• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wiring up top box lights?

Bluntly

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just a question from the site electrical numpty :roll:

What's the best way to wire stop and tail lights that are on the new top box I'm getting (Givi Maxia 55)

I installed a GIVI E52 with brake lights and just tapped into the wires behind the tail light. I should have known better than to purchase GIVI's light kit / button arrangement though. This is the 2nd box I have purchased with intermittent problems with the button making contact, GIVI's fix is to send you another defective button connector.

I purchased a new light kit from Twisted Throttle that has running lights, turn signals and brake light for the E52. Again I did the wiring to the bike right behind the tal light. Twisted Throttles wiring connector is much, much better and should never have connection issues.

I wired an LED brake light license plate frame to the wires behind the brakelight. Easy.

As long as the load is light like LEDs, that is fine. I believe I would add a relay if it was a bunch on incandescent lights though.

Many Thanks,
I'm waiting for delivery of the topboxin the next couple of days, after the way my horn was wired I want to be able to tell the techie the right way on the first visit, not have to go back.

Bluntly said:
Many Thanks,
I'm waiting for delivery of the topboxin the next couple of days, after the way my horn was wired I want to be able to tell the techie the right way on the first visit, not have to go back.

Bluntly......

Just tell the techie that you want the wiring connections made on the bike side of the wiring harness and not the LED tail light side of the wiring harness. Otherwise is the LED light goes bad and you need to replace it then you would have to disconnect the wiring to the top box to replace the tail light.

I assume the techie knows how to read a wiring diagram :S

kwn306 said:
Just tell the techie that you want the wiring connections made on the bike side of the wiring harness and not the LED tail light side of the wiring harness. Otherwise is the LED light goes bad and you need to replace it then you would have to disconnect the wiring to the top box to replace the tail light.

I assume the techie knows how to read a wiring diagram :S

Big Thanks :mrgreen:
Thats the sort of thing I wanted to be able to tell him!

Note to self: LEARN about vehicle electrics! :S

Brian UK said:
Certanly, provided the Givi light is LED, then there will be no problem tapping into the wires to the existing brake and tail lights.

I believe the Givi lights are incandescent.

draidt said:
I believe the Givi lights are incandescent.
The Givi brake light kit for the E55 is LED.

I just bought the same setup, and am in the process of installing. I noticed there is an open wire connector near the power outlet under the rear seat. It's part of the same wire harness that goes to the tail light. It's got two wires, a light blue and a black (or very dark blue...can't tell for sure). Does anyone know what that is for? Wouldn't it be perfect if it was for an aux tail and/or brake light?

Looking at the posted Stelvio wiring diagram, it appears it could be for a "helmet compartment switch". What the heck is a helmet compartment, and why does it need a switch? I'll need to look closer at the wire colors, as the diagram shows the wires as blue and black/white.

Well.....here's how it ended up.

That connector with the blue and dark blue wires has no voltage while the bike was on. So I couldn't use it as I had hoped.

Instead, I found the brake light wire behind the rear tail light assembly. The brake light wire is green/yellow, the tail light is grey/yellow, and the ground is blue. I tapped the Givi black wire from the topcase into the green/yellow and tapped the blue ground from the top case into the blue ground for the brake light.

It's all working great. On the E55 light kit, there's about 6 or 7 red LEDs on either side of the GIVI logo. They're in that silver eye looking part of each side reflector. The do a fine job. I'm a happy camper. Between the E55 and the E41 Keyless side cases, I've got room for dang near anything I need to carry. Especially a few RotoPax aux fuel tanks if I decide to take a trip sometime.

Back