• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Worried about low mileage Audace?

Blackout

Just got it firing!
Found a 2016 Audace that I might buy. I've always liked them and I nearly picked one up 3 years ago, but went with a V-Rod instead.

The one I found only has about 2000 miles on it, which has me worried. This basically means the bike has been sitting almost it's entire 7 year life - maybe mostly on dealer lots. Should I be worried about motor and transmission longevity with such little miles and runtime on it?

Whats there to worry about? If its a dealer it would be under cover at night and out of the elements, Are you from Western Australia, if so no snow or salt on the roads, if the price is right and it starts and runs fine you got your self a virtually brand new bike, not even run in.

Blackout…..if you want it and can afford it….buy it.
I bought a 2017 California last year with 2350 miles on it….the owner had 5 other Guzzi’s
The Eldorado and especially the Audace take their fair bit of loving and hating….a bit like your Vegemite
Sitting in a dealer for that time is not unusual…..over here I watched an Audace for 14 months move from dealer to dealer …it had 850 miles on it. When I went to look at it …it had sold!
Look at the forum….see the differences in the manufacturing years and the changes…..look at what folk have done and have no fear that it’s been on a dealers floor……better than sitting in a draughty barn next to a Shetland pony with a cold.

As far as I can vouch….no issues with the 1400 engine other than a couple of recalls and the tendency for over filling the oil by some owners and workshops…….this results in oil in the airbox or under the bike!
if you buy it……you will be searching fuelling mods, suspension changes and exhausts….but you’ll have a hell of a bike.

Good luck on your decisions

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited:
Found a 2016 Audace that I might buy. I've always liked them and I nearly picked one up 3 years ago, but went with a V-Rod instead.

The one I found only has about 2000 miles on it, which has me worried. This basically means the bike has been sitting almost it's entire 7 year life - maybe mostly on dealer lots. Should I be worried about motor and transmission longevity with such little miles and runtime on it?
If you are in Western Oz, you have Thunderbikes in Perth, Mario the owner is the accepted Guzzi guru in Oz, if you buy it take it to him to check it out. They are solid bikes there is no reason there should be a problem with it.

Guys...I'm pretty sure he's from WA. Washington State here in the USA.

I would not be overly worried. The one weak link in the motorcycle is the rear main seal on the crankshaft going towards the clutch. When they sit for extended years and years and if they are not started periodically, the seal can dry out and get brittle. Then, when you start riding the motorcycle, it can begin to leak oil onto the clutch assembly.

I would be fairly positive that this bike has been periodically started and run, especially if it has been in the hands of a dealer. Also, it will have been stored inside in a fairly constant temperature environment.

I personally, would not be concerned. I bought a 2007 Norge just last October, with 4,950 original miles. That averages 330 miles per year. The motorcycle you are contemplating, is almost exactly the same.

If it's a great looking motorcycle and the price is right, GO FOR IT! You'll be fine! :)

Thanks for the follow-up everyone. And Scott, I really appreciate the specifics on the rear main. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I've personally seen a couple other bikes have various seal issues if they don't get ridden or ran for a few years, including the fork seal on my last bike.

The interesting part about this Audace is that it's at a car dealer, not a bike dealer. And I did some digging through old sales records and apparently it's been passed across 4 different car dealers over the last 2 years who haven't been able to sell it. This tells me it may not have even been started or ran much at all in the last 2 years, and very well could have sat around outside.

Ah...the plot thickens. Unless you get a fabulous price which will ease the sting of unexpected repairs or issues, I would be cautious as you are as well. I am hesitant to buy a motorcycle from a car dealer for obvious reasons, and especially on something as unique as an Italian Moto Guzzi motorcycle.

The interesting part about this Audace is that it's at a car dealer, not a bike dealer. And I did some digging through old sales records and apparently it's been passed across 4 different car dealers over the last 2 years who haven't been able to sell it. This tells me it may not have even been started or ran much at all in the last 2 years, and very well could have sat around outside.

huh, I can imagine each dealership thinking how they were going to make a Tidy sum from this easy flip, and ending up with a boat anchor !

My Breva had sat in the back of someones garage for a couple of years a couple of owners before me. Having the injectors cleaned was an important part of the puzzle to turn it into a great runner. There was nothing unusual about the injectors, so a local diesel injection shop did the job. Looks like this bike could be a candidate for a lowball/hardball offer....

8 years 6000 miles (10,000) most of that early on and sat for the last 3 years. No issues runs like new as you would expect.

Attachments

• IMG_8225 (4).JPG
    IMG_8225 (4).JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 3
They're out of production at this point. With only 2000 miles it isn't as likely that much tinkering has been done on it (such as errant fuel maps, bodged exhaust, etc.). With these bikes being air/oil cooled, you don't have to worry about corrosion in the blocks and such. A full fluid change should be enough to revive it fully. A lot of California derivatives sat with the original dealer for a year or two before selling. Optimum in Kirkland can service it. Keep in mind that most OEM accessories are now no longer available or in very short supply.

I got my 2016 Audace new from a dealer in 2020. Apparently it was new (old stock) that they still had in Italy. At least that was the verbage used by the dealer. Haven't had any issues with it. I'd say go for it if you get it for a nice price.

Funny you mention a V-Rod in your first post. My riding buddy bought a low mileage V-Rod from a car dealer several years ago. We know the Sales Manager so it was a very sweet deal. Great bike but he sold it because he always rides his R1200 RT.

They weren't the worlds best highway or touring motorcycles ( yeah some people
ride them all over) , but they tend to be scarce on the highways . Peter

^^ funny you should mention that. The exact reason I sold mine was because of how poor it did on the highway. Fantastic bike, and great in the city and racing around back roads. But at 75 on the freeway turning 6200 rpm (no 6th gear), it was pretty awful.

I got my 2016 Audace new from a dealer in 2020. Apparently it was new (old stock) that they still had in Italy. At least that was the verbage used by the dealer. Haven't had any issues with it. I'd say go for it if you get it for a nice price.
Ok well this is good to hear. Maybe I'll still make a run at it, but I'm going to come in at about half what they're asking for and see what they say. Do you do much highway riding on yours? Is the bike a descent tourer (not in the bagger sense)?

But at 75 on the freeway turning 6200 rpm (no 6th gear), it was pretty awful.
Any Guzzi I have owned has been blessed with nice tall gearing for hiway cruising. Harley never got this (first hand experience talking).
With a 6-speed, I bet it's fabulous.

Ok well this is good to hear. Maybe I'll still make a run at it, but I'm going to come in at about half what they're asking for and see what they say. Do you do much highway riding on yours? Is the bike a descent tourer (not in the bagger sense)?
I would say the other versions of the 1400 make for better long distance cruisers. The Eldorado, California Custom, MGX21 etc. The Audace has the drag bars which aren't as comfortable. I updated the bars to 2017 bars since they angled them more comfortably. Also I put a Dart Marlin flyscreen on it which definitely helps make it a more relaxing ride on the highway. I usually only take it out for a few hours doing 120 miles or so. It's a fun bike, it doesn't feel like a cruiser to me while I'm riding it, more like a naked muscle bike. Other versions probably feel more relaxed and comfortable for longer rides. I don't regret buying it but if I was primarily interested in longer highway rides I'd be looking at something else.

Last edited:
I purchased a 2016 Audace last year in 2021 out of ACT, it had 16,000km on it over 5 years, one owner, no service records, sitting for 12 months, needed rego and RWC for Victoria (VIC). I contacted Peter Stevens Importers who tracked down evidence of date of sale and date and km of first service at 1,600km, both from a Moto Guzzi dealer in NSW. I completed a full service at 16,000 km with Rob Grant at Guzzi Spares VIC, basic service, new brake fluid, air filter ect, nothing unusual. The Moto Guzzi Club of Victoria person I spoke to about servicing recommend Rob Grant in VIC or Thunderbikes in WA. My only question is do they provide evidence of the first service at approx 1,000km. My bike is brilliant.

Back