• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Weird electrical issue

Julian Sudano

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
1984 V65 SP

I seem to have finally developed the legendary Italian electrical issues on my bike.

Problem started off as an intermittent one but is now permanent. When I turn on the ignition switch, prior to hitting the start button, I don't get any warning lights on the dash - Oil Pressure, Generator or Neutral. The beast starts alright, but still no idiot lights. I usually ride with the headlight on full time, and that warning light also doesn't come on, unless I put the Light Switch in the Off position!

The other day I noticed that as I pulled up to a traffic light and was braking using only the foot pedal, but then used the hand lever, all of the dashboard warning lights came on. Sure enough, by operating the hand lever with the foot pedal depressed, I could make the lights flash on and off. Also, when I was using higher revs, the Generator light would come on, but then go off at idle speed.

I have checked the starter relay and it has good resistance and the magnet works. Pulled the ignition barrel and couldn't find any issues there either. All fuses in the fuse box are good. I did recently have to replace the Voltage Rectifier as one of the diodes had died.

I'm beginning to suspect that the switch gear on the LHS on the handle bars may be broken as that seems to be where the warning lights get their electrical supply from if I am reading the wiring diagram correctly? Otherwise I'm stumped and I hate electrical issues!

Are those handle bar switch clusters serviceable, or is it a part that needs to be replaced when it malfunctions?

Any input appreciated!

First think to do with these older machines is to disconnect every harness connector, then clean with contact cleaner, then reconnect. Most electrical problems with these older bikes is corrosion at the connectors. Also since you are a contributor, you have access to the schematic in the downloads section.

So, you have to understand, most of those idiot lights are permanently fed by +ve, and for example, neutral or oil pressure bulb just needs ground to go "on". The ground comes straight from switch. In case of generator, one end is permanently fed by +ve as we said, other - by nothing; until generator starts to make juice, and then +ve appears there, making bulb off. So, I'd say your problem is with general supply of +ve to the idiot lights. The wiring diagram will definitely help, it isn't much complicated. Trace where +ve comes from, I believe it will come from one of those connector blocks, 12-pin or 15-pin, and problem is there - not in the panel, but under the tank.

OK - that makes sense. I did clean the connector blocks with electrical contact cleaner which worked...temporarily.

Appreciate the input - Cheers!

Back