Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

valve adjustment 2002 California

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by Jay3, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Jay3

Jay3 Just got it firing!

I just picked up a 2002 California found in garage unused for many years. Runs great but very noisy. Adjusted valves per specs and still noisy. Speedo shows only 23k miles. Any suggestions? Thanks Jay3

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

What specification did you use?

3. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

For newbies to Moto Guzzis, especially a California, they think the ticking they hear is noisy. It’s supposed to tick. If you don’t hear the rocker ticking against the top of the valve stem, then your valves are too tight.

Moto-Uno and V700Steve like this.
  4. DeadEye

DeadEye GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

Funny - when I'm stopped at a light with the clutch in you hear some valve train noise - if I put it in neutral you hear More !
    My son was *complaining* about how noisy it is...
    You know its ALIVE !!!

Maybe he prefers or is just used to the sound of his sewing machine...

john zibell likes this.
  5. Jay3

Jay3 Just got it firing!

I used 0.15mm for the exhaust and 0.1.mm for the intake.

6. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

Jay the .1 & .15 are fine and the idle noise is just the dry clutch. FYI much quieter than a Ducati!

7. V700Steve

V700Steve GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

You can compare valve tapping and clutch rattle end of month at the WI MGNOC Rally
    https://wmgr.org/
    Sounds like you are off to a good start, ride it.

8. Jay3

Jay3 Just got it firing!

Thank you for the responses. I will chill with what I perceived as excessive noise. It is however noisier than my sons 2017 V7 Racer but that is 15 years newer. I am used to the engine noise of my Honda (sewing machine) Goldwing. Since I found this older and neglected California I actually prefer riding this beauty.

9. Jay3

Jay3 Just got it firing!

Great idea. I do plan to attend the WI MGNOC Rally on July 31st. The noise I'm experiencing may very well be something else.

10. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Virtually every cellphone has the ability to record a video with sound…

Moto-Uno likes this.
  11. Jay3

Jay3 Just got it firing!

Good idea Scott. Thanks. I’ll need to enlist a teenager or some young buck for help with that but hope to have a video with sound to post soon. Jay3

V700Steve and Moto-Uno like this.