• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 MPG and Givi Protection Bars

Larry Malinoski

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Have had some "issues" and really never got a handle on just what the fuel mileage is on my 2017 V9 Roamer. After installing some GIVI bars today (easy install) It was time to adjust to them and do a mpg test. Ended up at Piny Point on Tampa Bay. In the background is the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. In front of me are some fish washed up. Figuring it is red tide caused by that rather "infamous" acid spill there last month.

Imports   2 of 4 Imports   3 of 4

Bars and bike look great to me. Off in the distance, in front of the flyscreen, you can barely make out the Sunshine Skyway.

Noted the fuel mileage readout and the odometer so it was time to actually see just how close they were. In the past I have been seeing a fuel light on for reserve and only putting in 2 1/2 gallons. No handle on filling and usage as there have been disruptions with mistaken fork seal leaks that turned out to be a pinched valve cover seal. Lots of stops and disruptions now over.

The bike is a delight of power and handling the more I ride and adjust to it. Sure it's not a big two-up rider like my Harleys but it sure runs stronger with a delightful easy of operation. That comfort seat is now higher than normal and starting to feel "right" for my 6 ft. height.

Now, on to the gas station. Had 89 Octane gas in the bike filled to the top STRAIGHT UP. Did find that you get the bike off that side stand and you can add about .4 of a gallon more to the tank. Also found out that when you push in the mode button to clear the fuel mileage average indication, the main trip odometer also clears at the same time. Thank goodness I read 102 miles and 56 mpg before stopping and dong that.

Reality was 53.6 mpg carefully filled with the bike upright. That shows me two things. One is the fuel mileage average indicator (hence called the Lie O Meter) is less than 10% optimistic. That is pretty good accuracy to me. This time that Lie O Meter was about 6% off. Good in my book. The other is getting over 50 mpg.

I am very pleased with that fuel mileage. Mostly I blast up to 75-80 mph solo and did some two-up running during this test distance. Watching the Lie O Meter on Instantaneous tells me that you do 60 mpg at 60 mph but barely 50 mpg at 70 mph and way less as you "get it on". Speed costs you fuel to beat that wind resistance.

My V9 Roamer is great for fuel mileage in my opinion. It uses 89 Octane fine with the 10.5 compression ratio. I could do even better if I babied the ride. Not going to happen on my watch.

I suggest you spring for the 93 octane. The engine will be happier with less chance of detonation. Give it a try. Fuel mileage shouldn't differ much if a all.

What happened to the comment about the "Givi Protection Bars"?

"Bars and bike look great to me". That's all there really is to say about them.

Guess I should have added the install was S I M P L E. Then I could add that the hardware and design seem very sturdy to me. They were what I expected them to be and that's a good thing.
Imports   3 of 4 1

As you can see the bike is a bit small for me and I am "only" 6 ft. 205 lbs. Put my wife on the back and she near falls off that comfort seat I built way up. May add some footpads to the lower part of the protection bars to get myself a bit more stretched out. Europeans I met seemed tiny and this bike is made for those kind of people.

Yes I have glasses. Took them off and set them behind the flyscreen for this. New Hepco and Becker rear rack been paid for a month. It's on a slow boat from Germany. Hoping I can find something to put on the rack, set back behind this seat so my wife has more room and can maybe lean back. She near falls off and I have to accelerate very slowly because of her. Never had this kind of trouble with my old BSA and Triumph bikes. Kind of a surprise this one is so tiny.

Last edited:
I suggest you spring for the 93 octane. The engine will be happier with less chance of detonation. Give it a try. Fuel mileage shouldn't differ much if a all.

No even hint of detonation the last tank of 89. With a rather low compression ratio, I decided to try a lower octane fuel. Been using 92-93 octane. Saw that 10.5:1 compression ration and wondered. Been running the 89 last two tanks. Even tried to "lug" the engine and accelerate, listening for any detonation sign.

I think the engine is "happy". Tell you what. I will ask it this weekend.

Stock.

Been away using another motorcycle for the past month. Actually started at the Moto Guzzi Rally in Va. Only a single V9 at that rally, which was a bit of a surprise to me.

Last night was the first ride on my Roamer in over a month. Old gas and a new Hepco and Becker rear rack needed a test as to mount that rack I had to cut off one of the mounting points for the saddlebags.

During the "spirited" testing, I lugged the engine a bit in 6th and then cranked it open. No hint of detonation.

Back