Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V85TT Mods Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Faisal, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Dah-Dit

Dah-Dit Tuned and Synch'ed

I confirm Chris's remarks reference the heated grips replacement throttle body action being lighter on the wrist than the original. Much better - it's as the bike should have been from the go - perfectly weighted now.

In an attempt to improve the harshness of the ride on UK roads, I reduced the rear and front rebound damping to minimum initially, then later added a quarter turn on the adjusters - the ride is much more plush and suits the bike's nature. From backed fully off, to factory settings there seems to be latitude to get the riding acceptably well if you can't push to a Matris replacement. It's good to know the adjuster actually do something noticeable regards the ride on standard shocks and forks.

Chris Jessop and exit27 like this.
  2. Wrinkley

Wrinkley Just got it firing!

I've always been slightly dubious of the claims made by 'Booster Plug'. But being a consummate tinkerer I couldn't help myself. Fitted it last Saturday, it's slightly fiddley but still only took around 15mins. Set off in the heavy rain and immediately the bike felt slightly different. My bike is fitted with QD exhaust and Y piece and did have some popping on the overrun, the popping, although it didn't bother me, has not been totally eliminated, but it's considerably less.
    I feel the bike now pulls better from around 3000rpm and definitely accelerates slightly quicker. The other noticeable thing was how it seems to pull better on those 6th gear overtakes.
    It may well be some sort placebo effect, but the bike generally felt better and I'm happy with that. I didn't think there was much wrong with the fuelling, but it now definitely feels better.

Chris Jessop likes this.
  3. Chris Jessop

Chris Jessop Tuned and Synch'ed

I've been thinking about fitting one of these Booster Plugs to my V85. Did you buy yours through a UK stockist or direct from the manufacturer?

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Just FYI... sensor "foolers" are risky at best. If you use them, I highly recommend getting air/fuel data checked (local dyno operators typically) as to what it’s actually doing. It somewhat amazes me what WAG products people will blindly put on new and high $ machinery, but to each his own. ;)

Conanidol and Chris Jessop like this.
  5. Chris Jessop

Todd, valid point noted. Thanks for your input.

6. Kris

Kris Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Hi Dave,
    I wanted to go with the OEM grips to keep it a simple plug & play, but like you I'm not keen on paying the dealer to "calibrate" the throttle. I think I'll pick up a set of Oxfords and save some $$.
    A few ?'s.
    When connected to the harness did the bike recognize the connection and start working on their own? I would rather not have to use the Oxford controller.
    I may be dense here, but what is a "kluge"? I'm guessing it's where you made the connection?
    Not sure what size to order-any idea what yours are?
    Thanks for any info, Kris

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Yes, despite my apprehension, there is no problems with using the Oxfords with the dashboard controller. The heated grips icon appeared in the dashboard as soon as they were connected, and each push of the heated grips button increments the heat in three steps. Yay!

Wikipedia describes a kluge as "a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain". I was probably a bit hard on myself, there was nothing clumsy about my installation, I just didn't have the mating connectors for the Guzzi wiring loom, but I did have pins that fitted in, and they were covered in heat shrink. The grips themselves can still be unplugged if required at the Oxford connectors.

Are you talking about the grips or the heated grips connectors to the V85 loom? The Oxfords grips I used were the OF691 Premium Touring Heated Grips, which fitted fine after removing the existing grips. Unfortunately, I destroyed the LH one getting it off the bar, it was probably glued on which is what is required for the Oxford grips too.

To connect to the V85 wiring loom I used a couple of 2.7mm dia x15 mm long connection pins I had lying around, connected to a mating connector for the Oxford plugs. My notes say part number PP2020 but I can't recall the manufacturer.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Kris likes this.
  8. Kris

Kris Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Dave, thanks for the detailed reply. I think I'll just order some Oxford replacement grips (touring) and wire them in to the stock wiring harness, no need to spend $ on a controller if not needed.
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Kris

9. Jayell

Jayell Just got it firing!

We know that Oxford grips have five heat settings when using the Oxford controller. When wired into the Guzzi harness, we're left with three heat settings.

So, which heat settings are the three? 1-3? 3-5? 1,3,5? How would one know?

10. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Since when has Oxford grips had 5 heat settings? I've only ever experienced three.

11. Jayell

Since the latest gen, which have been on the market for several years.

[​IMG]

12. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

You're right, I just can't count.

Then to answer your question, 100% = 3, 50%-75% = 2, 30%-40% = 1.

Of course, you can still use the Oxford controller if you want to, just another object to clutter the handlebar area. Does make the connections a lot easier.

13. Jayell

Dave, it's not my intention to be argumentative, but how would one know that?

Splitting hairs, I suppose...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  14. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

It's just a guess. I could have measured the current current on each setting, but I'm too lazy.

For what it's worth, I have the Oxford controller on my Griso 1200 SE as there was no heated grips ability offered with the Griso wiring loom. I don't feel it is any better to have more settings.

Just use the Oxford controller with its greater number of settings. You'll never be happy with just three.

15. Jayell

Heck no! Are you nuts? Ain't nobody got time for that! ;)

Thanks for your replies.

16. T_Guzzi

T_Guzzi Just got it firing!

I am going for Koso heated grips. Have Oxffords on my old bike, and they are splendid, however the Koso is so much more good looking on my expensive, dear bike.

17. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Just make sure that the current that the Koso grips demand are similar or less than the Guzzi or Oxford versions. Too much current might destroy your dashboard circuitry. There is plenty of discussion on this thread regarding this concern.

T_Guzzi likes this.
  18. Chris Jessop

After some research I bought the R&G fork protector kit, model FP0020BK. Very pleased with the fit and looks.

By popular request, Luigi from Mandello makes another guest appearance....

IMG_1968.JPG IMG_1997.JPG IMG_2003.JPG IMG_1977.JPG IMG_1994.JPG IMG_1990.JPG

19. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Just got it firing!

When I first saw the V85 from across the floor I was very excited to get up close. But then I saw the TFT display. Damn it, will someone make an ADV bike with traditional gauges? I’ll take the V7’s tach and speedo on an ADV Guzzi please.

20. Wrinkley

Wrinkley Just got it firing!

Hi Todd, I'd be very interested as to why you think 'Booster plugs' are risky. Serious question, I'm not trying to incite a long debate.