• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Valve cover removal v85tt

Bob Bourget

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just curious......I have but 175 miles on my new ride but planning the valve check around the corner and looking at the clearance between the tank plastic and the valve cover, it does not look like it can be removed without at least lifting the tank slightly.....has anyone input? No mention of it in the manuals but figured I’d ask. Looks like the plug wire bracket on the back of the cover may interfere?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just curious......I have but 175 miles on my new ride but planning the valve check around the corner and looking at the clearance between the tank plastic and the valve cover, it does not look like it can be removed without at least lifting the tank slightly.....has anyone input? No mention of it in the manuals but figured I’d ask. Looks like the plug wire bracket on the back of the cover may interfere?

Thanks!

This is why I miss the old Tonti machines. You can easily remove the valve cover. The V85tt is probably like all the newer bikes where you have to unfasten the tank and move it side to side to gain access to the valve cover. Complete tank removal is probably not necessary.

This is why I miss the old Tonti machines. You can easily remove the valve cover. The V85tt is probably like all the newer bikes where you have to unfasten the tank and move it side to side to gain access to the valve cover. Complete tank removal is probably not necessary.
I've removed the little fuel tank ...wings? shoulders? thingies, on my Breva 11 for precisely this reason. not great aesthetically tho... so I'm designing up a set that will allow the valve covers to be removed without disturbing the tank. I'll post them here when I get a prototype 3d printed up.

The spark plug wires are bolted to a bracket, I think on the back of the valve cover, which would be much easier to access with the tank off.
When I did mine I was hesitant to mess with the tank since the 1200 Sport was such a pain. I left the wires bolted to the covers and just let them hang, I don't remember loosening the rear of the tank and tilting it.
Since then I've had that tank off numerous times and have come to realize it's not a bad job. Next time the valves are due I think I'll just take the tank off to make the rest of the job easier.

I've removed the little fuel tank ...wings? shoulders? thingies, on my Breva 11 for precisely this reason. not great aesthetically tho... so I'm designing up a set that will allow the valve covers to be removed without disturbing the tank. I'll post them here when I get a prototype 3d printed up.

Let me know when you have them. I'd be interested in a set.

As I recall it can be done without moving but removing the back mounting bolt and propping it up an inch or so works better. anyway it's a non issue
if you're replying to me, this does describe the process for the Breva 1100... and to be honest it's quite easy.

but even one extra step required for the sake of some silly plastic panels offends me!

Thank you all for the replies. I will more than likely remove the three tank mounting bolts so I can move it while I operate. I hate scratching things needlessly. I’m surprised it’s not in the manual.

Back