• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7/9 Wet stator failure

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Here is a pic of a new unit then mine with one coil shorted to ground. Pads said it was fine. I am relatively certain it is a POS made in China for one of their scooters. Mine is far from the only one to fail.

Pics below.
Purchase info to support this site;

Thumbnail IMG 0781 Thumbnail IMG 0782 Thumbnail IMG 0783 Thumbnail IMG 0786 Thumbnail IMG 0787

Here is a pic of a new unit then mine with one coil shorted to ground. Pads said it was fine. I am relitivly certain it is a POS made in China for one of their scooters. Mine is far from the only one to fail.
Yup, Imthink that will be me too. So the stator to stator needs to be tested. Do you happen to know where the connector is located? Many thanks.

If you follow the two front frame down tubes up you will see a somewhat triangular black plastic flap near the horn. If you pry it back the wires are behind it. All 4 feet of them. It will bend easily if hot out. Unfortunatly I had to pull the gas tank and I think one coil to eventually get to the connector because of all the zip ties they used.

Thanks. Now I am going to ask a daft question so brace yourself! So these are the wires that go to what is described as a 3 way connector in the service manual? I cannot read the circuit diagrams because they are so small and insufficient resolution to magnify. So can I ask more daft questions? The first test I have to do is measure pin to pin 3 way connector and I should see a rpm dependent AC signal of between 30 and 100 V? This is with bike running of course. I guess Imcan start bike with this connector un plugged. Also I should measure pin to pin resistance with engine stopped? Now, the service manual photo shows 3 way connector but with only 2 wires going to it so very confused! Then are rectifier and regulator now a single combined unit? I know I have a problem because you shouldn't be able to ride 2000 km with a new battery in 2 days and then only have 12.1V the next morning BUT it could still be a bad battery, so I will fully charge, check resting voltage and then look at charging again. I am convinced that dealers are addicted to PADS believe that faults only exist if they throw an error code......can't believe this bike doesn't have a charging light or a battery voltage display. Next purchase is a battery monitor!

The downloads has a schematic for the V7III you can download and blow up as needed. It shows 3 wires from the stator (drawing calls it a flywheel) to the regulator/rectifier. However the service manual identifies 2 yellow wires and the test procedure. You can upgrade your status to have access to the downloads.

See;

I skipped school when they taught electrical testing. Fortunately, I have good friends.
Lesson 1 with Guzzi, never trust a manual.
The connector has 3 black wires on a 2017 V7III. Now your on your own.

Looking further in the procedure it does reference the 3 pin connector. Not a well written procedure though.

You can find one of these cheap on ebay or amazon. If I remember right I tapped into the running light wire. What you will see is as soon as you put a load on the system it drops to 12-12.5. Load being a Gerbing vest powered through a heat troller. As soon as you kick in another load like heated grips the system can't keep up. I suspect this is why PADS shows it good.

B0008781 2B47 493F 9673 F444EA27753A

You can find one of these cheap on ebay or amazon. If I remember right I tapped into the running light wire. What you will see is as soon as you put a load on the system it drops to 12-12.5. Load being a Gerbing vest powered through a heat troller. As soon as you kick in another load like heated grips the system can't keep up. I suspect this is why PADS shows it good.

View attachment 22819
Very good! The indicator that is, very bad that the capacity of the charging system is almost nothing!

Secondly my issue diagnosed as burnt out stator coils. Now the only accessory I have is a USB phone charger so I am left thinking that this is either (1) Crap component or (2) Crap design or (3) Crap luck. What I do have to add is that MG in Huelva is saying many weeks and maybe MONTHS until the new coils arrive. So that would seem to be really Crap support. Now on a bus from Huelva with my gear and saddlebags, not an advert for the folks on the shore of Lake Como is it? Of course it could happen to any bike but why no gen light and no voltage display?

Apart from me being cross with MG for 'months for part' how do I stop it just happening again?
You can’t apart from (me) possibly pushing to have a reputable company make one for us. If you are in a pinch, I do have an Asian aftermarket replacement on the shelf that I can sell and send to you;

You can’t apart from (me) possibly pushing to have a reputable company make one for us. If you are in a pinch, I do have an Asian aftermarket replacement on the shelf that I can sell and send to you.
Hello! Thanks very much for this! I will do some research. May I ask: Is this a common failure?

Hello! Thanks very much for this! I will do some research. May I ask: Is this a common failure?
Welcome. Common, no... but it's surfacing often enough that I will be stocking one.

Back