• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

water in oil tube

Bucky

Tuned and Synch'ed
I live in vermont and needless to say i have been riding in some cold weather this october and november coldest morning so far has been around 20 degrees. i noticed today when i drained the oil tube that there was water in it, i assume that this is normal with the cold weather but not sure what do you guys think?

Yep, short rides, condensation etc,..... water in the oil drain line is great, what you dont want is "oil"... drain the water every now and then and bob's your uncle.... you may also find foamy spluge under your valve covers when you adjust the valves, another symptom of moisture in the system.... get the sucker hot by riding it and wringing its neck, cures all your concerns....

Condensation is the culprit. While I've never noticed water in the oil drain line from the airbox on my Breva, condensation getting into the airbox is a real issue with Buells, where re-routing the engine breathers into a drainable catch-can is the remedy. How much water is collected? About two tablespoons-full per 1,000km! Not only does a catch-can reduce oil-contaminaton, it also improves throttle response when the engine is not yet at full operating temperature. Having seen the moisture the Buell produces, I'm tempted to see what can be done with the Breva.

Buckman

I should have added that if you're getting water in the drain line it's a sign of quite a lot of condensation in the engine oil too and a thorough oil change would be a good idea. I've never seen water in my drain tube, but then I never go for short rides although I do ride in winter as well. Ideally, what is best is a good long ride to get things thoroughly hot and help moisture in the oil evaporate as much as possible, and then drain the oil while it is still really hot. Taking the bike to a dealer is unlikely to see the oil drained in the ideal way described unless you have "influence" there. Dealers can't afford the time to warm the oil properly before changing it. Five minutes around the block just isn't good enough. Also mechanics don't like dealing with really hot oil and filters. Nor do I, but it's the best way. I change the oils in three stages for just that reason. Ride - change engine oil and filter. Ride - change gearbox oil. Ride - change CARC oil. Somehow I can't see that happening if I took it to a dealer.

The recommended 10,000km oil change interval is really too long if the bike is used for a lot of short runs or a lot of traffic crawling. If that is your situation, keeping the oil level at the low end of the operating range would also help it warm quicker. Maybe changing the oil every six months would also be wise.

One of the reasons why an oil change is recommended before storing a bike - say for winter in many locations - is so that water in the old oil won't cause internal corrosion.

Graham

Manufacturers run the engine breather into the airbox to minimise air pollution, not because it's a good idea. At the risk of the planet dying a nano-poofteenth sooner, taking the breather to a drainable catch-can is a very good idea.

Engine breathers inevitably take water vapour and oil vapour into the airbox, so finding a small amount of oil in the drain tube is of no concern. I drain mine every 1,000km and get about a teaspoonful of probably water-bearing oil out, but no recognisable water.

Despite the Breva etc having an oil-vapour-condensing chamber at the front of the airbox, the floor of the airbox does get slightly oily, hence the drain tube provision.

As I posted earlier in this thread, the benefits of a breather catch-can on my Buell has convinced me of the benefits. I wonder how much one would enhance the Guzzi's low throttle fuelling too?

Graham

Here is an example of a drainable catch-can - as home-brewed for my Buell.

Completedcatchcan.jpg

Top hoses are engine breather in and can vent out.
Lower hose is the plugged drain line.

Graham

I'm a bit dopy so I don't fully understand what you are saying here ;-)

I thought the Breva/Norge/Sport blow-by system does exactly this bu getting rid of condensation and draining via the air box and the plugged drain tube??

Geordie
Sadly, no.

Much of the air, water vapour and oil mist from the engine breather gets re-injested by the engine as it sucks air from the airbox. Oil mist can also coat the inlet air temperature sensor in there and not allow the FI system to get perfect messaging.

If you get to see inside an airbox before and after the engine breather has been re-directed to a catch can, the difference is amazing. So is low-throttle fuelling response.

Racing bikes and cars invariably use catch-cans for good reasons.

Graham

Ok, so if it's as good idea as that then the next question is what do you use as a catch can?

Looks like another shed™ project - the one on your Buell looks nice - what did it start out life as?

Mike

A laugh is allowed. I'm a Kiwi-in-the-shed guy after all!

http://ausbuells.informe.com/forum/buel ... t2394.html

I've yet to think about how I'd go about a catch-can on the Breva, but being bigger than a Buell I'm sure that space won't be a problem.

Last time I looked into the Breva's airbox I was horrified at the oiliness, yet very little oil makes it down to the bottom of the drain-tube. That reminds me that it'll be time for a new filter at the next service. Any recommendations apart from the OEM item??

No laugh from this shed mate - use what's to hand and don't spend more than necessary - great philosophy and has gotten me out of many a pickle.

I'll ply my mind to one for the B, and we'll see who gets there 1st... although I am sure you will win, what with time being on your side and all - ah one day - sigh!

Iam trying this multi pic with dialouge My solution to airbox oil Its an 1/8 OD fuel grade hose attached with plastic apoxy. The only mod is to reem out the exit hole to fit the hose . Completely reversable, with hopefully no ill effect. Ill be testing it in the next few days
DSCN0465.jpg

DSCN0467.jpg

DSCN0468.jpg

DSCN0479.jpg

Well,I just completed my test runs .The first was about 25 miles and I noticed a leak out of the larger diameter blow by hose. It was because I forgot to pull the plug off the drain hose and didnt have a vent. I since ran 300 miles and the air box is dry as a bone. I guess I could attach a small tee to the drain line and put a small section of hose for a vent and put the plug back in but I dont mind the way it is. dan

Back