• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Which Griso ?? Comments welcome

luca

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am considering a Griso and found a 2007 with 7000kms and a brand new 2010. I'm told the only difference (other than $4000 price) is the engine size 1100v1200.
Any comments suggestions feedback as to which i should consider? 2007 in immaculate condition.
Thank you

Well, if $4,000 isn't an issue I'd buy new (assuming the manufacturer's warranty is available).

Otherwise I've had my '06 Griso for about 5 months (had similar mileage to the one you are looking at) and am getting along with it just fine.

As I understand it the big difference is the motor (2010 has more power) otherwise the two bikes are pretty much the same.

the 1100 is a different motor, tuned differently, mated to a different clutch, and a different output gear ratio.

Test ride both and see which one you'll like best...
I own a 07 (wife's) and also a 09 and the later is a different animal for sure.
I wouldn't trade the 8V for the 4V, no way. But that's me.
In the end it doesn't matter, they're both great and fun.

Hi Luca, if you do go for the 1200 make sure all the garantee work has been done, the 1200s had some trouble with the cam followers so make sure its been done. I have an 1100 and I must say the clutch is a bit sharp, makes riding in town and traffic jams and the like a bit of a pain but that might just be my bike but when you get out of town the motor is great. I don't think I would ever get rid of the 1100 for a 1200, can't see that I would ever need the extra power !

Hi Luca
I have the 1100 2v and its the best.
The 8V I believe has the hit in the 6000-8000 rpm range.
I'm an old fart and rarely ride there, and if i did I'd have no license.
I'd say as above test ride both.
As Hugzy said the 1100 is a bit jerky around town(transmission snatch) but I just live with it as on the open road there's nothing like a Griso 1100 or 1200.
Buy either and enjoy, but don't tell anyone its our secret. :lol:

Harry

In OZ

Have to say that i'm more than happy with my 4v Griso, its just nicely bedded in at 16000 miles, in that oil consumption has virtually stopped and the gearbox has become smoother. I've had no probs at all in 19 months of ownership, apart from a loose battery screw, which was down to me,and i've ridden it through winter salt ( sprayed it with ACF50) . Before i'd consider swapping it for an 8v i'd have to have a good burn round on one first. 4v's might not be the fastest but they're fast enough

The 1100 is a great bike but the 1200 is better.

If you go with the 1200 and it is coming from a reputable dealer you won't have any problems if they set it up correctly. If it is from some half arsed dealer take it to one of the good guys to setup for you.
The 1200 has a better brake package (the 1100 has good brakes) and more torgue throughout the usable rev range.
There is no hit in the rev range anymore due to the updated maps fitted, my 2008 1200 runs like a train with its upgraded map all the way from 2000 - 8000 rev limit.
Can't think of any reason to buy the 1100 instead of a 1200 except for the significant price difference.
Both are easy to maintain, 1200 just needs the correct full synthetic engine oil.
If you haven't owned an 1200 then the 1100 won't disappoint.

Mark

the 1200 Griso also has a shorter reach to the wider bars which is more comfortable, Radial Front Calipers as someone else pointed out, wavy Braking Rotors, (but I still changed out my MC and my brake pads on my 1200) also a better shaped seat that hasn't been pointed out, rear sets are higher (could be a negative, I have 1.5" drops on mine now)

Hope that helps, plus with Guzzitech mods you can get 115hp out of the 1200cc 8v Griso, so it really is a different animal

Back