• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT tappet noise.

Bob Bourget

Tuned and Synch'ed
When the bike was new {purchased Dec 2020}, the motor was very quiet. Once I crossed about 1500 miles, she became quite tappy, more so on the right than the left. Did the requisite valve check, and found one loose intake on the left cylinder, one tight exhaust on the right. Not excessive at all, just needed a tweak to be in spec of the .004 I / .006 E. I'm new to Guzzi's so this light tapping might be very normal. You can hear it {especially at light throttle just coasting at around 3K} with a helmet on! Not so much when the visor is down, lol.
Question....{and I missed this}....why is it a necessity to start with the left side, then go to the right? Just curious more than anything. I have since re-checked it using this method and found no difference in the measurement.
I have about 3500 miles on it now and it has not gotten any worse {or better}. Well aware that tappy valves are happy valves, but when NEW it was much quieter. Seems strange because the norm is for valves to tighten over time, not vice-versa. Can't seem to locate a video of another sound bite for comparison sake........thoughts?

This is not an overhead cam engine. Guzzi's get loose not tight. At the 900 mile check the exhausts should have been 1-2 thousands loose and the intake anywhere from right on to 1 loose. Are you 100% sure you were on TDC of the intake stroke? Easy to be wrong for the inexperienced.

Not necessary to check the left first, but if you set the left then go to the right you don't have to turn the engine over very much. Also the tapping is normal. If it gets quiet, then worry.

This is not an overhead cam engine. Guzzi's get loose not tight. At the 900 mile check the exhausts should have been 1-2 thousands loose and the intake anywhere from right on to 1 loose. Are you 100% sure you were on TDC of the intake stroke? Easy to be wrong for the inexperienced.

Yup, very sure. Plastic straw, watched the intake valve close then allowed to go up to TDC.........
Question for you.......why would the method of valve actuation affect whether they tighten or loosen? I don't know of any time driven 4-stroke engine that will result in loose {r} valve-to-actuation clearance. When valves seat, tolerances tighten.

Last edited:
Not necessary to check the left first, but if you set the left then go to the right you don't have to turn the engine over very much. Also the tapping is normal. If it gets quiet, then worry.

Ahhh, makes sense. I kinda figured it was something like that. Just curious though as to what setting they use at the factory when they are set. It MUST be tighter to allow for this "loosening" of the valvetrain for break-in.

You need a louder exhaust system!

Tappy valves are happy valves.

Jason
I have Todd's y-pipe and am VERY happy with the tone over stock. I just need to accept the fact that these motors make "music", and not "noise", lol. All I really need is to hear another.........! That's one of the things I like about this ride....no one else has one locally anyways. IMG 0062

I have Todd's y-pipe and am VERY happy with the tone over stock. I just need to accept the fact that these motors make "music", and not "noise", lol. All I really need is to hear another.........! That's one of the things I like about this ride....no one else has one locally anyways. View attachment 23009

That's a good looking adventure bike!

I have a KLR that is similarly outfitted with Givi hard bags.

Jason

That's a good looking adventure bike!

I have a KLR that is similarly outfitted with Givi hard bags.

Jason
I had 2 KLR 650's, a first gen 2006 and second gen 2012. Loved them both. The ONLY issue I had was the power. It would suffice but I wanted a bit more. Traded it for a mint Vstrom 650 then traded it for this one......They were all fitted accordingly as well. This goose is just a bigger KLR....:)

I've measured the valve clearance on a hot motor and compared it to the cold motor on many of my Guzzis. In every case, the gap gets larger, not smaller.

So why not run with reduced tappet clearance to reduce the noise? So far, I haven't been game. :worried:

I've measured the valve clearance on a hot motor and compared it to the cold motor on many of my Guzzis. In every case, the gap gets larger, not smaller.

So why not run with reduced tappet clearance to reduce the noise? So far, I haven't been game. :worried:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the theory of cold vs hot measurements, but wear in over time.
As you stated, I’d love to experiment with a bit tighter tolerance but…..like you I’m not game.

I had 2 KLR 650's, a first gen 2006 and second gen 2012. Loved them both. The ONLY issue I had was the power. It would suffice but I wanted a bit more. Traded it for a mint Vstrom 650 then traded it for this one......They were all fitted accordingly as well. This goose is just a bigger KLR....:)

And a much more powerful KLR!

Jason

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the theory of cold vs hot measurements, but wear in over time.
As you stated, I’d love to experiment with a bit tighter tolerance but…..like you I’m not game.

The recommended valve lash per the MG manual for my 2010 V7Cafe is 0.004" Intake and 0.006" Exhaust. However, I set the lash at 0.006" Intake and 0.008" Exhaust. I can hear a bit of ticking at idle when first started, but it's pretty quiet after the motor warms up, especially at speed. But my Agostini exhaust system is loud enough to cover most tappet noises.

Jason

The manual I have agrees with your setting.

View attachment 23013
Oddly enough, my "Service Station Manual" calls for 0.004" and 0.006"; see below. ValveLash
This information contradicts the clearances in the engine manual. But setting them to the looser spec in the engine manual allows for more wear between valve seat and valve.

Jason

Back