• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wiring from Scratch

SDA

Just got it firing!
GT di Razza Pura
GT Contributor
I’m wiring my T3 project bike from scratch and my wire size calculations are wildly off of what I see posted here. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction as I fear I’m missing something.

My maximum allowable voltage drops for lighting circuits of 0.2v and starter circuit of 0.8v come from Tracy Martin’s book “Motorcycle Electrical Systems”

For instance:
4’ long low beam circuit-55w/3.9A@13.8v=20gauge for a 0.17v/1.2% voltage drop
2’ long ignition circuit-95w/7.2A@13.8v=20gauge for a0.15v/1.1% voltage drop
But the lulu is the starter circuit-remember the 4x allowable voltage drop of 0.8v
2’ long starter circuit-1200W/87A@13.8V=16gauge for a 0.71v/5.2% voltage drop!
Even if I want to keep the voltage drop below 0.2v like the lighting circuits it still only requires #10 wire!

I checked the above ignition circuit by wiring up a couple of ignition coils and the voltage drop was spot-on per the calculations.

I know I’m geeking out here but if I’m going to do this I might as well make it as light and small as possible.

I’ve attached my ohm calculator spreadsheet hoping that someone can either validate this or show me where I’m fixin’ to screw up.

Attachments

• Moto-12v Ohm Calculator.xls
    32.5 KB · Views: 24
Very interesting. I'd have to dig out my old text books from airframe and powerplant school to check your numbers. I haven't had to calculate wire sizes in years. Off the top, it looks OK. Are you going at absolute minimum requirements or have you built in a safety factor like 20%, for example? You'd be better off carrying a little extra weight than too few watts! Or overheating a circuit.

Just asking

What's with all the blank worksheets in the Excel file?

Jim

Hi SDA

You're way over thinking it IMHO. The more detail you go into the worse its going to get and you'll be chasing a moving target. If you must do that then just conduct some ad Hoc experiments and base your ratings on them. Volts drop will vary with heat, conductor length, CSA etc so the more amps you carry the higher the resistivity is going to get and that's before you start on factoring in switches, connectors etc: it will become an exercise in futility.

I redid mine with Thinwall cable and made up a custom loom, no smoke so far

All I did was look at load ratings for the cables and generally used 1/2 of the max cable rating for the current it would be required to carry. Most is 0.5mm^2 for the small stuff and 2.0mm^2 for the heavier loads and 3.0mm^2 for some of the charging circuit and main feeds. Thinwall has a far higher current carrying capacity than normal PVC cable and is what's used nowadays in vehicles.

For the starter I used 16mm^2 extra flexible and got the cables made up for me.

I agree with Jim build in a good factor of safety and if in doubt go up a size.

Just what I did

John

Thanks Jim & John for your responses,

Adding a 20% wattage hedge factor keeps me at the same wire size on ½ of the circuits and requires an up-sizing in the other half.

I think the starter circuit is an exception as it is of value to spin the engine as fast as possible so certainly #10 there to reduce voltage drop from 0.71v down to 0.18v. Upsizing from #10 to #4 to reduce drop down to 0.04v is something I’ll try but can’t imagine 14 hundredths of a volt making any difference. But I’ve also gotta try the #16—after using big, thick cables for 40 years and just “knowing” that that was required, reading an acceptable voltage drop on a #16 while turning over an 850 V-twin would just be weird!

Jim, I don’t know what’s with excel opening all those sheets. I’m just using the 1st one.

John I do like your thinking but I’m not trying to get it exactly right for the sake of it being right, I’m just interested in how this all works in actual practice. Like I said, I’m just geeking out. Thanks for reminding me about heat. I’ll heat up an experimental circuit and compare resistivity and voltage drop and add that to my hedge factor—or are there published resistance figures at varying temperatures?

I’m could go on and on but am going to stop before you all write me off as a complete loss!

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

It's fun to geek-out sometimes just for the heck of it. I like the spread sheet. I pulled down a copy and saved it for future use. John has a good point about heat. That will add resistance as the temperature rises. My background is aircraft. Weight is an important consideration on them too. The common practice there is to have open wiring runs. Are you familiar with that? The bundle is not in a conduit or sleeve or jacket. It is tied together every few inches. This is to reduce weight and to keep the wiring cooler, allowing use of a smaller gauge wire.

You may well choose to protect your bundle with a jacket or flex conduit. If so you may want to favor a thicker wire, particularly on circuits that will remain on, like lights. They will get warmer over time.

Now I am geeking - out too!

Back