as I can by blowing into the vent hose, then I can hear a bit of air coming back out when I stop blowing.

I think everything is working as designed right now and I'm making more trouble than necessary. The temps are heating up around here so we'll see. I'm not worried too much about a bit of pressure escaping from the camp when I gas up, but the forceful blast I was getting was worrisome.

I'll check back in a couple of weeks.

Might be easier just to open the gas cap itself to see if the gas cap is the issue.

Do you mean take it apart? I'm not at that point yet.
If I open the cap and blow through the vent hose then there is zero restriction, that's to be expected since it's just a hose with a nipple going to a hole. I was initially worried they put some sort of restrictor in the hose, but I've moved past that.

Just to update. I disconnected the check valve, the hose from the tank is free to the air (at the moment) and I capped the the end of the check valve to stop any vacuum leak.

Once in a while I get a small poof when opening the gas cap but it is minimal and I'm calling this sorted. The bike has had a chance to sit out in some higher temps with mixed use and has not had any problems.

Prior to this, with everything hooked up as from the factory, it was a bit disconcerting when opening the tank to fill up with gas.

Both pictures have the two ends of the same line circled (1). Is this the line that gets plugged? The free line connects to the tip over valve and is labelled.

Thanks
20200711 174510 20200711 174638

On a US model isn't there a concern that the small plastic tank that the two hoses attach to can fill up with fuel if the tank was filled to the brim and/or the bike was leaned over and parked in the sun? Or am I misunderstanding the operation? It seems to me that the hose from the tipover valve should be disconnected and allowed to drain, but I didn't see that mentioned.

Last edited:
What is recommended to plug the line with?

I used a bolt I had that was for a Stebel Air Compressor, held in place with a clamp & then taped over. I pulled that cannister & then installed an air horn in that space

cannister.jpg

cannister_location.jpg

purge_line_1.jpg

purge_line_2.jpg

horn_location.jpg

The 2021 V7 engine is based off the V85TT--is it reasonable to assume that everything here will apply to this engine? I wonder if they've added even more complex systems with the E5 emissions standards.

I have been doing a lot of reading, and trying to learn as much as I reasonably am able.....I am puzzled by some of the reports regarding the evaporative canister system -- or -- more to the point, malfunctions of the evap canister system:

Some reports discuss a pressurized condition inside of the fuel tank -- as if the vapor component in a half-empty tank was allowed to heat up on a particularly warm and sunny day (often managed by opening the fuel cap to allow the pressure to escape).

Other reports mention a vacuum effect -- presumably caused when displacement air is not allowed to enter the tank to fill the space created when fuel is consumed.....creating a vacuum effect.

Do BOTH of these conditions potentially occur when the evap can system malfunctions?

"You can snip and plug the line partially hidden (arrowed) line to resolve the intake leak."

My question: plug both ends of this line after snipping?

(I have plugged the line to the intake manifold, and I have eliminated the tip-over valve.)

Last edited:
My experience with this valve on my V7II is that it's main function is not a check valve. It is a pressure relief valve that works both ways: when the pressure, or vacuum, in the tank exceeds a certain level it will release some pressure to equalize the pressure. It does function as a check valve when liquid is involved, as when your bike tips over. The valve on my V7II was a "honker", or "farter". I replaced it with a new one (not cheap).
My Gen 2 V85TT is having venting problems, both pressure and vacuum. Maybe I'll install the old one from the V7 to see if it solves my issues.

Dan

Hey Todd,

I am stuck on the disconnect of the fuel line at the yellow clip. I have pushed it back and pulled to disconnect with no luck. Is this where the heat is needed? I am not to keen on heat on a fuel line, so think I may be misunderstanding the various posts and directions.

Mark

Back