• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Would have been convenient if .... (inner spark plug note)

ohiorider

Cruisin' Guzzisti
...... if Guzzi manufacturing could have bored the access hole to the inner spark plug on my 1200 Sport just another 1/16" or 3/32" larger. I'm off tomorrow to a machine shop to have a 5/8" (or 16mm) socket turned down so it will actually fit deeply enough to engage the inner spark plug. I know, I know ..... a 'special' socket is available.

Re: Would have been convenient if .... (inner spark plug not

I've thought that too. But you could be the first to bore out the access so a normal socket will fit. Let us know how you get on. :evil: :mrgreen:

I turned a normal socket down - no more issues...

I priced, one day, the oil filter removal socket - the genuine special tool - at $450 I told them Iwould think about it. So from here on in, if I can't make something to fit, then it needs to go to a reputable service agent. So far, I done most everything...

Genuine special tools are for genuine special tools - and unaffordable for the rest of us...

A thin walled spark plug socket is readilly available and cheap, it fits all the Minis, some Peugeots and some Mercs. Do a search on ebay.

That's what I ended up buying. The genuine one was built like a brick shithouse, solid, dependable and way over priced. Funny that dealer is not an agent for MG or Aprilia any more. I wonder why.

In the end I spent around $13 bucks on a (dare I say it here) HD filter remover. Happy with the price I paid and has done many successful oil changes since. Remember the original one was for a six sided filter, which I no longer use either - having been using HiFlo Filtro for the past 5 years or so...

Recently I priced the Stage 1 kit for the 1200 Sport (2 valve) at over $2000 - this is what they gave away as a warranty replacement for the original mufflers that kept breaking - I only wanted the exhaust but not prepared to pay that much for one. The new ECU may have had some benefits, though.

Pricing/purchasing of genuine spares is not for the feint hearted. I remember seeing on this forum where a CARC was over $3000 (or it could have been higher) - I make a point of not abusing mine...

Oz1200Guzzi said:
where a CARC was over $3000 (or it could have been higher)

Try $4400 USD! If I ever need one I'll buy another Breva and part out the worst bike.

Made my inner spark plug socket with a hand grinder :) . It's fun making special tools :laugh: . The cheaper the better. My favorite is a 1/2"x1/2"x18" piece of wood I use to rotate the UJ, on Tontis, in place of the drive shaft when aligning the splines on the trans. It replaced a strip of cloth, $0, I used to use to support the UJ while I rotated the R drive splines with my finger tips - fingers couldn't take it any more.

Back