• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Why so many for sale?

fatal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Today I had a look at an online selling site in the UK (Bike Trader) I was surprised to see so many Stelvios for sale (24) a few were new unregistered models but most seemed to be one owner low mileage 2008 models, with a sprinkling of 2009 bikes. I have only seen two other Stelvios on the road over here, I know it's not a popular model which is why I was surprised to see so many for sale.
Are buyers getting rid of them because they think of these bikes as unreliable? IMHO it can't be because the Stelvio is a bad ride, the handling, brakes and power are plenty good enough. I wonder how many have been sold so far in the UK.
Just food for thought while I ponder the heavy rain looking out of my study window. :S

To coin a phrase and not meant at or to you. "It's the economy stupid" :mrgreen:

US members will understand, I think :mrgreen:

Also a lot of people will be wanting to dump them because they don't trust the 8V motor after the initial screw-up with the tappets and the fact that few places seem to be able to perform the simple replacement without screwing it up. Then there is the problem that few seems to be willing to plug in the diagnostic and tuning tools for fear of screwing something up so half of them have probably never run right or had the latest map uploaded so the spit and fart and carry on like pork chops.

Personally though I can't for the life of me understand why anybody in the UK would want to buy the Polar Bear smuggling model over the Griso or 1200 Sport 8V? It's not like there are thousands of Km of dirt road to ride like there are in Oz and the US??

Pete

At certain times of the year there are suddenly floods of "one owner" bikes on to the market. Is this possibly dealers selling off last years demonstrators? I'd say go out, haggle and grab yourself a bargain........mind you I'm with Mr Roper on the pointlessness of a Stelvio in the UK when there's Grisos & Sports to be had!

Maybe you just miss the point of an "adventure" bike. I've had a GS, KTM 990 ADV,Vstrom and am picking up my 1st guzzi, a Stelvio this weekend. I ride some dirt, but mainly use them for touring bikes. They make excellent touring bikes - plenty of room to strap gear on, rugged, big alternator to run heated clothing, GPS, lights, etc, big and roomy, comfortable, fun in the curves, yet planted on the road. Fact of the matter is, for the exception of the KTM, they are not dirt bikes. They are touring bikes (IMHO). Kind of the "swiss army knife" of bikes, if you will. I don't think many people buy them for the dirt, that's not the point.

I love the Griso, but couldn't see buying one over a Stelvio. It's just to limiting, for what I do anyway.

pete roper said:
Personally though I can't for the life of me understand why anybody in the UK would want to buy the Polar Bear smuggling model over the Griso or 1200 Sport 8V? It's not like there are thousands of Km of dirt road to ride like there are in Oz and the US??

Ignoring dirt roads, (after all, it is a huge barge to do much of that), the Stelvio IMHO is a great two up machine. I suspect the Griso and 1200 Sport are less so.

And good for smuggling Polar Bears I guess. :woohoo:

Wayne Orwig said:
pete roper said:

Ignoring dirt roads, (after all, it is a huge barge to do much of that), the Stelvio IMHO is a great two up machine. I suspect the Griso and 1200 Sport are less so.

It is also great for a person who is 6'4" with bad knees.. the griso and sport require too tight a bend for my knees to ride for long. I have even raised the seat on the Stelvio a little. Besides even though it is a heavy bike for real dirt I find it handles dirt roads quite well.

Wayne Orwig said:
pete roper said:

Incidentally, although 'Da Man' is probably far to modest to spruik himself Mr. Orwig has just opened up as a self employed Guzzi wrench in sunny, down-town, Hog Mountain in Georgia. I'm lucky enough to have met Wayne and he's what you yanks call 'The Real Deal'. If he cain't fix it it prolly ain't worth fixin.

Looks like Georgia is going to get to be one of the better states in which to own a Guzzi. With Steve in Atlanta and Wayne not far away it's gotta be all good....

Pete

Pete

pete roper said:
Also a lot of people will be wanting to dump them because they don't trust the 8V motor after the initial screw-up with the tappets and the fact that few places seem to be able to perform the simple replacement without screwing it up. Then there is the problem that few seems to be willing to plug in the diagnostic and tuning tools for fear of screwing something up so half of them have probably never run right or had the latest map uploaded so the spit and fart and carry on like pork chops.

Pete

Thinking about it again, I agree with your first paragraph Pete. In the UK decent Guzzi dealers are thin on the ground. I have two shops selling new Moto Guzzis within 10 miles of home (part of the same business group) and I find their aftersales service very poor, I've heard that although they have the Axione dianostics they will not buy a lap top to run it with, if that is true it wouldn't surprise me. I'd have to travel 50 miles to Yorkshire to find a Moto Guzzi dealer with a half decent reputation.

I bought the Stelvio mainly for it's riding position, it replaced a 2002 BMW R1150GS. These kind of bikes make great touring machines, I've never been keen on bikes with full fairings, and due to old hand and wrist injuries I prefer bikes with highish handlebars. As for dirt riding, yes youre right, in the UK it's quite limited, and lots of the tracks have loose rocks and very muddy, not the ideal terrain for a bike like a Stelvio or GS, although I have ventured out on my BMW R100gs a couple of times, I used to have a Yamaha XT225 Serrow for trail riding, that was ideal but not too great if you wanted to do big distances and carry luggage. You guys who live in Australia and USA are lucky to have so much open space to ride in, the UK is such a little island when you think about it. :(

Even though my Stelvio is still ensconsed in the dealers having its camshafts and followers replaced I still intend to keep it. I find the riding position, power delivery and handling of this kind of bike ideal for the types of roads I like to ride i.e. scratty single track B-roads especially in the West of Scotland (even though it's 400 miles away from home).

Both my Stelvio and my Elefant revel in this kind of going and dont spit you down the road when you hit a bit of cow-poo or loose gravel. I will probably never take the Stelvio off-road but the Fant certainly does a bit when I can find some.

Each to their own!!

cheers

Ackers

I've been riding for 40 years, owned 20 + bikes and ridden many more. Crotch rockets, tourers, what you like. I've done a wheelie or several, got my knee down and taken off over the Cadwell Mountain. But I've never owned a bike I love more than my Stelvio. It defies sense and logic, it's flaky and flawed but it's got the most beautiful engine in all motorcycling and those 34-DD headlights. It thuds along if you like, but flies like it shouldn't if you want to. And it's red. And it isn't a BMW GS. Nuff said.

notasweetman said:
I've been riding for 40 years, owned 20 + bikes and ridden many more. Crotch rockets, tourers, what you like. I've done a wheelie or several, got my knee down and taken off over the Cadwell Mountain. But I've never owned a bike I love more than my Stelvio. It defies sense and logic, it's flaky and flawed but it's got the most beautiful engine in all motorcycling and those 34-DD headlights. It thuds along if you like, but flies like it shouldn't if you want to. And it's red. And it isn't a BMW GS. Nuff said.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Love my Stelvio! :D

Bruce

Back