• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Vibration in 5th gear

Demon

Tuned and Synch'ed
My California 1100i vibrates noticeably more when I change up to 5th gear, at the moment it's only got 9500 miles on the clock, will this improve any when it's done more miles?
John.

At what RPM are you going to 5th? If it is below 3500, she will not like it. Also have you check the TB sync? Under load any imbalance will be noticeable. If it is not a sync issue, then see if you can replicate the vibration in a lower gear at the same ground speed. If the vibration is present, could be a carrier bearing or velocity joint.

In answer to your questions John,
The revs when I select 5th are normally 4000+
What is tb sync?
If I change down to 4th the vibration is less - the vibration in 5th isn't a massive amount more, just noticeable.
Thanks,
John.

Mate and I had Cali Stones a while ago. Around 35,000k both developed a noticable noise in 5th gear. I believe Pete Roper stated it was caused by the output shaft bearing which is adjacent to 5th gear. Apparently Guzzi had gone to a cheaper bearing with less balls in the roller. No dramas, no damage just noise, replace it when you do a clutch or rear main seal etc.

I would have referred to it more as a whine than a vibration. Pete may confirm.

The bearing itself won't cause a vibration but it will if the cage fails and if that happens on one race the other cage won't be far behind! f that happens there will be damage lots of it! And danger to the rider.

In a case like this though it is very hard to make any sort of diagnosis as we don't know anything about the bike or how it is ridden and the owner is obviously not particularly mechanically inclined. Offering any sort of 'Concrete' advice is well nigh impossible sadly.

pete

pete roper said:
The bearing itself won't cause a vibration but it will if the cage fails and if that happens on one race the other cage won't be far behind! f that happens there will be damage lots of it! And danger to the rider.

In a case like this though it is very hard to make any sort of diagnosis as we don't know anything about the bike or how it is ridden and the owner is obviously not particularly mechanically inclined. Offering any sort of 'Concrete' advice is well nigh impossible sadly.

pete

The bike is low mileage at 9,500 miles. I wouldn't suspect an output bearing. Also I've only seen input bearing failures but I replace both when I see one. Also the 5th gear whine is usually caused by the mating surfaces of the fifth gear pair. Replacing them gets rid of the whine.

I agree, it would be very low mileage for it to happen. Not impossible if the poor thing has been ridden like a Massey Fergusson tractor and never reved beyond 4,000 but unlikely. Most things *Should* be unlikely at that mileage though but simple age may of taken its toll on the grease in the UJ trunnions and the support bearing. as I said, very hard to pick. Oh, and I've seen both input and output ones shit the bed, lavishly!!!! :D :D

Pete

Sorry for not being familiar with the phrase T.B. Sync - this is my first Guzzi / injected bike, I consider myself slightly machanically minded having been building car engines since a child and having rebuilt a B.S.A. a10, B.S.A. B25, Triumph Bonneville T140e and a Honda 750 four F2 from scratch!
Regards,
John.

Oh Jesus! How the hell are we supposed to know you're a mechanical genius? It's an internet board populated by everybody from mutants to miracle workers. Stop being so bloody precious. A quick scan through any half dozen posts in virtually any category would have shown that TB is a simple, easy abreviation for Throttle Body. It can't be too hard to extrapolate from there what people are talking about. You're inteligent if all those letters you use mean anything? Do you really need to be spoon fed every little detail? God's teeth!

Pete

Back