• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

When men were men... Vintage "Dual Sporting"

Got my beer, Asked the wife nicely if she'd cook the BBQ and clicked ....................nothin happening!!!!!!!! Diddn't find it on flikr:( :( :( oh well looks like I'll have to do the cooking after all I'll try another time.

Cheers from OZ
Kym

Try again (corrected above), hope the beer is still cold (Fosters?).

Wow, thanks.....very nostalgique!!

I remember those days....a dual sport bike was whatever you had, and was easily identified by the turnsignals that hung straight down. I had a buddy aboard ship that I rode with a lot in Sandy Eggo, who had one of those. We made a perfect pair, especially on the freeway. My headlight lit up the road, and his lit up the embankment....

Very timely for me. I'm just finishing up a full redue on a 1971 450CL for my son (Larry). Painted the tank covers and fender yesterday. The project has gone really well and the bike is looking showroom new. I'll post photos when it's finished.

Hey Larry,

By all means. post the pics. My Lookout photo is on a 450 Honda, which was considered a big bike at the time. My first bike was a 120 Suzukii two-stroke single, and my first vintage bike was my third overall, a 500cc BSA flathead single, the M20, the WWII military model. I got it from Buzz Walneck, who published a motorcycle sale rag.

VintageCrump1.jpg

VintageCrump2.jpg

VintageCrump3.jpg

Check this Tim. We found the bike about a year and a half ago and the kid wanted it so he could out cool the biker boys without having to go stoplight to stoplight. Now.....back then he saw your avatar and said "HEY LOOK":woohoo: It's coming along great and I will post some shots.

I added Tim's fun pics above, which leads me to the question... one could only wish today's "stunta's" were forced to ride such machines when they first learned to ride, instead of the current 150+ hp bikes on the floor today, taking people out in the process. I guess I'll continue to wax nostalgic.

Hey Todd,
Thanks for posting them!
That little Suzuki was perfect for leaning to ride. You had to really work at getting it down the road. I had the fortunate luck to go to Foothill JC, in Los Altos California. The road to the school went all the way up to Skyline Blvd, fairly close to Alice's Restaurant, the motorcycle hangout. Every time I went to school, I had the choice of turning into the school parking, or riding the twisties all day....talk about your no brainer!!!

I met a guy at that school who had an Electra-Glide, and the photos of his trip on the Harley to Costa Rica. That blew me away, and I got the motorcycle travel bug. Getting the BSA gave me the vintage bug.

Then the Navy sent me to Sandy Eggo....a whole county of twisties!!!! I wore out that 450 Honda, and that's when I found my first Guzzi, an Ambo.....the beginning of a love affair (cue the music)....

...no Tim, I don't think anybody wants a face with a power plug in the center:lol:

Thanks a lot for the link... it took me back in time and in space...

Beautiful photos... well worth the 15 minutes I sat watching them!!!

Once I clicked on the 'full screen' button it was just pure magic... I killed the lights and went into a time warp!

A photograph of my father when he was--I believe--15 years old. I don't think any of the roads were paved in that corner of Washington.

bob%20and%20harley.jpg

Nice Daniel, what year would that have been?

First one below is of my Grandfather circa 1936 or so, and the second is his brother Dan around the same time.

BBalsis_36HD.GIF

DanBalsis.jpg

Re:When men were men... Vintage

RacerX wrote:
Nice Daniel, what year would that have been?

It would have been 1945.

Somewhat taking this thread off course...

A couple of years later (but still high school), that's my father on the left and his sister (my aunt) in the white jump suit. I can't tell if that's my dad's Harley or his friend's They both had the same model.
bob%20and%20ruth%20and%20bike%20and%20friends.jpg

Now you know what part of Washington...
harleybob.JPG

My grandfather (in Walla Walla Washington)
JJ%20Laughlin%20and%20police%20motorcycle.jpg

That's me on the back of the little Triumph (I was always a scrawny kid)
RDK_DRK_triumph.jpg

And, if you really want to go all the way back...
drk1958.jpg

Hey Daniel,

Great pics!!!!

You certainly come by your riding honestly.

Now you just need to find one of those family bikes in the corner of a shed!!!!

Hey Todd ... what would those stuntas be without a dose of good ole natural selection? ;)

Just slighty OT: this is what we call a "granny bike" in the Netherlands:

MyOtherBikeIsAGuzzi.jpg

Fun pics Daniel. You're going to send me really digging. For now, my parents (yes, they both rode);

Dad-Bsa.jpg

Mom-bmw.jpg

RJVB, I don't oppose natural selection, it's those who are just innocent victims is what really sucks... though many a good people have lost their lives this year alone on these death machines.

Back