• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 reliabilty

Well good news, she's back on the road! And it seems to be running like a dream! :) Shame I have to go into work in the morning and not home for a few days but today has been great!

Your faith and support of your garage / mechanic is admirable. I hope it is not misplaced. It does sound like they are guessing, though. And that is usually not a good sign.
Where are you located, roughly?
Any chance the shop can let you "borrow" another Guzzi like the one you have? If you rode that one for a few days it might give you something to compare yours to.

Your faith and support of your garage / mechanic is admirable. I hope it is not misplaced. It does sound like they are guessing, though. And that is usually not a good sign.
Where are you located, roughly?
Any chance the shop can let you "borrow" another Guzzi like the one you have? If you rode that one for a few days it might give you something to compare yours to.

I'm in the South East of England. I spoke to the mechanic, and he said that the codes generated by the computer were run past Guzzi, who advised the problem...again, and again... they then sent the parts on warranty. I guess another mechanic might have fixed it quicker, but with the information he had I think he did his best...?

Fair enough. I have long since learned that the ecu cannot actually tell you what is wrong. It can only give you information that you can combine with other tests and experience to figure out what is wrong. For example, I had a bike that was giving me a code indicating a bad O2 sensor. So I replaced it. Didn't make a difference, the problem was the same. I figured out that it had a sticking fuel injector and that was making it think the O2 sensor was bad. The ecu saw the rich mixture, kept leaning out the mixture, and it did not see a change in the O2 reading. This was made worse by the bike being a twin with the O2 sensor reading off the bad cylinder. So it decided the O2 sensor was bad. I swapped injectors and the problem mostly went away, but it still didn't run right. It then ran OK on the good cylinder. So I replaced the stick injector and all was good.

Fair enough. I have long since learned that the ecu cannot actually tell you what is wrong. It can only give you information that you can combine with other tests and experience to figure out what is wrong. For example, I had a bike that was giving me a code indicating a bad O2 sensor. So I replaced it. Didn't make a difference, the problem was the same. I figured out that it had a sticking fuel injector and that was making it think the O2 sensor was bad. The ecu saw the rich mixture, kept leaning out the mixture, and it did not see a change in the O2 reading. This was made worse by the bike being a twin with the O2 sensor reading off the bad cylinder. So it decided the O2 sensor was bad. I swapped injectors and the problem mostly went away, but it still didn't run right. It then ran OK on the good cylinder. So I replaced the stick injector and all was good.
I'm looking at leaving it with them at the start of autumn for an overhaul, as again it's not fixed the problem unfortunately. It's not been a good start to my motorcycling career, weather on my (very few) days off have been bad also. Oh well, it will keep gojng back until Guzzi run out if parts! Thanks for the information though, appreciated!

Curious...
Exact same problem as before?
Any changes at all?

Yesterday ir played up to start with. It then behaved, got a bit lumpy on de-acceleration later on but not too noticeable. Today, it's been great! So it's either cured or an intermittent fault. I'm hoping the former of course. I'm taking her out for a run in the early morning.... Watch this space! :)

I'm watching!
Almost sounds like a loose wire, bad ground, rubber piece with hairline crack........something stupid & simple.

I'm watching!
Almost sounds like a loose wire, bad ground, rubber piece with hairline crack........something stupid & simple.

Yeah and I've seen a few threads about poor quality wires, leads and rubber parts...I hope it gets resolved, I really want to do some long distance riding and I'm not confident.

Dang shame really. Guzzi's are the one bike that even after an all day ride I still want to be back in the saddle.
I'm really hoping you get to experience that.

Dang shame really. Guzzi's are the one bike that even after an all day ride I still want to be back in the saddle.
I'm really hoping you get to experience that.

I'll keep riding it, returning it, until it quits on me, but I won't quit on it! The great thing about warranty, is that they can throw all new parts at it until it is fixed. I'm confident it will get there... and back!

Like Wisconsin is saying: You probably should try pulling the spark plug leads and check if the spark plug caps have been screwed all the way onto the leads.
On my V7II I could turn them 2 to 3 turn in before they stopped.
I wasn't having any problems but I had pulled the plugs to check them out then I noticed how loose the caps were on the leads.

A good dealer can make such a difference in the ownership experience for any brand motorcycle. Guzzi is no exception. I do suggest you try to take an extended test ride on a different bike of the same or similar model. I would also consider another shop / mechanic looking at it. But if you are happy with the way it is going it is your bike.
It just kills me to see someone taking guesses at it and swapping out parts until they hit the right part. That attitude does not always pan out as sometimes it is not a part but how things are set up.
Best of luck.

Back