• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT Suspension Thread

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
First started to announce Matris’ offerings below, figured it would be best to rename the thread to cover all.

Stock bike info:
Front and rear wheel travel: 170mm
Target sag on both: 56.66mm

All measurements with me @~180 lbs aboard.

Stock forks (non-adjustable preload): 48mm

E4A26F5D 0AC3 4A82 8FAC B22F621933EE

Stock Rear Shock (as delivered): 57mm!

7E5927C8 D976 4050 A9F6 CD1488C30C69
Stock shock weight: 9.8 lbs.
3E04F484 6EDC 4704 A00C F0CC4794C895
09BECF4A 059C 4852 B32F 670421A79A8C

GTM Mono Option:

Matris F20 Fork Kit: TC

Matris R Dark Shock (-4 turns preload): 56mm
Other settings coming soon.
Shock weight: 4.6 lbs

961234BB 9DC9 4A05 96DB DD41EAF9BFF6

Matris has released their list below for the V85TT:

KD+ID;

R Mono;

F20S Fork Kit;

MATRIS V85TT

Last edited:
well that didn't take long. are they providing junk suspension on this rig too?
If the factory offers an upgrade (Ohlins shock), you can bet it's mediocre at best. Always a price-point saver for OEMs to skimp as they know people who care will spend the money to upgrade. My expectations are very low for the stock suspension.

If the factory offers an upgrade (Ohlins shock), you can bet it's mediocre at best. Always a price-point saver for OEMs to skimp as they know people who care will spend the money to upgrade. My expectations are very low for the stock suspension.

Most reviewers and motorcycle magazines didn't have any complains about the suspension in general. Since it is adjustable, I think it's just a matter of tweeking it to your liking. My V85 rides just fine from the factory. In fact, the suspension is wonderful, especially the rear. I need to play with the front suspension a bit and get it to soften up, but the stock suspension is absolutely adequate and extremely comfortable.

Matris just released their list below for the V85TT. I've ordered the fork kit and R monoshock for my rental. Will start a seperate suspension thread once I have the bike and new suspension in hand, but this one is just to let those know of what is now available.

KD+ID; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/matris-mono-ke-id-v85tt
R Mono; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/matris-r-mono-v85tt
F20S Fork Kit; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/matris-v85tt-f20s-cartridge-fork-kit

View attachment 17513

Does this add any travel to the bike, or will that not really be possible?

Does this add any travel to the bike, or will that not really be possible?
Travel, no. You can raise ride height with the shock, but it would take a custom made shock and forks to extend travel equally on both ends. I suspect for whatever most will use it for, as a dirt-bike it is NOT, it is adequate. I’ve ridden sport-bikes for hundreds of miles on unpaved roads with little issues, even my California on an off-road Guzzi ADV bike gathering. Depends on the rider. ;)

Todd,

Now that you have ridden it, is the suspension good (after adjustments if needed), or do you still think new cartridges / shocks are necessary?

So you believe the stock suspension needs upgrading?
Absolutely. Even Guzzi is offering the Ohlins unit. Almost every production bike on the planet can be massively improved. Suspension is usually one of the places that the accountants can retain $.

Can i ask if anyone knows of any failures with the shock mounts or anything else for that matter. I thinking about trading in my V7 and building up a V85tt for 2 up dirt road touring around Australia and also shipping it OS if things ever get back to normal. Cant bring myself to buy the usual GS and our last trip through India would have been even better with our own bike.

Any updates on how much this improved the bike? It's definitely a lovely handling thing even from the factory but the suspension leaves a lot to be desired in some cases.

I would really like some info on how to lower my v85tt 2020 by about 1 inch without having to buy anything. I know abpout and how to los=wer my front tube height but what is the way to lower the rear without having to spend $$$$ for the rear. Not worried about the centerstand for I can cut that and reweld the feet on it. Really what is the poor mans fix?

Hello Geese :)

My rear suspension has some play. With my hand i can easily rotate it slightly left and right (the actual unit, not the spring).

After a day of some rough riding (but fun!), it now squeaks with every movement like a very unhappy mouse is in there. I can manually rotate it anti clockwise a few millimeters and the squeak disappears, but then returns due to the play.

Any ideas?

M

My rear suspension has some play. With my hand i can easily rotate it slightly left and right (the actual unit, not the spring).
After a day of some rough riding (but fun!), it now squeaks with every movement like a very unhappy mouse is in there. I can manually rotate it anti clockwise a few millimeters and the squeak disappears, but then returns due to the play.
Any ideas?
Yes, there should always be rotational movement, else call it bound. Remove the pivot bolts and grease them. Guzzi is notorious for zero grease. Joke is they spit on the bolts before assembly. Honestly, it's a terrible (cheap) design that will likely cause issues down the road.

Yes, there should always be rotational movement, else call it bound. Remove the pivot bolts and grease them. Guzzi is notorious for zero grease. Joke is they spit on the bolts before assembly. Honestly, it's a terrible (cheap) design that will likely cause issues down the road.
Thank you.

Hello Geese :)

Any ideas?

M
When mine did this, I removed the shock and found the spherical bearings in each end of the shock to be dry and dirty, I cleaned and greased them and no more problems.

When mine did this, I removed the shock and found the spherical bearings in each end of the shock to be dry and dirty, I cleaned and greased them and no more problems.
Thanks, forgot... yes, those too. ;)

Back