• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT issues and Loose Bits

Chris Jessop

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
It might just be my V85TT but it's worth checking your sump guard bolts. While cleaning the bike this morning after yesterdays 220 mile ride I noticed that the front of the sump guard was loose. The front two M8 x 16 bolts that secure the black steel bracket to the sump were missing. The remaining two bolts that hold the rear bracket to the sump were barely tight, I could undo them with my fingers.

Page 204 in the service manual shows the assembly and torque figures of 20NM for these bolts. I can only assume they weren't properly tightened at the factory. It hasn't had its first service yet.

Would a drop of Loctite blue be advisable on these bolts?

IMG 1301

It might just be my V85TT but it's worth checking your sump guard bolts. While cleaning the bike this morning after yesterdays 220 mile ride I noticed that the front of the sump guard was loose. The front two M8 x 16 bolts that secure the black steel bracket to the sump were missing. The remaining two bolts that hold the rear bracket to the sump were barely tight, I could undo them with my fingers.

Page 204 in the service manual shows the assembly and torque figures of 20NM for these bolts. I can only assume they weren't properly tightened at the factory. It hasn't had its first service yet.

Would a drop of Loctite blue be advisable on these bolts?

View attachment 17726

Interesting.... I heard some slight rattling from my V85 today, especially at low revs full throttle. I couldn't make what the sound was coming from. It sounded like it was valve ticking, since today, I might have become the first person in the world to overheat their V85TT (overheat light came on). Yes, I am proud.

I gave the header covers a few kicks to see if they would move but didn't check the sump guard since I didn't have time. But I'll check later and confirm.

Thanks for posting Chris. I’ll put this on our service checklist. Yes, loctite on everything is best bet. It helps with corrosion issues as well.

Hello all,
………. after my ride last weekend I was wiping down the bike and realized that 2 bolts were missing form my skid plate. I then ran across a thread here where another owner found the same thing.

Cheers

Welcome to the world of Guzzi ownership and the 'lost sump guard bolt' conundrum. It looks like sales of Loctite 243 are set to increase.....

You're welcome. Having bolts come loose and drop off is a bit annoying to say the least but it hasn't put me off the V85TT. It's a great bike to ride and I'll be using it in September for a 3 week European tour, including visiting Mandello for the 2019 Open House event.

IMG 1311

I absolutely agree, the v85 is too nice to get mad over a few missing bolts!

I am quite jealous of your upcoming tour! That sounds amazing. I am trying to talk my wife into taking a holiday to Lake Como and renting a v85 to tour around Guzzi country. Please post plenty of pics while you are on the road.

while you are checking for loose bolts... there have been lots of reports of the the seat bump stop coming loose and even falling off
seems that the seat compressing is part of the problem, So loctite or nylock nuts are the go

Add me to the list of bash plate bolts missing, just one of four, and all three left were barely finger tight.
I’m not seeing the bump stop bolts you speak of. Any clarification based on the pic above?

Hell, those are big! Mine are only held on with M5 nuts. I replaced with stainless nylocks, as I already had some lying around.

Apologies, that's a typo, they are M5 using an 8mm socket. The bear is Louigi, a mascot my wife, Jane bought at Agostini's Guzzi dealership in Mandello. He's meant to be pointing at the fasteners concerned :blush:.....

A few more to note. The left bar end weight/handguard bolt was loose on mine within the first 600 miles. No loctite on either side.

We're doing the first service now at my shop, and two of the plug wire cover bolts (same as the V7 III/V9) were too tight and soft as butter, and the allens rounded out. Have some ready for those who DIY. Will post later on the fuel filter type, evap and SAS.

A V85TT owner on the Moto Guzzi Club GB forum has also lost his front two sump guard bolts. When we visit the factory 6th to 8th September I'll look out for big bottles of Loctite on the production line :giggle:.....

Hi Guys just picked up mine, 120km ride home at night in the rain from the shop, left hand guard bolt hanging out and headlights pointing at the ground (center adjustment bolt loose). Thanks for the heads up on other bolts I’m off to the loctite shop. Hoping the clutch beds in, it’s slipping over 4500rpm so I’ll take it easy and see how it goes. So bloody impressed with it so far, classy bike to ride, can’t stop smiling and going into the shed to “check” on it.
Can’t wait for the full exhaust system and maps etc, sign me up!

Back