Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V9/V7 III fuel mileage and range (discussion and please post yours)

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by jkristjan, May 22, 2017.

1. jkristjan

jkristjan Tuned and Synch'ed

Ran a little test on my 2016 V9 yesterday. From fill to fill 271km (168 miles), that included riding about 50km (31 miles) with the fuel light on. Diligently measured and calculated fuel economy was 4.35l/100km (54mpg). This was B-road riding in fine weather around the 90km/h (55mph) mark, not faster, not slower.

Some conclusions.

1) With the 15l tank, the actual back road cruising range before stalling is a sure 300km (190 miles)

2) The fuel economy measurements by the ECU are accurate, the average burn rate on the dash ended up being exactly the same as my manual calculations

3) The 15l tank is not so small after all, considering the better fuel economy of newer bikes. Even bikes like Honda NC750S (meant to be a very practical machine) have tiny tanks (14 liters in that case) but that is made up by good fuel economy (3l/100km or 78mpg). By gut feeling, I put it to you that the 22l tanks on the carbureted bikes of 70s and 80s were roughly equal to the 15l tank on the V9 today.

Your findings and thoughts?

Seamus MacCallum and gasgas like this.
  2. MJPTexas

MJPTexas Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm seeing anywhere from 47-53 mpg on my V9 Roamer. Lower mileage at higher sustained speeds (75-85 mph). Cruising at 65-70 mph consistently yields over 50 mpg.

Seamus MacCallum and Poppe like this.
  3. S247

S247 Just got it firing!

I have the V9 Bobber, have been getting around 170KM before the fuel light turns on. However when I fill immediately I can put in about 9 Litres max, so I think my senor is perhaps a bit high in the tank. I haven't run it much with the light on but I will update this if I end up running it dry. Also I tend to be uh "spirited" in my riding; accelerating quickly and riding fast. The bulk of my riding is city commuting, with part of the trip going at 90-100 KPH.

Seamus MacCallum likes this.
  4. jkristjan

Nope, your sensor is not different from others, this is exactly where it would light up, some 9 liters after a normal fill up, 170 to 190km depending on riding conditions and weather.

People fill up their bikes differently though. When you sit on it and hold it upright, you can really fill it to brim. As opposed to putting it on the sidestand and filling only as much as it can take in that position.

5. bkiser

bkiser Tuned and Synch'ed

I am also averaging an overall 54 mpg. Calculated manually = ECU reading, which is mighty convenient!

6. jkristjan

So then a V7 with a 22 liter tank can run some 500km... that is sweet :)

7. Stephen Dickinson

Stephen Dickinson Tuned and Synch'ed

Yep I get just over 200kms before the fuel light comes on. When I go to fill up its still got nearly 5 litres to go. I agree that 300kms should be easy but having the fuel light coming on so early makes me nervous. Would prefer came on with about say 2 litres to go.
    Cheers
    Stephen D
    Tasmania

8. rbm

rbm Cruisin' Guzzisti

9. gasgas

gasgas Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for your posts, I am going to collect a new V9 tomorrow and now I know I can keep going till I find a cheap gas station, I don't have to panic and stop at the first one I come to.
    A fuel gauge would be better though . . . . . . . .
    But at least nowadays we have grown up from the days when you were doing 80 on the highway and the fuel just suddenly cut off with no warning, and you are drifting down the road trying to find the reserve fuel tap. . . . .

10. dududuckling

dududuckling Cruisin' Guzzisti

2017 V7 III - 35 MPG (strictly city) to 45-50 MPG (on the highway)... so overall is around 37MPG-ish

11. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I decided to delete my comment as YMMV.

But interesting number nonetheless

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018