• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wont Start...

Electrical gremlins are the worse ones to find but starting with the last change you made is a good start.

Perhaps it is not the spliced connection and the wire itself to the top box. I think the Givi's use a contact type disc to transfer power to the tail bag vs a plug in type. Make sure it is not shorting out there or they pinched a wire to the box. The tail lights are on that fuse so it is a good place to start.

Well I may have fixed, or at least isolated the problem to the GIVI brake lights. You are right they are a sprung contact system, rather than a plug. I had a previous problem with those, that the vibey Stelvio caused the original sprung connections to wear so much they stopped working (people told me prior that they were 'flashing') . I replaced the contacts only about 4 months ago, and they are working OK - but maybe the vibrations are causing intermittent connection and somehow blowing the fuse. I would not have thought so, as the draw from LEDs is so low. I've had them disconnected today, and over about 2 x 35km commute trips, didnt have any problem at all. I'll reconnect them tomorrow and see if the problem reoccurs. The wiring for these, otherwise seems to be fine.

Attached photos of the previous set of contacts showing the wear encountered. These are supposed to be shiny chrome sprung pins and plates - the sprung pins are in the recessed part of the connector. (some slight wear on current connectors, but nothing like this, and these pretty much worked up to this point of wear over 2 years)

Capture1 Capture2

Sounds like a good place to start. The draw is low on the led once they are lit, but there is always a larger very short duration inrush current to the led driver when they start up. The duration is short so the fuse does not trip. If you quickly turn them on and off there may be enough constant inrush to blow the fuse. There is a lot on that fuse already so would not take much increased current to blow it. Constant inrush current would certainly do it.

Further to this issue:
My 2012 NTX stalled on me while taking off (it had started from cold perfectly fine and travelled about 300 metres), then when I tried to restart it I just got the ominous click from the relay. The dash lights up and seems to function fine, although all my settings were reset to default. I have checked all the fuses (yes, even the "hidden" ones, none blown) and ensured the battery was OK (Motobatt battery, Motobatt charger says it's OK). I have checked all the connections to the relays and the starter (all appear OK). Where do I go next? Could it be a dodgy relay? If so, how do I test them?

Further to this issue:
My 2012 NTX stalled on me while taking off (it had started from cold perfectly fine and travelled about 300 metres), then when I tried to restart it I just got the ominous click from the relay. The dash lights up and seems to function fine, although all my settings were reset to default. I have checked all the fuses (yes, even the "hidden" ones, none blown) and ensured the battery was OK (Motobatt battery, Motobatt charger says it's OK). I have checked all the connections to the relays and the starter (all appear OK). Where do I go next? Could it be a dodgy relay? If so, how do I test them?

I've had the exact symptom you describe. It actually turned out to be a poor connection between the battery and the main motorcycle positive and negative cables.

I removed the cables from the battery, scrubbed them well with a wire brush, then scrubbed the battery posts very well with the wire brush, and for good measure, wire brushed the post screws as well. Every surface was throughly clean.

After careful and tight reassembly, I smeared the posts and connectors with petroleum jelly to prevent oxidation. No problem since.

FWIW - I am still running the factory 2012 battery which has lived its whole life on a battery tender. 5 years and still going strong.

Awesome! Glad to hear you found it.

I was taken aback at how everything on my bike seemed to be receiving current from the battery, dash worked, lights worked, but in actuality, it really wasn't enough at all, (hence that relay clicking sound instead of starting) yet the batter was showing a full charge! It was only when I cleaned and re-tightened those main wire connections, did my problems disappear. On my next maintenance rotation, I will clean and tighten the starter ones.

Thanks for the solution!

Back