• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wondering about occasional two up travel with V85TT

cyclezen

Just got it firing!
I'm a prospective (soon) owner of a V85TT. I searched the forum, but was wondering if anyone has any opinions about two up travel on that machine? Specifically, how cramped do you feel for space with a passenger?

To give a little background, I'm coming at this from a medium size perspective (both riders and bike). No long distance touring or luggage, just shorter day and overnight trips, and only a dozen or so times a year. I have zero interest in anything like a BMW R1200GS (or anything in their line up at the moment), and the V85TT would be a step up from an '07 F650GS. The F650GS is just too cramped for two up riding after an hour or so.

The V85TT is hands down ticking all the right boxes for my move away from blue and white roundel, but I just wondered if it was roomy enough to be an improvement when riding two up.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It handles my 240# plus three bags full just fine.
Thanks. I think I'd be absolutely OK with any conceivable weight load. I was wondering about physical room mostly.

When riding two up, the driver may have to move forward to make room back there. That's what I've been having to do on my F650GS. That's uncomfortable at best, and unsafe when extra balance and control is required.

The little bump on the seat kind of dictates where the driver sits so the passenger has all of the room behind it. Although I don’t have someone to share the ride with, I used to frequently slide back onto the passenger section of the seat on the F650 Dakar I had previously. I never really felt comfortable on the Dakar for long distances, but am very comfortable on the front section of the V85TT seat. Also, the V-twin is smoother than the big single so the mirrors are useable at highway speed.

The little bump on the seat kind of dictates where the driver sits so the passenger has all of the room behind it. Although I don’t have someone to share the ride with, I used to frequently slide back onto the passenger section of the seat on the F650 Dakar I had previously. I never really felt comfortable on the Dakar for long distances, but am very comfortable on the front section of the V85TT seat. Also, the V-twin is smoother than the big single so the mirrors are useable at highway speed.
I know what you mean about sliding back on the F650. Sometimes the heart knows what it wants, and I'll probably dive in and just deal with whatever the V85TT offers up for occasional two up riding.

Since Corbin doesn't seem to support MG for their saddles, I suppose in the worst case I could have a custom seat made on top of the OEM seat pan. The V85TT does appear to be more "passenger roomy" than the F650 for sure.

You won’t regret moving from the F650 to the V85TT as long as you understand there are fewer MG dealers. Another benefit is several V85TT models come with either 2-piece or 3-piece luggage sets (removable). The 3-piece aluminum set that came with mine is great. Here are some photos—my nephew has the F650 now.

Attachments

• 43E53FA8-0F95-452B-B9B9-487E63A01E38.jpeg
    43E53FA8-0F95-452B-B9B9-487E63A01E38.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 18405BCB-7D4A-413E-8644-CB1E54BA5269.jpeg
    18405BCB-7D4A-413E-8644-CB1E54BA5269.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 80AF6905-6C15-46D2-97B4-5E7E7AAEC9A3.jpeg
    80AF6905-6C15-46D2-97B4-5E7E7AAEC9A3.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I'm a bigger guy, about 6'3" and around 250lbs, the wife is about 5'5" and a bit less than half the weight. I picked up my V85 on June 30th of 2022 and I have put just over 8000 miles on it since, most of them with the missus on the back. She tells me it's the most comfortable back seat she's ever had (if you get the aluminum luggage put a backrest on the top box, she loves it), plenty of room, more than good enough cushioning, and she can see over my shoulder rather than staring at my back for the entire ride, lol! Now she can make it just as long as I can without needing to get off and stretch, my knees usually tell me to take a break every couple hours anyway, but that has more to due with old injuries than being cramped on the bike I think. Other than her holding onto me or the occasional slide around I can hardly tell she's there, even fully loaded with all the luggage and camping gear for the two of us on a week long holiday the bike never felt taxed or cramped, I couldn't ask for a better middle weight touring / adventure machine. I really doubt you will be disappointed, my only complaint is the difficulty I have found in finding the perfect wind screen, lol.

I'm a bigger guy, about 6'3" and around 250lbs, the wife is about 5'5" and a bit less than half the weight. I picked up my V85 on June 30th of 2022 and I have put just over 8000 miles on it since, most of them with the missus on the back. She tells me it's the most comfortable back seat she's ever had (if you get the aluminum luggage put a backrest on the top box, she loves it), plenty of room, more than good enough cushioning, and she can see over my shoulder rather than staring at my back for the entire ride, lol! Now she can make it just as long as I can without needing to get off and stretch, my knees usually tell me to take a break every couple hours anyway, but that has more to due with old injuries than being cramped on the bike I think. Other than her holding onto me or the occasional slide around I can hardly tell she's there, even fully loaded with all the luggage and camping gear for the two of us on a week long holiday the bike never felt taxed or cramped, I couldn't ask for a better middle weight touring / adventure machine. I really doubt you will be disappointed, my only complaint is the difficulty I have found in finding the perfect wind screen, lol.
Hey, thanks! I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and opinions. My wife and I take a minimalist approach to travel (i.e. cargo van instead of a motorhome), and have been taking shorter trips on the F650GS. But after less than an hour I am experiencing major back pain from hunching over the "tank". The available front to rear space is just too short.

Not expecting perfection in any way, but I think it's definitely going to fit better. To be honest I cannot get the V85TT off my mind, but I just didn't want to oversell the superior two up comfort in my list of "justifications". 🤥

Hey, thanks! I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and opinions. My wife and I take a minimalist approach to travel (i.e. cargo van instead of a motorhome), and have been taking shorter trips on the F650GS. But after less than an hour I am experiencing major back pain from hunching over the "tank". The available front to rear space is just too short.

Not expecting perfection in any way, but I think it's definitely going to fit better. To be honest I cannot get the V85TT off my mind, but I just didn't want to oversell the superior two up comfort in my list of "justifications". 🤥
I have had a lot of bikes, and honestly the only ones that come to mind that may have been more comfortable 2 up are the Gold Wing or the Road King we had years ago. Fantastic machines to eat the interstate up on, not so much fun at a camp ground or commuting though. Even with my large frame up front and her on the back I have enough room to get comfortable and change positions while riding, though the bump stop does take a couple inches from the rider. It is easy enough to remove, I have not found the need to myself. Everyone is different, and my Goldilocks bike might be your Kryptonite (lol), but for a Jack of all trades the V85 does everything wonderfully for us. A big part of getting the V85 was my wife wanted to do more long distance stuff with me and I didn't want another full on touring bike (just too big and heavy, I prefer something a bit lighter and more tossable). We went everywhere and test rode everything we could find that would let us go 2 up (some places would not let us) and she said the V85 was the most comfortable, and I liked it best anyway!

Life is short my friend, buy the bike, take the wife for a ride, and even if somehow you both hate it (very unlikely in my opinion) you certainly won't be out much on the resale market, they seem to keep their value very well so far. Motorcycles are an experience, and I hope to experience as many as I can in my short time here.

I have had a lot of bikes, and honestly the only ones that come to mind that may have been more comfortable 2 up are the Gold Wing or the Road King we had years ago. Fantastic machines to eat the interstate up on, not so much fun at a camp ground or commuting though. Even with my large frame up front and her on the back I have enough room to get comfortable and change positions while riding, though the bump stop does take a couple inches from the rider. It is easy enough to remove, I have not found the need to myself. Everyone is different, and my Goldilocks bike might be your Kryptonite (lol), but for a Jack of all trades the V85 does everything wonderfully for us. A big part of getting the V85 was my wife wanted to do more long distance stuff with me and I didn't want another full on touring bike (just too big and heavy, I prefer something a bit lighter and more tossable). We went everywhere and test rode everything we could find that would let us go 2 up (some places would not let us) and she said the V85 was the most comfortable, and I liked it best anyway!

Life is short my friend, buy the bike, take the wife for a ride, and even if somehow you both hate it (very unlikely in my opinion) you certainly won't be out much on the resale market, they seem to keep their value very well so far. Motorcycles are an experience, and I hope to experience as many as I can in my short time here.
Absolutely cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond. You are right on...life is short! Just need to decide between the different editions, but one is already bubbling to the top.

Absolutely cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond. You are right on...life is short! Just need to decide between the different editions, but one is already bubbling to the top.
You are more than welcome, I'm always happy to talk about motorcycles, especially when it's one of my most favorite ones to date! I personally think the Guardia d'Onore is the best one, but that may because it's the one I fell in love with and purchased, lol. If you can still order one they come with all the options except heated grips I believe, and if you ask your dealer really nice they might cut you a break on said grips. If you have any other questions about the V85 2 up or anything else just ask!
That’s what Guzzi’s are known for..
Bubbling to the top... 👍😜
I can’t be without..
I agree whole heartedly, I don't think I'll ever go without a Guzzi again, there are many reasons that the V85 won out over the many competitors in it's field, some being the better bike on paper even, but they just didn't have the soul.
Two nuts and the seat bump is removed. Put a sit & fly cover on it and ride!
Haven't removed my bump yet, but I love my sit & fly! Highly recommended, especially for those of larger stature.

Back