• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Where is the oil filler cap

drmike176

Just got it firing!
I need to add a little oil to my Norge but neither the mechanic or myself can find the filler cap. The last time I added the oil through the dip stick. Its probably right in front of me. The manual does not give the location. Any help out there?

The dip stick hole is the only one - bit of a bugger if you don't have a funnel though.

I must have never owned an"elegant" designed bike... all of mine have filled w/ the dipstick hole (except those w/ viewing ports, and they still filled through a similar opening);)

drmike176 wrote:
I'll see if I can find one that will fit.

I think they're adjustable:p

By the way... welcome to the forum! Sometimes serious, sometimes silly, Always passionate about Guzzi

I'm assuming you have a Norge with the new pull out yellow dipstick, which is what I have. If so, go to the auto parts store and get two of those small $6.00 plastic pumps that you use to pump gear oil into auto transmissions. Use one pump for the pumping and use the hard plastic tubing from the other pump and stick it into the flexible hose. This is what I use and it works like a charm. The hard plastic hose fits into the dipstick hole perfectly and doesn't spill a drop of oil when you pump the oil in. ;) Using a funnel to top off the oil is next to impossible unless you don't mind spilling oil all over the place. It seems that someone at Guzzi signed off on the Norge fairing design without anyone figuring out that the fairing gets in the way of filling and checking the engine oil.

drmike176 wrote:
If that's it, what an ugly design.

Lordy, you sound like a beemerist. :p

Hey, could be worse. If you had a TLM dipstick and find out you need to add oil on the road, sans funnel. Couldn't even find one in WalMart, and they have everything. :(

So, what to do?

No big deal ... necessity is a mom, etc.

IMGP9895s.jpg

Regards,

Bill

Hello;

I have the "new" yellow dip stick. Pull the dip stick, remove the remaining bolt/nut.... And you will have a "normal" sized hole that will take a "normal" funnel.

SO, the question is whether to carry a turkey baster or a socket, extension and swivle (it's not a straight shot from the fairing to the oil fill hole.

It's rather inconvenient no matter what... But that is the trade off for a full faired bike.... not really a issue once you figure out a reliable solution. However, do it BEFORE you leave on a long trip.... :)

Geez, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. I have a Norge with the yellow dipstick. Too big a pain to pull off all the plastic to get at & remove the black bolt at the bottom, then put it all back, IMHO. I use the same "funnel" method I have been using on various Guzzis for decades. I like to save the nice shiney paper wasted on stupid political ads sent to my house, roll them up in a funnel shape with a bottom hole appropriate to the hole you get after pulling the dipstick, leaving the black bottom bolt as is, and a top not so wide that you can't get it down behind the fairing, then use about an inch worth of duct tape to hold the funnel together in your chosen shape. Insert & pour as slowly as you need to, pull & toss. No need to clean the thing, or worry about it collecting dust to go in to your crank next time.

It helps that I have chosen to permanently remove the rearward fairing piece, & replaced the red (or whatever) belly pan with the flat black chin piece that comes with the Breva or the base model Norge (not available in the US) for my own reasons (cooler in my opinion in hot LA, plus permanently easier access, inc no need to remove the belly pan if I need/want to jack up the bike from under the pan. Anytime I add oil I just remove the 2 allen bolts at the rear of the fairng piece that goes over the dipstick, so the plastic piece flexes out a bit making it even easier to fit the funnel in there. The whole drain/fill operation takes, I don't know, 20-30 minutes? Also real easy to add a bit on a long trip if I feel the need, using whatever suitable paper I can find, like local attraction ads at most motels.

sbaker wrote:
But that is the trade off for a full faired bike....
Not so, I have a Spada III, which is fully faired,and a Guzzi of course, and topping up the oil , or checking the level is no problem at all.
Just that the idiot designers that guzzi now employ see form over function every time. Having made the mistake on the early Norges, they then did the same on the Stelvio.

I machined down a piece of PTFE to fit the dipstick hole, then attached a 15" piece of clear plastic hose to it, then a small funnel to the other end of the hose. Works slick. I have about 4 others made up if anyone is interested. Price will be reasonable.

Bill Hagan wrote:
Hey, could be worse. If you had a TLM dipstick and find out you need to add oil on the road, sans funnel. Couldn't even find one in WalMart, and they have everything. :(
So, what to do?

This is new? I used cut up Coke bottles to add oil to my 850T when I was travelling. No different with the Norge. Main hassle with the Norge is the fancy oil, the T would take anything! If the Norge starts using oil on long trips I'll have to bring my own.

Probably have to be a little fancier with the pocket knife to get a suitable pouring lip for the TLM fitting than I had to be with the T's, filler but can't see that as being much of a problem.

Zebee

zebee wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:

So, what to do?

zebee wrote:
This is new? I used cut up Coke bottles to add oil to my 850T when I was travelling. No different with the Norge. Main hassle with the Norge is the fancy oil, the T would take anything! If the Norge starts using oil on long trips I'll have to bring my own.

Probably have to be a little fancier with the pocket knife to get a suitable pouring lip for the TLM fitting than I had to be with the T's, filler but can't see that as being much of a problem.

Zebee

Actually, it is much easier to fill my EV on the road using the route you mention, but the Norge is a bit of a PITA.

And, as Sam notes, planning ahead helps, but the initial oil usage following engine rebuild was more than I expected (which is not the same as what I SHOULD have expected), so I was caught unawares by the amount I needed to add. Now that it has settled in, seems to use little to none, and I hope not to need field-expedient solutions such as you mention.

But I assure you that the slow-filling TLM tube is a bit of a challenge over the relatively large mouth of the standard fill hole, and is especially so if you muck it up and need to clean up spillage on the road. And, as you mention, the shamefully expensive oil makes you want to wring the clean-up rags into the funnel! :woohoo:

Bill

I carry a 13" clear plastic tube with a plastic ending that fits the dipstick hole to make adding oil on the road easier then having to remove all the plastic. To pour down the tube a dry gas bottle can be used to prevent oil from going all over the place. The tube can be carried under the seat. I believe the tube opening is 3/4".

Welcome to the Guzzi sadist club!, I've got the Teo Lamers extension and bought some 5/8 clear plastic tubing which I stick onto the end of a funnel and it works fine. Good Luck.

Back