• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Why the Stelvio?

Poppe

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I currently have a V7 and love it. I hope to have it as a lifer or as long as I can. Eventually I want to get an adventure / tour bike.

I think the Stelvio a lot, but I also feel like I don't quite understand it - this seems to be a common thing with Guzzi's ha as even explaining the V7 can be a bit tricky. I've always loved the GS1200 which I know is controversial to many, but I am what I am. Now that I've gone to Guzzi's though, I've really fallen in love with the design and feel of Guzzi's. So what i'm asking is not necessarily a comparison of the Stelvio to other bikes, but just to get an idea on why some went Stelvio.

Thanks,

Because after wrecking two Multistrada 1200's I thought maybe a different adv/tour 1200 this time around. And simplicity instead of complexity. And no chain maintenance.

To be different. Ease of maintenance. Enough power for two-up. Comfortable. Fun.

Roughly in that order.

Because after wrecking two Multistrada 1200's I thought maybe a different adv/tour 1200 this time around. And simplicity instead of complexity. And no chain maintenance.

Ha. That makes sense. How are you liking it then coming from the Multistrada?

Style... Comfort... Different, stands out...on level with a GS...well made...handles.. Great sound...

I imagine the sound is dreamy. Does it really handle well? Many reviews, which are now old, seem to always rag on the Stelvio, but Guzzi's always seem to struggle in reviews as if the reviewer doesn't understand them.

To be different. Ease of maintenance. Enough power for two-up. Comfortable. Fun.

Roughly in that order.

Nice. That's good.

Ha. That makes sense. How are you liking it then coming from the Multistrada?

I like it a lot. It is heavier to move around in the garage than either Strada was, and heavier in slow maneuvering but at speed it feels about same. It is actually easier to set off from stop lights as the Stelvio's 1st gear is taller and I'm not shifting as soon. That is probably the single most thing I've been adjusting to is the much taller gear ratio of 1st gear vs the multistrada. I still find myself trying to downshift past 1st gear on occasion. On the slow down and downshift coming up to a stop, 1st gear feels similar to the multi's 2nd in the same deceleration situation.

just to get an idea on why some went Stelvio.
I own two still, an ‘09 & ‘13. I call them my two-wheeled Land Rover. Tons of storage space, super comfortable in ergos and ride. My only gripe with the ‘09 was fuel tank size (4-ish gallons), which they resolved in ‘12 (8+ gallons), and I lucked out by waiting one year for the roller rocker cams on the ‘13+ models.
In short, I love it... I tell everyone who asks, it’s the best Guzzi they’ve built to date. Can’t imagine not owning one unless they release a newer more modern lighter version. The new 850 Adventure is not an option for replacement for me.

I own two still, an ‘09 & ‘13. I call them my two-wheeled Land Rover. Tons of storage space, super comfortable in ergos and ride. My only gripe with the ‘09 was fuel tank size (4-ish gallons), which they resolved in ‘12 (8+ gallons), and I lucked out by waiting one year for the roller rocker cams on the ‘13+ models.
In short, I love it... I tell everyone who asks, it’s the best Guzzi they’ve built to date. Can’t imagine not owning one unless they release a newer more modern lighter version. The new 850 Adventure is not an option for replacement for me.

Oh interesting way to phrase it being a land rover but that makes the picture very clear. Do you like it's adventure quality or do you find it to be pretty limited, realizing that the rider can make the biggest difference.

It is actually easier to set off from stop lights as the Stelvio's 1st gear is taller and I'm not shifting as soon. That is probably the single most thing I've been adjusting to is the much taller gear ratio of 1st gear vs the multistrada. I still find myself trying to downshift past 1st gear on occasion. On the slow down and downshift coming up to a stop, 1st gear feels similar to the multi's 2nd in the same deceleration situation.
One of the first things I noticed when my Stelvio was new, was my abliity to get a speeding ticket on all the roads near my house (except the Interstate) while never leaving 1st gear (or over-stressing the engine).

One of the first things I noticed when my Stelvio was new, was my abliity to get a speeding ticket on all the roads near my house (except the Interstate) while never leaving 1st gear (or over-stressing the engine).

That sounds dreamy and much like a Land Rover when thinking of Todd's analogy.

Do you like it's adventure quality or do you find it to be pretty limited, realizing that the rider can make the biggest difference.
It is the most boundless bike I have owned. Ride to and around off-road in Death Valley, or toy with the "Sportbike" dudes in the canyons... all in comfort with 8+ gallons of fuel. Maybe a Land Rover is no longer valid, perhaps this Italia beauty is a better reference now... ;)

AlfaStelvio

It is the most boundless bike I have owned. Ride to and in/around Death Valley, or toy with the "Sportbike" dudes in the canyons... all in comfort with 8+ gallons of fuel. Maybe a Land Rover is no longer valid, perhaps this Italia beauty is a better reference now... ;)

View attachment 13833

Ha! "Boundless" that makes me want the bike so bad. Land Rovers supposedly still pretty capable even if they are land yachts, but no one would ever have to convince me on an Alfa Romeo. Haha.

Before getting mine, I test-rode, in adventure class, BMW (850 and 1200), KTM (1190 and 1290), Ducati, and Honda.

After all that, I got the Stelvio without a test ride...

It is a Guzzi, has a transverse V-twin, an 8+ gallon tank, shaft drive, and built like a tractor–a gorgeous Italian-made tractor.

Before getting mine, I test-rode, in adventure class, BMW (850 and 1200), KTM (1190 and 1290), Ducati, and Honda.

After all that, I got the Stelvio without a test ride...

It is a Guzzi, has a transverse V-twin, an 8+ gallon tank, shaft drive, and built like a tractor–a gorgeous Italian-made tractor.

Since I posted this question I've really come to fall in love with the bike. I can't wait to one day test drive one.

Nevermind, Griso and Stevio on there today, but Norge missing? Yesterday none of the CARC's were shown. Hmm....

Back