• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

When to Replace a Helmet?

Series4 said:
I'm happy with my BMW System 5. I like the flexibility of being better able to communicate with toll booth operators, shop staff etc without de-helming and it's also easier to take photos.

This was another model that I was looking at.
Steve's (Averb) site rates the "Caberg Konda" and "System 5" top of its class.

Called a couple of BMW dealers that have the helmet on special .....none my size :(
Replaced by the "System 6".

john zibell said:
DanPez said:
On the same subject of helmets ..... any opinions on Open-Face or Flip-Flop?

Flip front only certify as an open face. The question is do you want to look good, or keep your looks? I'm of the full face helmet persuasion.

Yes I agree here, I can only theorize about what would have happened , if I had been wearing a Flip Flop, when a drunk driver hit me, but the lower part of my full face was abraded deep into the fibreglass.

I was in hospital being rebuilt for 5 months, but my face was OK :lol:

another thing to consider is the design of the helmet. my X-Lite full face is great on a sports bike but when on the Bellagio in an upright position it is noisy, This i think is down to the air vents on top of the helmet. when the Guzzi screen is fitted it is even worse. However for comfort and fit it is great. Its a shame you can not go on a test ride to see what the helmet is like when riding the bike.

I just bought this and it ticks all the boxes for function, comfort and style. It sure beats the 7 year old HJC :whistle:

car005.jpg

car004.jpg

I replaced mine every 5 years.

I sold my 5 years old/50,000km/31,250miles Arai RX-7 RR4 for one third of its original purchase price. Yes, riders do buy used helmet here and I used the money with some topping up to buy a new RR5 with the same colour.

Don't they look the same ;)

PDSCN6700.jpg

PDSCN6708.jpg

My beloved Caberg (flip flop) must now be around 4 years young. It has never been dropped, but does look highly iffy. It has a sort of coating on it, vaguely sticky, almost as if it was wrapped at the factory in cling film that sticks to stuff, so road dirt, flies, etc all stick and won't come off.
Has anyone else had this problem, and how did they resolve it. I've tried all the usual helmet cleaning ideas - none work.

Thanks
Adam

:?: Funny you should mention that! My previous lid was a Lazer, which I had for about 5 years. Just this year it developed a sticky coating which attracted flies, hairs, dust, etc, which I could not remove. I tried WD40, carb cleaner, soap and hot water, all to no avail. I haven't a clue as to the cause of this condition, and the only cure was to buy a new lid. Which is what I did. I had considered that the fault might lie in the matte, soft touch, rubberised finish that started to deteriorate over time. I dunno.

motoguzziman said:
john zibell said:
DanPez said:
On the same subject of helmets ..... any opinions on Open-Face or Flip-Flop?

Flip front only certify as an open face. The question is do you want to look good, or keep your looks? I'm of the full face helmet persuasion.

Yes I agree here, I can only theorize about what would have happened , if I had been wearing a Flip Flop, when a drunk driver hit me, but the lower part of my full face was abraded deep into the fibreglass.

I was in hospital being rebuilt for 5 months, but my face was OK :lol:

I have no problem with modular or other wise known as flip-flop helmets. When I totaled out my Bonnie, I hit the ground, then then was flipped over on my stomach. My Nolan N102 scraped along the ground letting me see every piece gravel and leftover road kill as they passed by my eyes. The modular chin piece did its job and stayed in place saving me from a face implant. I replace that helmet with another N102, and now also wearing a Nolan Trilogy with a removable chin bar if one so desires (not Me :eek: )

Bill

DanPez said:
Holt said:
I do like the flips better because I'm wearing glasses, but with a fresh pair of eyes I'd consider a full face. :dry:

Thats my issue also .... having the full face and wearing glasses. (Mine you my round face doesn't help either) :)

Bill's "Nolan N43 Trilogy" or the "Shoei Multitech" looks pretty interesting and am leaning towards something similar.
But doing some web shopping I found an Italian company OSBE that makes this wicked looking helmet but is not DOT nor Snell approved.
They are ECE22.05 EUROPEAN APPROVED

Has anyone heard pos/neg things about them?

Try this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... pa-helmet/

It took me more than a year to decide ..... :pinch: :oops: (Better late than never)
Like most of you mentioned I tried it out before buying it.
Tried out the Shoei Qwest (Graphic) and for a couple of bucks more the Arai VectorII (Plain) was a slightly better fit.
Then for the hell of it I tried out the Shoei RF-1100 same size (M) and couldn't even get my head inside ..... but the Arai RX-Q fitted like a glove. (Better than any I tried)
I had The Quantum for a few years ..... decided to stick with Arai given my O head.

Attachments

• DSC_0015a.jpg
    DSC_0015a.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 695
  • DSC_0016a.jpg
    DSC_0016a.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 695
Back