• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Very strange over charging

contractor20

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I'm still struggling to get over not being able to take my T3 to the recent Victorian Spaghetti Ralley(OZ). :( :( :(
THE CAUSE!! .....Over voltage charging.
Just cobbled the bike together with a new Clff Jeffries ign' module after burning out the dyna on one channel and nearly holing a piston. Bike fired up nicely but the recently installed volt gauge showed >16volts at moderate revs ( 2000-2500)after the charge light went out at about >1300rpm.
The Altenator is right on spec with 0.5 ohms on each of the phases and 3.4 ohms on the rotor. The contact rings are in spec and I'm using an Ingrams 9692 diode board (with an added 3 diode bank to pick up the harmonic phase) and a Bosch RE57 regulator as outlined by Pete Roper and hosted on Greg Benders web site.
The battery is a 32 amp gel cell
I have checked all the usual earth connections (new loom) and have a 20 amp frame earth and a starter cable sized earth to the engine. This setup has been operating for 15000km
Figured it must be the regulator and fitted up a new one .........exactly the same result!!!!!
Could I be that unluckyto buy a dud reg? At first i didn't believe the gauge so checked with digital m/meter
HELP!! :?

contractor20 said:
I'm still struggling to get over not being able to take my T3 to the recent Victorian Spaghetti Ralley(OZ). :( :( :(
THE CAUSE!! .....Over voltage charging.
Just cobbled the bike together with a new Clff Jeffries ign' module after burning out the dyna on one channel and nearly holing a piston. Bike fired up nicely but the recently installed volt gauge showed >16volts at moderate revs ( 2000-2500)after the charge light went out at about >1300rpm.
The Altenator is right on spec with 0.5 ohms on each of the phases and 3.4 ohms on the rotor. The contact rings are in spec and I'm using an Ingrams 9692 diode board (with an added 3 diode bank to pick up the harmonic phase) and a Bosch RE57 regulator as outlined by Pete Roper and hosted on Greg Benders web site.
The battery is a 32 amp gel cell
I have checked all the usual earth connections (new loom) and have a 20 amp frame earth and a starter cable sized earth to the engine. This setup has been operating for 15000km
Figured it must be the regulator and fitted up a new one .........exactly the same result!!!!!
Could I be that unluckyto buy a dud reg? At first i didn't believe the gauge so checked with digital m/meter
HELP!! :?

Like you mentioned the regulator is suppose to "Regulate" the DC voltage and supply a constant current.

At different rpms the alternator generates different voltages .... more you rev more the voltage increases in AC volts!
With the extra diode to filter the harmonics you also have a tendency to render the AC voltage, coming out from the alternator, at a higher DC voltage. (RMS value)
The regulator has 3 wires , input, ground, output.
Are the input spec of the regulator compatible?
You may be putting in too much DC voltage in the regulator?
Just a thought

There is only one thing that can happen here: the regulator is energizing the stator all the time and does not turn off. Assuming that the regulator has not failed in the on position, there must be a voltage drop at the regulator. So either the ground is not 100% or there is a voltage drop in the input lead. Get your voltmeter out and measure the volts directly at the regulator. With the engine off it should be identical to battery voltage.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
regulator plug had been wired in reverse!!! Dont know when this occured. Tis a mystery beyond belief as I'm the only pair of hands wot works on the old girl.
Thanks everyone for your offerings. mumble mumble :whistle: :whistle:

Back