• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Be sure to see our STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commerically supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2022.

Why are EV Motorcycles failling

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
Electric motorcycles have all the appeal of watching wet paint dry.

Boring, boring, boring.

Besides, you can buy really nice used motorcycles for what Zero wants for their crap.

DeadEye

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Not a Harley Davidson and I’ve see Uglier :rofl:

FDCC3723 5955 4489 A09E 6CE78D19332D

From CNET:
Harley-Davidson announced an updated version of its LiveWire electric motorcycle on Thursday; only it's not a Harley anymore. Instead, Harley has spun off its electric motorcycle division into its own brand, which is also called LiveWire.

The LiveWire One looks a whole lot like the Harley-branded LiveWire we know and love, only it's got a new paint job and a new logo. As before, the bike offers up around 146 miles of range in urban riding and can be DC fast-charged from 0-100% in 60 minutes, making it pretty easy to live with.

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
I've done a great deal of thinking about why these Electric motorcycle things just make me sick to my stomach. I hate them on a visceral level. It's irrational I know but it is what it is. I've struggled with identifying the underlying reason "why" in my subconscious that I felt this way.

I think it's because they more than miss the point of what a motorcycle is to me. They surgically removed everything that makes a motorcycle, well, a motorcycle.

To me, my motorcycles and the ones that catch my eye, speak to me on a primal level. They strike a chord in my soul. When I ride them, they literally become "alive" to me. I hear and feel her pulse; the rhythm and sounds of mechanical components, combustion, wind resistance, vibrations, and the magic and beauty of a well crafted, two-wheeled, smile manufacturing machine that is the very definition of the phrase, "The Whole Is So Much Greater Than The Sum Of Its Parts."

I love motorcycles and I despise these things...

GerryAZ

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT di Razza Pura
I test rode a couple of Zero models in 2011. I might have purchased one for commuting if my first electric car was not already on order at the time. I have no need for the noise and enjoyed the instant torque. I am sure the newer ones are even better and would definitely have an off-road model if I had a big enough back yard to play in (ride in the evening without disturbing neighbors).

Last edited:

Raven

High Miler
GT Famiglia
Motorcycles have always been enjoyment/entertainment to me. I have never used one to get from A to B. The route taken or the destination/turning point are secondary. Just getting on one, firing it up and heading out, whether for 20 minutes or 8 hours is the whole point. The noise, the feeling, the freedom, that's what it's all about. To me the sound of the engine, timing my shifts just right, feeling the engine running in it's happy range, that's motorcycling.

Bisbonian

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I feel sorry for those of you who have such hatred for electric motorcycles that you've never even ridden one to have something to base your irrational hatred on.
I'm at a point where a single motorcycle has to do it all for me, so electric is really not in the cards for a variety of reasons.

However I have gone to the local Zero dealer, who is very free with demo rides, and took their suggestion for a ride on a new SR/F last year. It had 3 ride modes; road, eco, and sport. I started out in road mode and it was pretty good. I appreciated the relative silence of the electric drive as it didn't detract from the actual riding experience. A switch to eco mode and the extra regenerative braking was apparent but not overwhelming. On the way back I switched to Sport mode and managed to frighten myself by twisting the throttle. 140 lb/ft of torque available instantly is much more impressive in person than it sounds.

If I had the extra money, and space, then I'd definitely buy one. As it is I own a plug-in hybrid car and much prefer the electric mode over gas because of the smooth and silent power vs the relative noise and vibration that comes with the start of the engine.

AquilaTorre

Tuned and Synch'ed
I feel sorry for those of you who have such hatred for electric motorcycles that you've never even ridden one to have something to base your irrational hatred on.
I'm at a point where a single motorcycle has to do it all for me, so electric is really not in the cards for a variety of reasons.

Totally agree with you. Alas, this neophobia is as natural as gravity is to a spacecraft.

EV tech is still in its modern day infancy. Where battery tech is right now, of COURSE electric motorcycles are going be lagging behind. Of COURSE they're not going to have the same range. Of COURSE they're not going to have the same exhaust note. However, as described in the video, they excel at city commuting, insofar as blowing ICE vehicles out of the water. Smaller EVs are where the market is at right now for sure, as seen by the growth of electric pedal assist bicycles. It's similar to the beginnings of ICE two wheelers back in the 1890s and 1900s. Many arguments of the time are echoed here; not enough range, not worth the weight, overly expensive. EVs in general require quite a few personal and infrastructural investments, causing limited viability (based on the average range specs). I believe that as battery tech advances such as the up and coming sodium-ion solid state cells, and as charging infrastructure grows, EV motorcycles will begin to blossom.

All in all, I haven't had the opportunity to test ride an EV bike, but once the weather clears up here, I definitely take up a HD sales persons offer of taking a test ride on a LiveWire. I expect the ride to be exhilarating and the sound to be invigorating, like something out of TRON or a cyberpunk fantasy. It may not have the rumble of a V-Twin, but the videos of the LiveWire and the Canadian Damon Hypersport sound glorious to my ears. But hey, generational gaps are always going to be a thing.

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
Totally agree with you. Alas, this neophobia is as natural as gravity is to a spacecraft.

EV tech is still in its modern day infancy. Where battery tech is right now, of COURSE electric motorcycles are going be lagging behind. Of COURSE they're not going to have the same range. Of COURSE they're not going to have the same exhaust note. However, as described in the video, they excel at city commuting, insofar as blowing ICE vehicles out of the water. Smaller EVs are where the market is at right now for sure, as seen by the growth of electric pedal assist bicycles. It's similar to the beginnings of ICE two wheelers back in the 1890s and 1900s. Many arguments of the time are echoed here; not enough range, not worth the weight, overly expensive. EVs in general require quite a few personal and infrastructural investments, causing limited viability (based on the average range specs). I believe that as battery tech advances such as the up and coming sodium-ion solid state cells, and as charging infrastructure grows, EV motorcycles will begin to blossom.

All in all, I haven't had the opportunity to test ride an EV bike, but once the weather clears up here, I definitely take up a HD sales persons offer of taking a test ride on a LiveWire. I expect the ride to be exhilarating and the sound to be invigorating, like something out of TRON or a cyberpunk fantasy. It may not have the rumble of a V-Twin, but the videos of the LiveWire and the Canadian Damon Hypersport sound glorious to my ears. But hey, generational gaps are always going to be a thing.

When I first used the word "irrational" to describe myself, it was tongue in cheek, but you guys seem to take it literally. It's not irrational to dislike these things, not at all. It's a PREFERENCE.

DeadEye

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
It's similar to the beginnings of ICE two wheelers back in the 1890s and 1900s. Many arguments of the time are echoed here; not enough range, not worth the weight, overly expensive. EVs in general require quite a few personal and infrastructural investments, causing limited viability (based on the average range specs). I believe that as battery tech advances such as the up and coming sodium-ion solid state cells, and as charging infrastructure grows, EV motorcycles will begin to blossom.

Then they started racing them, and it all changed.
They are trying it with the E-Formula series.

But hey, generational gaps are always going to be a thing.

Now he’s calling us old farts :rofl: !

Moto-Uno

High Miler
Having worked at a Zero dealership for more than a few years , one problem repeatedly came up .
They had more problems than every other motorcycle we sold combined ! Their warranty coverage became so contentious that the dealer finally kissed them goodbye and she hasn't looked happier in years . Oh yeah , and the newer models that actually didn't look truly awful ( and crap were they butt ugly ) cost $24,000 Canadian bucks before tax , and they didn't get any provincial electric vehicle tax break . But hey , them's the facts ( other than my questionable styling critique ) . Peter

Robert_C

Just got it firing!
Seeing as people don't seem to get flamed for kicking old threads here, I will chime in. First, I liked FortNine's video.

That said, I commute on an electric bicycle and seriously considered getting an electric motorcycle. After all, I had an electric scooter when I lived in Asia. I was thinking about the Vespa Electric and came to the conclusion that there was nothing that I would do on it that I don't already do on my eBike.

So yes, the electric motorcycle thoughts/budget quickly turned into standard petrol power motorcycles again.

My eBike:
Priority-ebike.jpg

TennesseeSmith

Just got it firing!
In my world, the primary purpose of a motorcycle is transportation. When I can get an electric motorcycle with 300 miles of real-world range, I'll have one. I'm not trying to be seen or heard when I'm riding. I'm just trying to get somewhere while enjoying the ride. Less than 1 person in a million enjoys hearing another person's motorcycle ride through the neighborhood.

I like quiet and smooth. For me, the ride is about the ride, not the noise and vibration.

DeadEye

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
The range has to be sufficient for reasonable day trips - 200 - 300 km
and Way less than double the price.
That’s with You charging them at home - exclusively.

Once you try and add , ”Fill up’s” along your trip, It can’t work with every one going electric.
The 5 minute liquid fuel top up, turns into 30 - 60 minutes Minimum for electrics, totally impractical with more people than charging ports…

Just fire up more coal powered plants and have plugs hanging off the power lines…

Last edited: