• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Won't start, clacking/ratching sound

tgarlick

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all, I last rode my bike about two weeks ago, with no problems, but when I went to start it yesterday morning, it wouldn't start. The lights came on and it tried to turn over, but it made a clacking or ratcheting sound and wouldn't start. The battery is only about a year old and like I said, it started fine a couple weeks ago, so I don't think that's the problem. Any idea what it might be?

Thanks,

-Tim.

Check your battery and connections, especially the handle-bar switch and the solenoid. If its an older bike, you likely have dirty connectors in the switch. They are crappy anyway. You are better off wiring in a relay to handle the starter.

tgarlick said:
Hi all, I last rode my bike about two weeks ago, with no problems, but when I went to start it yesterday morning, it wouldn't start. The lights came on and it tried to turn over, but it made a clacking or ratcheting sound and wouldn't start. The battery is only about a year old and like I said, it started fine a couple weeks ago, so I don't think that's the problem. Any idea what it might be?

Thanks,

-Tim.

Classic low battery. Can't keep the starter solenoid engaged. Charge the battery, also check all you battery and ground connections wouldn't hurt. The battery may not have received an adequate charge the last time you had her out.

Classic signs of a flat battery. The ratcheting noise is caused by the sollenoid throwing in but as soon as it makes contact the starter draw's current and the voltage drops to a point where the solenoid can't remain pulled in so it springs open. when that happens the voltage shoots up again so the solenoid pulls back in but then the contacts close again, the voltage drops... etc, etc. etc. Cahrge the battery and load test it. If its OK then find out where the current draw is coming from when the ignition is off. If your bike has a clock that may do it over a period of weeks.

Pete

Agree most likely a battery issue. As others have said, must be checked under load, just reading voltage at rest not good enough. Also check the battery leads, esp the ground at BOTH ends. Also seems to me could possibly be a solenoid issue, but much less likely. Very common for a battery to seem just fine one day, then behave as you describe the next. Could be sitting too long/ridden too little, or shorted out internally.

tim,
two weeks is enough, standard lead/acid batteries can discharge 1.5-2.5% per day. My 02 Cal would go flat if left sitting. I removed the charcoal cannister which allowed a big AGM battery and now it sits for months without going flat. I used an Odyssey, but check out Motobatt.com for cheap AGM batteries or try one of Todd's. AGM's discharge slower, so sitting longer does not mess em up. also, if you have not removed your charcoal canninster, do it and make room for a bigger battery and your tool kit. I can give you the part number for the motobatt that fits that is larger than the stocker

Tim, it just needs charged. Don't fret.

Thanks all, I need to go back to my old place (have some stuff in storage there) and dig out the battery charger. The solenoid sound was what threw me off.

Jon, I don't even know where the "charcoal canister" is or what it does or how to remove it, and I lost my toolkit a couple years ago somehow...

-Tim.

guzzi jon said:
tim,
two weeks is enough, standard lead/acid batteries can discharge 1.5-2.5% per day. My 02 Cal would go flat if left sitting.

Hmmm, the Interstate SP-30R lead acid batterys I have been using since forever in my T3 & 1000S have been able to sit way longer than that without having any trouble starting those bikes...

Bob,
Your "classic" bikes probably dont put a minimal draw on the electrical system, the new ones may, however, the 1.5-2.5% loss per day is well documented for lead acid batteries, perhaps your older, low compression lower cc bikes dont need as much crancking amps as modern bikes.... what about your norge, guess it has an AGM.... :D

Back