• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wayne & Vicky Orwig Crashed!

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
My brother called to say he'd seen this on Facebook:

I know no more, but see: https://www.facebook.com/wayne.orwig.9

For those of you who, like us, don't do FB much or at all, here's the initial entry from Vicky's nephew:

"Mikie Hood feeling heartbroken.

If everyone could take a few mins out of your night and say a pray for my aunt Vicky Orwig and uncle Wayne Orwig! They were in a motorcycle accident tonight in Georgia! She needs all the prays she can get! Please!! I love you guys!"

There is a later comment from a relative that "Wayne has a cracked pelvic and broken wrist. Vicky is in a coma with 7 broken ribs and fractured hip or leg.”

For those of you to whom the names are unfamiliar, Wayne and Vicky Orwig of Dacula (metro Atlanta) are giants of Guzzidom, extraordinarily generous of their time and knowledge.

And, I know few folks who ride as well as Wayne. With Vicky as pillion and towing a trailer, he can make most of us here smaller in his RVM's. Really.

Bill

Bill,

Keep us posted. I am only a few hours away if they need anything. Wayne is one of the more competent riders I know and rides often.

Prayers sent.

I just returned from visiting Wayne. he is doing OK considering. his left arm is wrapped up honestly I was so happy to see him sitting up I forgot to ask if it broken or not. his hip is split (his words). it is taped for now but they will have to repair it with a plate most likely tomorrow. he could go home as early as Tuesday.
The Dr.'s aren't telling him much about Vicki but she is much worse off. she is still unconscious and they haven't said anything other than some head trauma. But she is stable. her collar bone is broken and some ribs but the Dr.'s haven't given him any firm details so it is PRAY and wait. her daughter Amy and her sister from Ohio are with her so I didn't try to go in. I doubt they would have let me any way.
he remembers little from the accident however a police officer saw it. evidently some woman decided to do a U-turn right in front of them. certainly her fault but that does no good right now.
Amy brought him a tablet and her phone so he will have communication when he is ready. right now he needed rest so I came home. I will go to see him again sometime tomorrow and I am close so if there is something needed I will do my best to help him.
right now prayers are needed!

Ugh. Best wishes to Wayne and Vicki, thanks for posting Bill and vagrant.
Not sure if many of you here knew our Rio Guzzi friends Lynn and Lygia Lobo, but they had a very similar and unfortunate accident a month ago. Lynn is recovering still, but Lygia his wife unfortunately passed away. Hoping for a much better outcome.

I stopped by this am about 10:45. Wayne had been in surgery since 7am and it was expected to go until noon.
I went to see Vicky and met her sister. she is still in a coma but has shown some signs of coming out of it. but she is very heavily sedated so I expect they will keep her in that state for a while.
I will try to stop by again tonight if not tomorrow.

I don't know them, but my heart does go out to them. Best wishes on a recovery.
Sorry to hear of Lynn and Lygia Lobo.

I stopped by this am and Wayne was sitting up in a chair and had just had a walker lesson. he looks good and wasn't in any real pain. (good drugs) he has a plate in his left arm to repair the small long bone. the hip repair also went well and wasn't bothering him. as always he has a positive attitude and will be fine in time. but I'm sure the bones will take a long time to heal.
He still didn't have any different news about Vicky. She is still in a coma and they were going to take him down to see her so I headed out. she has a lot of family there and prayer is all we can do.

Vagrant, Thanks for keeping us posted. Please let Wayne know we with them a complete and speedy recovery.

Wayne has been unplugged from the IV and pain meds since yesterday afternoon. he looked very good today and had walked / hobbled down the hall with the walker. he said he needed help getting back but using one arm and one leg I would have needed help too. it is going to be a long road to recovery but as always he has a positive attitude. his only concern is Vicky's condition.
Vicky is still in a coma but breathing on her own. they inserted a feeding tube today and her body reacted to it. I would hope that is a positive sign.

Oh crap! I just saw this. I have not met Wayne and Vicky in person, but I have had the good fortune to read his words on the Guzzis forums for many years.

I am glad Wayne is recovering quickly.

Vicky will have a longer, more complicated road ahead. My wife is a RN and worked in a neuro trauma unit for several years. Unlike in the movies, recovery from a coma is a slow process that passes through several stages. Some of those stages can be very frightening to family members who don't know what to expect (or expect a Hollywood recovery). An example: The brain is rebooting, and some systems come online before others. Some of the first lead to impulsive behaviors that we have learned to control, but the person coming out of a coma may have zero impulse control for a certain stage. They may be violent, only remember profane words, etc. This wildly inappropriate behavior is scary, especially if you don't know that it is a normal step toward recovery. Other stages can be scary, too, and take much longer than we expect.

If anyone visiting Wayne can tell him to talk to Vicky's nurses about what to expect, it's better if he starts learning before the situations arise.

I saw Wayne today as did at least 3 other Guzzi guys. probably too many but at least he knows we care. he is coming along fine. no change for Vicky yet.
I will be gone for a week hunting so I would appreciate others keeping me informed.
on the other Guzzi site George has set up a pay pal account for donations. any and all $ amounts will be appreciated. please check over there if the link I try to post here doesn't work.

As you have probably read in another thread Wayne and Vicky Orwig were involved in a incident last weekend. While Wayne has some healing to do Vicky's situation is much more serious and could result in a very long stay in the Gainesville, GA hospital. Bill Hagan, Steve Nicholas, and I were discussing what we could do to help Wayne once he's released since Gainesville is about an hour from his house and he is in no shape to commute. It quickly occurred to us, however, that this weekend is just the beginning of what will be a long and very expensive process and that whatever we do is not going to be enough.

Wayne has asked for our thoughts and prayers and to please keep Vicky on top of the list. Amen. For anyone who wants to provide some financial support Bill, Steve and I wanted to establish a means to do that as well. Below is a link to a Paypal account that I opened specifically for the benefit of Wayne and Vicky. Although it has my name on it once Wayne is able to fill out some paperwork he will be able to use whatever comes in as he needs to help him deal with this situation. We didn't ask for Wayne's permission so much as we just told him that this was going to happen, and I am sure he will be appreciative of any support his Guzzi family can provide. Right now, however, he has other concerns.

Thanks,

Bill, Steve and George

paypal.me/Orwig

Nice, like a rally in Waynes room today. He is trying to get a rehab room in the same facility. Hope that happens, he could then be by Vicky instead of somewhere else.

I went to see Wayne today in his new rehab room.We went to the gym for physical therapy where they had him working his arms.His sense of humor came through when he said he was doing his beer curls.He was worried about Vicky having not had an update on her condition today.I ran into Guzzi Steve in the parking lot who said the doctor believes Vicky hears what people in the room say and is responding to stimulation.This will be a long road for them and they can use all the help and support we can give them.

First, Todd, I was unaware of the Napa tragedy, and read more here: http://napavalleyregister.com/news/...cle_bd004b29-c95f-597c-b751-8d4f40b6c585.html

BTW, as a lawyer myself, I find it a pretty sleazy practice -- some pun intended :swear: -- for law firms to post repeats of news articles on their firms' websites what sure smacks of a trolling-for-clients operation. I won't add to their "hits" by posting an example here, but those are easy to find. Condolences to all affected.

WRT the Orwigs, however, thanks to you all and other caring friends, the fund is just over $4K USD.

And, here's an update of Wayne & Vicky, currentas of yesterday afternoon when Kathi and I went to Gainesville and visited them at the Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC), http://www.nghs.com/north-patient-tower. NGMC is, btw, a very high-end medical facility, and, without exception during our visit, the staff was friendly and professional.

And -- as Kathi isn't looking over my shoulder! :giggle: -- I'll add that the physical therapist who worked with him while we were there was a near stunning blonde in her late 20's who was also a sweetie.

We met in ICU where Vicky is just now. The reports others have given seem to still be the state of things. We left, however, as a doctor came and began discussing Vicky's condition with Wayne and Amy. We do not know what, if anything, is new.

Vicky remains in a coma, and Wayne, daughter Amy, and some of Vicky's family have been loyally waiting with her. Amy is a great "gate guard" for both of her parents, and says she doesn't need anything just now. Her employer has been generous with her time off, but she started back to work last night.

Wayne is Wayne. If you did not know what had happened you might doubt he'd been in such a tragic accident.

It is touching to see him sit with Vicky doing just that: touching her as a loving husband, holding her hand, and watching the countless displays of data from the cables attached to her. :inlove:

Kathi "talked" to Vicky for a bit, and I listened to Wayne tell about the accident. Inasmuch as he remembers nothing of it, his story is pretty much limited to showing -- and marveling at -- photos guzziknight took of the Stelvio and the car that hit them.

That's pretty much it, but more prayers, good wishes, and similar sentiments won't be wasted.

Bill

Thanks for the update Bill.Not a day goes by that I don't think about Wayne and Vicky and pray for their speedy recovery.

Mike

I got Wayne back to his house late last night. It's not going to be easy for him as he has to up a long set of stairs backwards on his butt. it takes somebody else to get the wheel chair up.
no change on Vicki.

Vicky was transferred today to a long term care facility off I85 in Atlanta. near Druid hills I think. this will be a farther, harder trip to make for Wayne. his daughter can take him weekends but during the week he will have no way to get there. I leave in the am for 6 days in La. and when I get back I will only be here until just after Christmas. if your in the area he sure could use a ride to and from the facility. there is no way to describe how hard this is on him. they are very close. Unfortunately there has been no change. She is still in a coma and Saturday will be three weeks since the accident. I brought Wayne home after she got transferred. he is supposed to get a walker with special support for his arm. He really needs another lighter weight wheel chair that he can cram into the back of a Mustang or safely hang on a bicycle rack. as it stands he has to go up and or down a full flight of stairs on his butt backwards then somebody has to carry the wheel chair up or down. not easy.

Back