• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Which MG?

LDB

Tuned and Synch'ed
OK, it's really a trick question in a way. I was thinking about new bikes and which specific new bikes I like and might want to get. I confess there are a few, emphasis on few, other than MG that make it to the primary suspect list. That said, there would be very few, if any at all, that would make it to the final cut.

Then I got thinking about MG specifically and came to the conclusion I like them all. There isn't really a model I don't like. That said, I do like some more than others. I got to really thinking about it and my favorites are the V7 and the Norge.

I really like the Commando. There's something about that bike that just does it. All the lines and the look are just spot on. The V7 reminds me of a Commando. The look, the lines, there's just something about that bike that's just right. So many other bikes are one repaint away from looking like so many others. Change from team green to team blue and you'd have to look very closely to figure out it's not that brand and that bike. The V7 is like the Commando. There's nothing else that comes close.

The Norge has such beautiful flowing lines. You look at it and it's obvious it's the perfect machine for touring and riding. Yeah, there are other touring bikes and some of them have very nice lines. None have any better lines than the Norge. As nice as the Cali and Stelvio and others are, the Norge just has that little something extra. It's not just great, it's perfect.

So I'll take any MG someone wants to give me but when I get the green light to buy it will be either a V7 or a Norge.

It's funny you mention the Commando because that was the bike I found myself coming back to more and more when looking for a bike. I love the long, low lines to the bike but the maintenance was keeping me from committing to finding a clean 40 year old example. There are lots of nice ones out there but I couldn't see myself spending that much money on an unknown.
I ended up with a '13 V7R and couldn't be happier. I canned the little front fairing and rear number plate, lowered the guages and headlight and put on some bar end mirrors. The bike is exactly what I wanted, out performs my riding abilities (I know, I know), and visually doesn't have a bad angle or side. I was sitting in the garage last night, pretending to listen to my wife, and realized that the view from the right rear quarter, with the upswept pipes is perfect. Almost as nice as the same angle on the wife :shock: .
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes; I could see myself on a Stelvio, Griso, California.............
55_zps510e9065.jpg

555_zps43e91436.jpg

It is interesting that the OP made a comparison between the V7 and Commando. I was thinking the very same thing when I did a demo ride on a '13 V7 last week. The 850 I owned many years ago was a real work of art. Honestly, by the time it was built the design was already over the hill. The V7, by comparison, has the modern stuff that Norton wished for. Today I went out for another break-in ride (bought the bike on Saturday). Just rolling through the gears I got up to 70 with no strain and, had I been on a deserted road, could have been rolling along at 80 all day with lots of power to spare. Right now I'd hesitate to take the V7 on a long trip only because it is so light that it does not absorb rough roads like my Stelvio does. That's where a 600#+ bike starts to really shine. With that said, if you are choosing between the Norge and V7 it comes down to asking how you will be using the bike. For a blast across the country...Norge; quick rides across town or in the countryside...V7. Either way you get a winner.

Peter Y.

One primary use will be a 95 miles round trip ride to visit family. Also random "I feel like a ride for an hour or two" spur of the moment rides. I'm not sure if I'll ever take a long touring ride again. The V7 is probably the far more logical choice and probably the way I'm leaning. If I win the lotto I'll get one of each. :D

The Griso is a nice bike and I will gladly accept one from anyone that wants to gift one but it's not the one for me. The tank is smaller than I wish and the overall lines/look just don't speak to me the way the others do. Still, it's my favorite MG if someone wants to give me one. :D

Its probably a personal thing, but i think the Griso looks good from every angle, unless you're roadkill. I've had a Buell X1 for 12 years , and after many changes and mods , it still only looks good from certain views

Back