• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT jumping out of 6th gear

I get what you're saying, my concern is that it will happen again after a rear tyre change and l'm curious to know if they had any thoughts on the cause Considering that the bike wasn't used for several months of the warranty period because of Covid lockdowns in the UK l thought that some allowances could be made. I'm a parts advisor at a Nissan dealers so l know that warranties can be quite flexible and any suspect parts are returned for inspection.
I have no grievance with Piaggio, in fact next summer's V100 will be my 5th Guzzi!

Changing a tire has NOTHING to do with the gearbox. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

RE: "huge list of parts: 5th + 6th geardogs, gearshaft, three selector forks and various bushes and washers."

I cry BULLSHIT!

I don't believe your mechanic one bit. Do you have the parts that were supposedly replaced? I would be very interested in seeing them in photos. Unless you have a habit of constantly "power shifting" your motorcycle through the gears without using the clutch, then what you are describing is simply not possible. To BEND a shift fork, let alone, 3 of them, requires such abuse on the gearbox of the highest level of stupidity imaginable, you cannot imagine. Those are not fragile components. They are TOUGH. The gears and dogs are also hardened components. I'm just not buying this at all. I doubt Moto Guzzi (Piaggio) is either.

Again, unless I had the gearbox pieces in my hand, which the mechanic that did the repairs is required to do in the USA, I don't know about the UK, I wouldn't believe a damn thing he said. I've been lied to way too many times. At my workshop. every replaced part is handed to the customer when they come to pickup their motorcycle. They can throw it right into the waste bin right then, but they had it in their hand when they were asked to pay for its repair.

Do you have those parts? If you do, then you might get some traction with Piaggio. If they were not returned to you, then I believe you were taken on a big ride to the cleaners.

Let's be honest here. Piaggio has been very good about this sort of stuff. Hell, they have been offering warranty support for the DLC tappet issues on the 8V 1200's for over 10 years! Nobody does that and they certainly did not have to. They did it because it was the right thing to do and I for one, applaud and thank them for it! I believe that Piaggio acts ethically in this regard.

I have seen Moto Guzzi go above and beyond and cover things under "good will" many times. It all depends upon YOUR RELATIONSHIP with your dealer and THEIR RELATIONSHIP with Piaggio.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I e-mailed Piaggio at the beggining of October to ask (politely) if they could shed any light on how a tyre change could cause this problem & if they could help in any way towards the £880 bill. No reply yet!
it would inspire more confidence if they’d be transparent about the problem. I found the same thing when I had to move heaven and earth to get them to replace my V7ii engine. At first, they told me that they would get back to me with the details about the nature of the failure (seized engine). After several attempts to follow up, I never got a response. I followed up again via phone with my contact at Piaggio, and he told me that the engine had been disposed of, and they didn’t know what caused the failure. I drew my own conclusion based on that response, but I guess I’ll never know.

I suspect it was one of those early ones with 50-70cc of oil instead of 700. Failure was from running too hot for too long. The parts would tell the story and I would demand to see them if I was paying. Then I'd send them to Piaggio and ask what went wrong.

Changing a tire has NOTHING to do with the gearbox. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

RE: "huge list of parts: 5th + 6th geardogs, gearshaft, three selector forks and various bushes and washers."

I cry BULLSHIT!

I don't believe your mechanic one bit. Do you have the parts that were supposedly replaced? I would be very interested in seeing them in photos. Unless you have a habit of constantly "power shifting" your motorcycle through the gears without using the clutch, then what you are describing is simply not possible. To BEND a shift fork, let alone, 3 of them, requires such abuse on the gearbox of the highest level of stupidity imaginable, you cannot imagine. Those are not fragile components. They are TOUGH. The gears and dogs are also hardened components. I'm just not buying this at all. I doubt Moto Guzzi (Piaggio) is either.

Again, unless I had the gearbox pieces in my hand, which the mechanic that did the repairs is required to do in the USA, I don't know about the UK, I wouldn't believe a damn thing he said. I've been lied to way too many times. At my workshop. every replaced part is handed to the customer when they come to pickup their motorcycle. They can throw it right into the waste bin right then, but they had it in their hand when they were asked to pay for its repair.

Do you have those parts? If you do, then you might get some traction with Piaggio. If they were not returned to you, then I believe you were taken on a big ride to the cleaners.

Let's be honest here. Piaggio has been very good about this sort of stuff. Hell, they have been offering warranty support for the DLC tappet issues on the 8V 1200's for over 10 years! Nobody does that and they certainly did not have to. They did it because it was the right thing to do and I for one, applaud and thank them for it! I believe that Piaggio acts ethically in this regard.

I have seen Moto Guzzi go above and beyond and cover things under "good will" many times. It all depends upon YOUR RELATIONSHIP with your dealer and THEIR RELATIONSHIP with Piaggio.
Exactly,why should this fault appear after a tyre swap?The bike was on the ramp for six days because they couldn't get the rear tube off! And there was a delay getting the Michelin Airstop tubes that l wanted. This all goes back to my original thought that it might have dropped off the stand (see my earlier pics of the marks on the selector rod). I've ridden enough Guzzis over the years to know that clutchless shifts aren't too clever on a shaft drive bike,so l reckon your call of bullshit is spot on Scott.

Back