• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT Mods Thread

Be aware that I experienced galling on 3 of the four exhaust studs when I used stainless locknuts on my V85. They were so tight, that I haven't been able to undo them even when held in a vice with a long socket extension.

I thought that galling only occurred with stainless on stainless, but not apparently so.

Dave, thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated. I've got the same exhaust flange fastener set-up on the Breva 1100 and not had any issues. Using a quality high temperature anti-seize has prevented thread galling on that machine and I'll regularly check the V85's.

I've successfully fitted a Madstad screen to a V85. I posted a description to the V85 thread on the Advrider site, which I will not cross-post here unless someone asks, but can reproduce if anyone's interested. So far it works brilliantly. It may be ugly as sin ('Sloth' or 'Gluttony' would be my guess) but it stops any trace of buffeting, smooths out the airflow, leaves plenty of air for ventilation, and is well below my line of sight. Which may be fortunate (see note above about ''ugly as sin'). This is just a proof of concept test using old bits I had lying around the house. If it still seems like a win after 2-3000 miles, I'll scrounge up some new bits and come up with something that looks better.

FigC04 IMG 4038

Last edited:
I've successfully fitted a Madstad screen to a V85. I posted a description to the V85 thread on the Advrider site, which I will not cross-post here unless someone asks, but can reproduce if anyone's interested. So far it works brilliantly. It may be ugly as sin ('Sloth' or 'Gluttony' would be my guess) but it stops any trace of buffeting, smooths out the airflow, leaves plenty of air for ventilation, and is well below my line of sight. Which may be fortunate (see note above about ''ugly as sin'). This is just a proof of concept test using old bits I had lying around the house. If it still seems like a win after 2-3000 miles, I'll scrounge up some new bits and come up with something that looks better.

View attachment 21193
Well that is ugly, but not too bad :D Give anything a go to see what's needed! I'm thinking of experimenting with the Givi airflow that I tried. For what I spent it may be worth sacrificing it, I have various cutting tools >:)

Well that is ugly, but not too bad :D Give anything a go to see what's needed! I'm thinking of experimenting with the Givi airflow that I tried. For what I spent it may be worth sacrificing it, I have various cutting tools >:)
The big design features that distinguish Madstad's systems from the Givi Airflow are 1) the 2" separation between the screen and the mounting surface that acts as a venturi and 2) they don't have that flare at the top to mess up the airflow. This proof-of-concept setup works so well I could almost read a newspaper behind it. If it was a small newspaper printed on some unusually durable material. The thing that makes it look so much worse than Madstad's production models, and elevates it from mere ugliness to a full-scale crime against the senses, is the way that 20" Adventure screen sticks out and gets wider at the bottom.

After measuring many online photos and photos of the setup I had on my 2014 Tiger 800, I've convinced myself that their system for the 2011-2017 Tiger 800 with their 18" Explorer screen could look fairly decent on the V85, and might be a simple bolt-on fit if I drill new mounting holes in the baseplate. I exchanged a few emails with them and they seem to have had a similar impression. I'm going to think about it overnight and maybe give it a go.

I posted a description to the V85 thread on the Advrider site, which I will not cross-post here unless someone asks, but can reproduce if anyone's interested.
Please just copy and paste your words and pics here. I will not allow links per the paragraph in red above. ADVR has massive web traffic as is. Help me out here.

Please just copy and paste your words and pics here. I will not allow links per the paragraph in red above. ADVR has massive web traffic as is. Help me out here.
Will do! I was reluctant to cross-post, because some people object to this, but here are the two relevant posts. I for their length, and would in no way be offended if you deleted them because they were too long or didn't seem appropriate for this thread.

[FIRST ADVRIDER POST] The Great Madstadt Project continues, and the proof-of-concept abomination is finished, bolted together, and on the bike. To my astonishment, it doesn't looks quite as dreadful as I expected. Instead, it has a businesslike, "Oh yeah? What are you staring at?" look about it that. It also has a comforting 2" of clearance from the handlbars. It's even adjustable in height and rake, because what fun would a windshield be if it didn't have one height and two rake adjustments?

Now I have to take it out for a ride. And don't ask why She Who Must Be Obeyed keeps her shoes in the garage. There are some things man was not meant to know...

FigB01 IMG 4032
FigB03 IMG 4029

[SECOND ADVRIDER POST] Ye gods, this setup works brilliantly! I can just about read a newspaper behind this thing while riding at 100 MPH. Well, maybe 95 MPH. No buffeting, a dramatic reduction of wind noise, plenty of airflow remains for ventilation, and the screen is well below my line of vision. Yes, it may look like I've bolted a clear plastic snow shovel to the front of the bike, but since I don't have to look at it while I'm riding, that's someone else's problem :D

Pics below. The last one shows the more-than-ample clearance between, screen and handlebars

FigC01 IMG 4034
FigC02 IMG 4036
FigC03 IMG 4037
FigC04 IMG 4038
FigC05 IMG 4039

[CURRENT PLANS] The next step is to come up with something that doesn't looks ugly. I just finished measuring more dimensions, and I'm about to order Madstad's system for the 2011-2017 Tiger 800 to see if it will fit as well as I've managed to convince myself it will. If it does, I'll put together a writeup on result. Stay tuned...

I have recently installed the Pyramid rear hugger on my V85TT. Hopefully, this series of pictures will prove useful to someone contemplating buying one or about to fit one.

As you would expect the instructions supplied with the hugger are more than adequate to complete the task. The rear wheel must be removed so you can access the two inner M8 bolts on the shaft drive housing. Pyramid recommend using a high quality T40 Torx key on these bolts. I used an extra-long T40 key manufactured in Germany by Stahlwille tools. Their hardened steel Torx keys have correctly formed ends and fit the Guzzi bolts perfectly.

The instructions state that the casing around the bolts must be heated for five minutes with a hot air gun to soften and release the thread lock applied on the production line.

Added 20th January 2021:
I used a cut down extra long allen key and Loctite 262 red when installing the new bolts. The torque figure for these bolts is 25NM.

Even though there is a fair amount of work involved to install the right-hand mounting bracket, I am pleased with the result. The hugger is solidly mounted with no flexing and there is more than enough clearance between the swing arm and tyre.

IMG 2952 IMG 2958 IMG 2962 IMG 2967 IMG 2967b IMG 2976 IMG 2982 IMG 2970

Last edited:
I have recently installed the Pyramid rear hugger on my V85TT. Hopefully, this series of pictures will prove useful to someone contemplating buying one or about to fit one.

As you would expect the instructions supplied with the hugger are more than adequate to complete the task. The rear wheel must be removed so you can access the two inner M8 bolts on the shaft drive housing. Pyramid recommend using a high quality T40 Torx key on these bolts. I used an extra-long T40 key manufactured in Germany by Stahlwille tools. Their hardened steel Torx keys have correctly formed ends and fit the Guzzi bolts perfectly.

The instructions state that the casing around the bolts must be heated for five minutes with a hot air gun to soften and release the thread lock applied on the production line.

Even though there is a fair amount of work involved to install the right-hand mounting bracket, I am pleased with the result. The hugger is solidly mounted with no flexing and there is more than enough clearance between the swing arm and tyre.

View attachment 21225 View attachment 21226 View attachment 21227 View attachment 21228 View attachment 21229 View attachment 21230 View attachment 21231 View attachment 21232
Wish l'd seen this before l fitted mine! I was stumped for a while fitting the bevel box bracket, the bolts supplied were too long and the bracket didn't follow the curve. What a pillock! I hadn't put the spacers in! It's on properly now and seems to be doing a good job of keeping the back end a lot cleaner.

[CURRENT PLANS] The next step is to come up with something that doesn't looks ugly. I just finished measuring more dimensions, and I'm about to order Madstad's system for the 2011-2017 Tiger 800 to see if it will fit as well as I've managed to convince myself it will. If it does, I'll put together a writeup on result. Stay tuned...

I've decided to go with experimenting with the Airflow. I've re-drilled & dropped the mounts for the top half. I plan to try various heights/adding my Givi S180T at various heights/then maybe start trimming! It just seems very difficult to get just the right spot for me. I keep coming back to thinking that I need a screen slightly shorter than the stock - I may end up the with the Givi yet.

So I had a shop CNC machine a backplate and had a back rest installed. The bolts are very industrial, I know. I'll be getting some allen bolts that are more flush, maybe black powder coat the backplate and the backrest adapter, or just keep them as it is, I haven't decided yet.

The backplate is stainless steel of 2mm thickness. I had them cut the Moto Guzzi "logo" on the backplate, which I drew by hand, which is fine, but not the best MG logo. I honestly didn't care since I just wanted to test the backplate and it was only something like $40 to make.

I would probably make one out of 4-5mm thick stainless steel IF I decide to cut a proper MG logo on it. If I decide to do it without the logo, then I think 2mm is enough.

I had a 75 kg (165 lbs) passenger test it, and they said they didn't feel any flexing of the backplate, but I would probably just increase the thickness for safety.

And in case anyone was meaning to ask, I hate top cases.

WhatsApp Image 2021 01 13 at 203023 WhatsApp Image 2021 01 13 at 203022 1 WhatsApp Image 2021 01 13 at 203022

Last edited:

View attachment 21225 View attachment 21226 View attachment 21227 View attachment 21228 View attachment 21229 View attachment 21230 View attachment 21231 View attachment 21232

Hi Chris, very useful post. My Hugger arrived today after bing on back order since early November. I was about to fit it today and checked in the online workshop manual for the torque settings for the bevel box/swing arm bolts and spec of the locite (colour) but cant find anything. What did you use - loctite and torque? Thanks.

Austin, I used Loctite 262 red and tightened the bolts by hand using a cut down extra long allen key.
Thanks Chris. I fitted the hugger today. I also cut down an Allen key to get at the top bolt on the bevel box bracket. No chance of putting a torque wrench on it. The torque is 25nm for those bolts btw. I used blue loctite as that was all I could get hold of. I’m sure it’ll be fine as there’s a lot of thread on them bolts.

Austin, thanks for confirming the torque figure, always handy to know.

I've updated my original post to show this additional information.

Last edited:
Back