• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Suspension Thread

They work well. Had the first owner installed it there might not have been a owner #2 or #3. Next get a real set of rear shocks.
It has Matris (M18?) on the rear. I need to figure out how to adjust them because the bike is stiff in the rear. I think it was set up for someone heavier than me.

Matris4

Last edited:
I need to figure out how to adjust them because the bike is stiff in the rear. I think it was set up for someone heavier than me.
If they didn't come from me/GTM, the valving is likely overly firm. See the first post here to set the sag (critical first step), and there should be a small click adjuster top of the shock facing forward (as shown in your pic). Post another pic of the other side. If the forks are still stock, you'll want full soft (1 from full open) on the rebound. All I can be of help with.

If they didn't come from me/GTM, the valving is likely overly firm. See the first post here to set the sag (critical first step), and there should be a small click adjuster top of the shock facing forward (as shown in your pic). Post another pic of the other side. If the forks are still stock, you'll want full soft (1 from full open) on the rebound. All I can be of help with.
Thanks!

I'll reread the first post. My adjusters are facing aft, and it seems like most people mount them with the piston down; does it matter?

EDIT to add: I might be missing something in the first thread. Please explain?

Matris4a

Last edited:
Maybe GTM will respond again, but that isn't an adjuster. Don't touch it. I was talking about the big nut on the bottom that needs a spanner wrench to adjust. You should have one in your tool kit. It only adjusts the spring preload. Back it off, towards the bottom 2 turns at a time or study up on "setting the sag" here. The less expensive shocks don't have rebound or dampening on them.
The fork kit should have the spring weight on the box. Make sure it's the right one for your weight. Otherwise GTM can probably get you the right springs. I'd also suggest you find an experienced man to install them.

Thanks!
I'll reread the first post. My adjusters are facing aft, and it seems like most people mount them with the piston down; does it matter?
EDIT to add: I might be missing something in the first thread. Please explain?
Welcome. They are IFP. Either position works. You can see the purchase page below to show how Matris mounts them.
That IS the rebound adjuster. The blue ano w/hex on the other end is not. It’s for the gas fill. Do not touch that one. First post covers sag target. Re-read my words above.

Appreciate the help!

OK, I need the spanner wrench now. I thought I had one but if I do I must have put it somewhere where I'd be able to find it again.... I could also be thinking of the old Honda NC700 I had - pretty sure I had one for that bike.

Anyway, I didn't see one in the store, so are they of specific size?

61-dSNj6XjL._AC_UL400_.jpg
Look up spanner or collet chuck for lathe. Measure the size of your nut and get close or I still have one of these adjustable ones from the 1960's when I worked in a machine shop. With the weight off the bike like on a center stand you might even be able to get it lose it with a strong hand and a rag or a wood dowel rod and hammer.

Ran most of the preload out and still only getting a quarter inch of sag when I sit in it. It's still a bit rough so I'll run the nuts all way to the bottom and try that.

Today's ride

Kingston

Back