• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Worth Getting Guzziology?

Doc

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi guys,

Having an 8V Griso, is there a benefit for a newbe MG owner to own Dave R's Guzziology? .... did I just hear a few old members turn in their respective graves at the thought of not owning this bible :)

As great as Dave's book is, it probably won't be of much assistance with the bike you have. It would be a good reference for theory and specifications, and may have the 6 speed transmission covered, but even teh 6 speed has had significant changes since it's first release. Much has changed with Guzzi since 2001. I use it for reference on the older machines (pre 2001-2000). Hopefully Dave will be updating to cover the newer models.

Doc,

I have version 5.4 which first came out in 2005. It barely touched on the Breva 750. I'd be surprised if the current version would have much on the Breva 1100, Griso, etc.

mine is v6.1 ? signed by Dave himself :p and it has the 1100 griso covered as well as the bellagio.

do yourself a favour email parts@motointernational.com and ask them what it covers on the 8v
but Guzziology is much, much more than any single model... a good 80% would be applicable to most guzzis, even non tontis and small blocks..

here is something I read elsewhere:

/snip
November 2008.
I bought my Guzziology last summer, directly from Moto International, in Seattle.

Link to MI: http://www.motointernational.com/main.htm

Link to Guzziology sample: http://www.motointernational.com/guz_spl.htm

The book is large-format (8-1/2" x 11"), soft bound with plastic deal that lets you open it and lay it flat on your workbench.
It's maybe 1-1/4" thick, and so weighs maybe 6 to 8 pounds -- so freight isn't cheap.
Book cost maybe $56 (plus shipping) last summer; don't know current price.

The title page says version 6.0, but the person at MI that I ordered it from said that it was actually v.6.1 -- they'd updated the contents, as needed, but hadn't reprinted the cover page just to change the version number.

I don't you'll find it any cheaper on eBay, or anywhere else.
It's an incredible Guzzi resource, and the updating aspect is solid gold since much of the content reflects the ongoing experience of Moto International's sales and service experience with Guzzis.

For that reason I suggest that you purchase your copy direct from MI. My logic: even if you find it at the same price elsewhere (Amazon has it, from time to time), the largest chunk of the profits should get to the author/publisher's hands if you buy it directly from him/MI. Therefore you are directly supporting one of the Good Guys Guzzi shops, and contributing more toward keeping the revisions coming out. Give 'em a call -- WG regular Greg Field is Da Man of MI's Parts Dept., so call Greg for your copy.

In U.S. call 800-949-MOTO
or 206-297-3822
MI is closed Sundays & Mondays.

/snip

Pete Roper used to say he'd fling Richardson some cash every other year for a new copy on principle alone... ;)

here is Richardson's :

Credo for Moto Guzzi Owners and Mechanics

Stock parts are always best — except occasionally when they’re not

Always fix the problem as well as the symptom

The only way to really find out if something is better is to try it yourself

Just because something makes sense doesn’t mean it’s right

Changes are as likely to be tradeoffs as improvements

Nothing is believable until you’ve made the same mistake yourself

Even if you cut it twice it will still be too short

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke — unless you know it’s going to break anyway

A big problem is easier to find than a small one

No easier or cheaper approach is ever the best way

Wrenches are brain tools, not hand tools

Rarely does anything work out the way you want if left to chance

Maintenance is almost always easier than repairs — and costs less too

And for your friends and motorcycling acquaintances along the way who wonder why you don’t ride a motorcycle with a name beginning with an “H”, just remind them that the best is rarely the most popular.

Never mind the relevance of this tome to the model in question. It is surely the existence of Guzziology that justifies the continuation of the Guzzi line and not the reverse. I can't imagine that any other manufacturer is so substantially endorsed. Despite the observations of my wife that I'm a bit sad, I often just dip into it's pages after my evening meal.

Guzziology is on Version 7.0, which covers through the latest bikes and the recalls and such. Just call the shop (206-297-3822 or email me at parts at motointernational.com. Dave'll signit for you.

Back