Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

When to Replace a Helmet?

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by DanPez, Apr 10, 2011.

1. DanPez

DanPez Cruisin' Guzzisti

This was another model that I was looking at.
    Steve's (Averb) site rates the "Caberg Konda" and "System 5" top of its class.

Called a couple of BMW dealers that have the helmet on special .....none my size :(
    Replaced by the "System 6".

2. Chicago Mark

Chicago Mark Cruisin' Guzzisti

For me it's like tires. when you think it 'may' be time; it is.

all the best,

Mark

3. motoguzziman

motoguzziman Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Yes I agree here, I can only theorize about what would have happened , if I had been wearing a Flip Flop, when a drunk driver hit me, but the lower part of my full face was abraded deep into the fibreglass.

I was in hospital being rebuilt for 5 months, but my face was OK :lol:

4. BellagioBob

BellagioBob Tuned and Synch'ed

another thing to consider is the design of the helmet. my X-Lite full face is great on a sports bike but when on the Bellagio in an upright position it is noisy, This i think is down to the air vents on top of the helmet. when the Guzzi screen is fitted it is even worse. However for comfort and fit it is great. Its a shame you can not go on a test ride to see what the helmet is like when riding the bike.

5. double.d

double.d Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I just bought this and it ticks all the boxes for function, comfort and style. It sure beats the 7 year old HJC :whistle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Phang

Phang Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I replaced mine every 5 years.

I sold my 5 years old/50,000km/31,250miles Arai RX-7 RR4 for one third of its original purchase price. Yes, riders do buy used helmet here and I used the money with some topping up to buy a new RR5 with the same colour.

Don't they look the same ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Zecis

Zecis Just got it firing!

My beloved Caberg (flip flop) must now be around 4 years young. It has never been dropped, but does look highly iffy. It has a sort of coating on it, vaguely sticky, almost as if it was wrapped at the factory in cling film that sticks to stuff, so road dirt, flies, etc all stick and won't come off.
    Has anyone else had this problem, and how did they resolve it. I've tried all the usual helmet cleaning ideas - none work.

Thanks
    Adam

8. mickyvee_2010

mickyvee_2010 Tuned and Synch'ed

:?: Funny you should mention that! My previous lid was a Lazer, which I had for about 5 years. Just this year it developed a sticky coating which attracted flies, hairs, dust, etc, which I could not remove. I tried WD40, carb cleaner, soap and hot water, all to no avail. I haven't a clue as to the cause of this condition, and the only cure was to buy a new lid. Which is what I did. I had considered that the fault might lie in the matte, soft touch, rubberised finish that started to deteriorate over time. I dunno.

9. GUZZIWALT

GUZZIWALT Just got it firing!

so my bell star from 1984 should be replaced

10. Mi_ka

Mi_ka High Miler

donated to some helmet museum.

11. oldmanjob

oldmanjob Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have no problem with modular or other wise known as flip-flop helmets. When I totaled out my Bonnie, I hit the ground, then then was flipped over on my stomach. My Nolan N102 scraped along the ground letting me see every piece gravel and leftover road kill as they passed by my eyes. The modular chin piece did its job and stayed in place saving me from a face implant. I replace that helmet with another N102, and now also wearing a Nolan Trilogy with a removable chin bar if one so desires (not Me :eek: )

Bill

12. slipknot

slipknot Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Try this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... pa-helmet/

13. DanPez

DanPez Cruisin' Guzzisti

It took me more than a year to decide ..... :pinch: :oops: (Better late than never)
    Like most of you mentioned I tried it out before buying it.
    Tried out the Shoei Qwest (Graphic) and for a couple of bucks more the Arai VectorII (Plain) was a slightly better fit.
    Then for the hell of it I tried out the Shoei RF-1100 same size (M) and couldn't even get my head inside ..... but the Arai RX-Q fitted like a glove. (Better than any I tried)
    I had The Quantum for a few years ..... decided to stick with Arai given my O head.

Attached Files:

14. motoguzziman

motoguzziman Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

15. Mi_ka

Mi_ka High Miler

interesting